Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

confused about restriction

Why on earth is Inamed certifying surgeons who they don't consider to be experts?

For the same reason they won't pull the certifications of the bad surgeons.

They certify surgeons based on a number of issues. If someone is really bad (I'm thinking of a Mexican surgeon right now) and Inamed knows it, they claim they can't pull the certification due to restraint of free trade laws. That's a bunch of crap because the surgeon is in Mexico. That law does not apply to him. In order for Inamed to sell bands to a doctor/hospital, the doc/hospital has to be Inamed certified. If they are not certified, Inamed won't sell bands to them.

At the same token, once they certify someone they won't pull it even though they know "X" surgeon is a really bad surgeon.

Surgeons do not consider themselves experts at banding until they have done about 250 bands, that is what the surgeons themselves are saying. Yet, Inamed will let a surgeon be a proctor if he has placed 100 bands.

The Johnson & Johnson band will be FDA approved soon, hopefully. Maybe things will change at that time.

so is there a thread where we can talk about fills and restriction issues?

I thought thats what this was..i must have been mistaken?

for what its worth, the surgeon i chose is across the nation from where i live, i got an out of network referral. hes done over 4k bands, and my insurance ( bcbs) covered it completely.

Now..is there someplace we can talk about fills and restriction?

so is there a thread where we can talk about fills and restriction issues?

I thought thats what this was..i must have been mistaken?

for what its worth, the surgeon i chose is across the nation from where i live, i got an out of network referral. hes done over 4k bands, and my insurance ( bcbs) covered it completely.

Now..is there someplace we can talk about fills and restriction?

How about the thread you are posting in? I mean, I realize that out of network referrals and the number of bands your surgeon has placed and which insurance you have doesn't have anything to do with restriction but that's the great thing about ALL message boards. They tend to drift at times because one topic leads to another. The better issue is that we can always go back on topic with a single post.

well ive tried to direct it back to the topic, as others have, and yet it continues to digress and stay in that direction.

so...can anyone recommend a thread to discuss fills and restriction confusion and issues related to that? or even...can you guys take your topic and create a new thread for that topic maybe?

or even...can you guys take your topic and create a new thread for that topic maybe?
Why? This one seems to work quite well. It is possible to have more than one conversation in a thread.

well ive tried to direct it back to the topic, as others have, and yet it continues to digress and stay in that direction.

so...can anyone recommend a thread to discuss fills and restriction confusion and issues related to that? or even...can you guys take your topic and create a new thread for that topic maybe?

Not sure why it's suddenly a problem. I've seen you post plenty of times in threads where there is more than one thought at a time in writing.

I wonder how many people go straight to Mexico because they assume they won't get approved? For example, Furellie weighed 206, pre-banding. Unless she's really short or has a serious co-morbidity, she probably wouldn't have been approved by insurance anyway, based on BMI.

I am really short - I would have been approved :eek:

I'm glad others are speaking out and pointing out that finding something cheaper isn't the main reason most of the people go to MX. AGAIN, since you seem to have missed it the first several times: If price was the issue and IF I knew insurance wouldn't cover it, I would have been banded in the US since that would ultimately be cheaper for me. I live less than 2 hours outside of Atlanta. Trust me, there's a plethora of "good" doctors. I just wanted the "best" :P

Denise - in my very unprofessional, but personal opinion, if you're not restricted, you need a fill. But make sure you're really not restricted. I can still eat almost what I want content wise, but I'm getting full a LOT faster than I used to even though I'm only .8ccs. I'm going to wait at least another 4-6 weeks before evaluating if I need more.

No, I am not losing 5-8 lbs a month. I went for two months without losing anything, then I lost 5 lbs. Now I am waiting to see if I am going to plateau again. I am going to meet up with my band friend this week. She has been banded for about 4 years. She will give me good advice as to whether I should get one. I don't really think I need one because I do get full pretty fast. My doctor didn't want to give me one the last time I was there, because that was when I had just dropped 5 more lbs about 3 weeks ago.

There is a place on the board marked fills. Aren't we in there?

I think we are discussing fills as far as I can tell. Do I need one? somebody

tell me!! I know I am the only one that can answer that for myself.

I don't really know what to tell you, Denise. If I'm not losing 5-8 lbs / month and am following the rules, my surgeon will recommend a fill.

Are you eating enough Protein? Getting in all your Water? Exercising?

Good luck!

i am losing and regaining the same eight lbs.

I think alot of it comes from my new TOM cycles. (every two weeks now)

but i am losing, just very very slowly. When i was here last time to get a fill (im in houston now) i was at 291 and before i left home i was 283. I feel swollen and im a little nervous about what the scale will say this time but im excited too. Its my third fill (i go for my appt in about two hours) and Im very hopeful. My surgeon says that around the third fill or around the three cc mark in a four cc band, most of his patients experience their "sweet spot" but monitor it because as they lose weight the may need small adjustments to keep the same restriction. I DO think it changes over time too...because i DO feel more restriction in the last week than i have in the last month.

So...

here i go! third filldom and hopefully some significant weight loss from here till next month.

woo!

Im staying in Galveston. I gotta tell you this...I rented an economy car from the airport (reservation with enterprise) and since i arrived so late, all their econs were out, so i had to make due with a new caddy!

im cruising around town in lavish luxury, all leather and mahogony interior..wow!

:biggrin1:

Please let us know how you feel after your fill. I want to hear how much it takes you to feel full or satisfied and if you are having any trouble. I am going to get one at the beginning of June. I am doing EVERYTHING I am told to do and not losing. Sometimes I eat small portions because that's what I was told to do, but I know I could eat a lot more. Sometiems I am full very fast but I get hungry again in 2 hours. My weight loss has been very disappointing and I think another fill is the answer for me too.

Sorry Denise! Is this better? It looks fine on my screen. What browser are you using? Try Internet Explorer...

I am probably not a great person to answer questions about fills. I've only had one and have not had a lot of restriction, but others here may have some great advice.

Just wanted to know how the weight lost is coming, since you have had one fill. I have had only one fill also, I was banded Feb 15, 2007 only lost 28 pounds since then. Not sure how long to wait till the next fill. :help:

Thansk,

Wallygirl

Hello Denise822. I too was banded by Dr. Tersigni in Coos Bay on November 14, 2006. My first appointment with him was June 7th but didn't jump through all the hoops until November. By that time I had lost 50 lbs. Surgery weight was 315. I've lost 40 lbs since being banded and still have yet to meet the sweet spot. There is slight restriction at 6 cc in a 10 cc band. This is really a mind game. The band isn't going to do it for you. You work with it. I see Dr. Tersigni again next week and hopefully this fill will make mine more effective. Hang in there. Time is on your side.