Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sugar Addiction

I would like to know if theres anyone out there who has or have heard of someone who has this problem? Im not talking about eating a doughnut here or there, I mean a true addiction. I have been reading a little on the internet about this, trying to find my self some help, but havent been that successful.

From what I have read you can have lots of health problems just from the sugar, and if you quit it suddenly you will experience fevers, headaches, fatigue, IBS symtoms, psoriasis, yeast infections, depression worsens.....(which I have experienced some of each of these)

Can this one food cause us so much damage?

How do you begin to escape the power it has over you to stop eating the stuff?

I am overeating constantly, daily, hourly!!! With this band and Im started to occationally have side pain. Seriosly I think I need to deal with this.

I almost feel like a junkie......In reality I am. If something impairs your judgement your addicted. HELLO, here I am. The only difference is that I cant go to jail for it. (Unless I start stealing twinkies or something..ha ha)

Let me know what you thought are..

Thanks ya'll

I think I am a sugar addict. I read somewhere that addiction to sugar is very similar to alcoholism because alcohol has a high sugar content. I have no idea if that's true. I was successful for a long stretch of time in cutting sugar completely out of my diet, along with refined flour, white Pasta, etc. I can tell you for certain that my appetite normalized--in other words I was not nearly as hungry as usual. Yes, I lost weight, but eventually did the backslide into my old bad habits and regained it plus some. I reach for Cookies in times of anxiety and stress in exactly the same way an alcoholic reaches for a drink. I find that counseling has helped me to greatly reduce that reaction.

Hope this helps...

Carol

Absolutely I have heard of it. I am an addict. The more I eat, the more I crave. I believe that the whole idea of low carbing is to attack the addiction head on by getting it out of your system.

The only way to solve this addiction is to starve your body of it. I have actually felt the pain of withdrawl for 3 days when I strictly low carb. That is eating fresh vegetables and Proteins and small amounts complex carbs only. The wonderful thing about getting it out of your system is that you no longer crave it, and your appetite for other food is in control.

Keep researching, it is very interesting.

I think I am currently a sugar junkie! I have just recently taken myself off of Chocolate....I am not having headaches or anything like that, but maybe it hasn't been long enough either. Its only been 3 days! lmbo. I too had to reach for the old Choco for comfort or satisfaction....I am on the mend and you can be too....lol. Am I selling something? Lmbo...POPT

It's so easy to feed the addiction now since sugar goes through the band so easily. In addition, artificial sweeteners do the same thing to me...make my blood sugar go up and make me crave sugar. I find that I'd just like an alcoholic. I can't touch sugar or I binge. I have to cold turkey off of it until the cravings pass. Then sometimes I fall off the wagon and binge. Just like an alcoholic....

Okay, i know I am not alone now. I have to eat icecream every night, and if I don't have it I go crazy. This is the problem, icecream goes through that band sooo easy!

There is a real problem when someone has a candida overun in their intestinal track. You crave sugar because it feeds the candida, then It can manufacture as much as 1 quart of alcohol in a day. The withdrawal from the sugar is really the candida slowing down the alcohol, and not producing as much as before. Long term antibiotic usage or a recent use of any strong antibiotic can kill all the healthy bacteria that usually balances out the candida problem. It can survive antibiotics because it is so large and prolific. It is always in our bodies, but it could be out of balance.

I had a Dr prescribe Probiotics that were enteric coated, so that they open into your small intestine.

If you have an energy drop about an hour after eating sugar it could be from the alcohol that is produced by these little buggers.

This is just a thought, as it does cause you to crave sugar. I hope you can find out why you are craving sugar so much. Good luck.

Stacy......one of the neatest tricks I have learned during this journey - if you put a container of mixed Protein supplement (my favorite is a RTD Micellar Milk, but a mixed up Protein Drink works, too) in a little ice cream maker and process it......you've got a wonderful frozen dessert that is pure protein, low cal, no carbs, and is sooo good!! I use a small Donvier ice cream maker....got it on eBay for just a few dollars (you just pour your mix in, stir it with the handle about every 5 minutes, and in 20 min. you have ice cream).