Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lack of support

I had my l band fitted a year ago this month. (Privately) After my surgery the support I was given from my surgeon was great, I spoke to the nutritionist once a week. After my 3rd fill that was it I haven't spoken heard anything from my nutritionist, I have tried to get in contact a few times regarding different things. She had put me on a diet that she set out and I didn't lose any weight. I'm not blaming them for me not losing because at the end of the day I know it's down to me but I'm still learning and I felt like they just dropped me after I had give them my money.

Does anyone know of any good nutritionists that work with the band or any good advise??

Thanks in advance x

Hi Haley,

I know how frustrating a lack of support can be, but, if you don't feel like you are getting enough at their office, you've started here, by taking the care for yourself into your own hands!

It's time to buckle down! It doesn't matter how many fills you have had, it's the amount needed for a properly adjusted band- and there is no magic number- it's a different amount for each one of us.

Next, it's measuring the amount of food you are allowed to eat. We have no idea if you can eat more or less than each of us, but the general consensus seems to be 1 cup of food. Protein first, and if you have room and still not satisfied, eat your vegetables. Be mindful of eating small bites and slow down.

Drink your Water, as often as you can, between meals. Try to limit or eliminate Snacks, properly filled, you can go 4+ hours between meals.

Sadly, no one can be there 100% of the time to hold your hand, but, there are some awesome people on this forum to listen and offer support. In the non virtual world, I know one person with the lap band. We even text back and forth, so when you need some encouragement, reach out to the wonderful peeps on this site, someone is sure to extend a virtual hand to help you out.

Wishing you much success!

So, you've tried to make an appointment for a consult and they don't respond?

Your profile does' nt state where you are from. Let us know where you live and somebody will generally invite you to a local support group where you can get lots of support and advice. Good luck ! Hang in there !

Hi Hayley, the band works by dimming the appetite so you can listen to your body and make good choices. If I were you I would get in to see my surgeon to assess for a fill. He will ask you questions. Mine looks for the patient being satisfied on a tennis-ball sized portion of food and not hungry again for 4-5 hours. I would have one but not the other and we keep at it to achieve both, which is the green zone. None of us here were successful dieters -- that's why we got the band. But if it's not adjusted properly it is just a diet. I try to be sure to have real food well chewed, no sliders like shakes, crackers, chips etc. that will just go right down. Keep at it -- be proactive. We really have to be our own advocates. If the surgeon cannot see you for a fill assessment then you will need to find a new practice. They may just not be sure what you're after when you call.