Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To "shake" or not to "shake"....

Ok so I've seen a lot of people say that for Breakfast they are doing the Protein Shakes. Some are saying they do Cereal. Doesnt that defeat the purpose of the band? If its liquid I would think that it would not fill you up through out the morning. Or maybe youre not hungry in the morning and that does get you by??? I'm asking because I'm tired of breakfast foods (eggs). I use to be a big breakfast eater, but I've found the band has taken the "fun" out of it. Which is ok! Honestly the band has taken the fun out of eating in general! But thats also ok, because that's how I got to be where I am today. (Overweight) Anyway I'm rambling, but I was just wondering how you morning shake drinkers do it.

I am usually pretty tight in the mornings and just have a Protein Drink for that reason. I was never a breakfast eater, but my nutritionist said you need to start the day with about a 250 calorie meal to get the metabolism revved for the day....my Protein Powder with skim milk works for that. I cant stand cereal in the mornings,,,,,it leaves me hungrier within an hour than if I have nothing.

I really need to get my Protein shakes in the mornings. I just knew my hair was going to come out, but it haven't. I also need to start taking my Vitamins again. Thanks for the reminder!

Be blessed!

I'm more open in the mornings than I am at night so I can eat well for Breakfast. I find I run better for longer with a big hit of good carbs in the morning - oatmeal, muesli etc. If I eat eggs or something just Protein based, I run out of steam and am looking for food by 10.30 so a Protein shake (if I could drink one without gagging) wouldnt get me through the morning by a long shot.

I've thought about it at night, sometimes at night I'm so tight I cant really eat (maybe 4 or 5 times a month) but I'd really prefer just to have Soup instead. I usually have individual serves in the freezer.

I've tried eating the right way before running and I don't see a difference. I've tried eating Kashi's an hour before I run and I don't see a difference vs. Protein shakes.

My big issue is water!!! Jacqui, maybe you have some suggestions. When I run I get sooooooooo tight! I can't even get Water down. Even if I drink a couple of bottles of Water before I run when I'm done I am so thirsty and I can't drink. Have you ever experienced this before?

I'm just starting out, but I've never been a breakfast person. I'm up for work at 8am, and I don't get hungry until about noon. Since being banded, I was doing a slimfast shake in the morning to get my Protein, but since I got the IDS New Whey protein tubes, I don't do the Protein Shakes anymore. I have noticed already I am tighter in the morning. I bring a fat-free yogurt or banana baby food for breakfast right now, and I can only eat a couple bites (but if I wait till later in the day I can eat 3/4 of it).. then I do protein test tube. Then I have Soup around 1pm for lunch. I take 2 flintstone Vitamins when I get home from work (5pm), and have some more soup for dinner for now. I usually have a snack around 8pm of sf Jello.< /p>

<p>I can drink after I run with no problems, but both Saturday and Sunday I went out for a run at about 6pm and finished getting dinner ready when I got home (it had been in the oven). I ate no solid dinner either night, ended up having Soup in the end because I just couldnt get it down. Exercise definitely makes me tighter, kills my appetite too.</p>

With eating before a run to make it good, I know there's a bit of debate about the need for carboloading now, and for the average exerciser, there's no need really. But if I'm entering a fun run that I know is going to be really long (I tend to just run out of energy at about the 9km mark), I do get up early enough to eat a piece of good stoneground wholegrain toast and a banana (maybe in stages, wouldnt get all that in at once) and have it digested before I run. There's no point eating carbs immediately before going out and running, it has to be digested for it to do any good. You want your muscles nice and full of glycogen for energy, then you eat the Protein foods afterwards so your body can repair. Only I dont normally do that bit because I'm not hungry.