Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Discouraged

I have lost nothing in the last 3 weeks. I have been following the rules and eating much less than I did before. I am scheduled for my first fill on October 28 which is the earliest time available. Even if I need the fill, why doesn't the fact that I'm eating so little work? Just need to vent! Thanks. ;)

maybe it's time to increase your activity level, are you feeling up to walking? It could be the plateau phase I hear about on here too. Hang in there, I read that before our first fill we could even gain a few. Don't be discouraged, it's a normal phase, and to be expected. Think of those zig zag charts, and know that you are on a permanent downward trend!

Deb,

Don't be worried if your not lossing. No gain is a plus.

Don't know why you stopped losing for three weeks but the fact that you haven't gained is very good. You probably need that fill.

The dr will answer your questions.

Just remember that this journey requires us to have a smile at all times and NEVER be discouraged again because no matter what happens it should always work out to our advantage.

Good Luck

Greg

Maybe you are not eating enough? Lots of people with the band still have the diet mentality..that if you barely eat you will lose weight. Not true..you still need atleast 1200-1500 calories a day . Are you eating atleast 1200-1500 a day? For me anything under 1000 calories a day I will not lose.

If you have not had your first fill. It is very common to stall or even gain once you re-introduce solid foods. There are many threads here with that same sense of frustration.

If your Water intake is up to what it should be and you are exercising 3-5 times a week, at least 30 minutes, then now may be the time that you implement the bandster eating rules, which are Proteins first, veggies second, anything else IF you have room, try to keep the volume to 1 cup or less (some are adamant about the 1/2 cup), drink only up until 1/2 hour before and not again until 1 hr later - DO not drink while eating. Then, you may find it helpful to enter your daily intake in www.fitday.com just to see where your proteins/carbs really fall. Some of us can't lose taking in carbs at all, but even moreso if they outweigh the Proteins we're taking in.

Other than these suggestions, my suggestion is to relax, try to remember you are not yet filled and this is very common. The first 6 weeks is meant only for healing, any weight loss at this point is purely bonus! This is white-knuckle time until you begin getting fills and find your level of restriction. ;) Just so you understand, we've all been there. I think I gained the 12lbs I lost before my surgery, but it quickly came off once I started losing.

This too shall pass. :-)

Debbie,

Don't worry, once you get your first fill it will be remarkable. I felt the same way, I was so frustrated b/c after my surgery I lost about 10 lbs. then nothing for 3 weeks. I worked out, changed my eating etc.... and no weight loss. Within a week of my fill I lost 7 lbs, so it evens itself out. The band will work for you, you just need a fill.

Debbie

Deb, one year ago exactly I was thinking the same way you are. But look, you've lost 17 lbs in less than two months!! That's a fabulous start and you're already way ahead of the game.

Believe me, what you're going through is totally, completely, perfectly normal. The immediate post-surgical phase with the strict limits on solid food put your body in sort of a shock mode--sure, lots of weight came off quickly but now your body is saying "Whoa, Nellie!! What happened? Oh, good, she's eating again. Now let me hang on to all that yummy goodness!"

This is just the first of many times that you'll wonder the same thing. But have faith, and remember that even if the scale isn't showing it other stuff is definitely going on. Weight is just one element of what we're changing, and we need to keep our eyes on the big picture.

Good luck with your fill!! And I hope we'll get to meet at the next Abkin/Bertha support group meeting. :D

Thanks everybody for the encouragement. I have lost a pound since I wrote so I'm feeling better. Alex, I will be at the next support group. I was supposed to be last time but got flooded.