Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confused and bewildered...your opinion?

I have been looking at being banded for a while. I was actually approved by my surgeon back in November, but got a last minute denial from my insurance due to a written exclusion in my policy. I attempted to fight it, to no avail.

Fast forward to now. I finally decided to bite the bullet and go self-pay to Mexico. I've been very excited about it and THOUGHT my husband had been really supportive. However, last night I was telling him about my pre-band diet (basically the same diet as if I were banded b/c I'm low BMI) and his comment was that if I could just follow that NOW, I would lose weight without going through surgery.

Now I'm in turmoil all over again. Yes, he is right. I am now at the point that I'm doubting myself again. Have I honestly tried my best to do it alone? I am a "Lifetime" WW member, but then gained it all back plus some. I did Atkins for a while also and did really well, but again gained it all back plus some. Maybe my issue is just motivation and will-power. I've read other bander's posts that claim they have not been as successful b/c of a lack of both of these.

Am I wasting my time, energy, and money by going through all this? Maybe I would be better served by just dropping my money into a nice treadmill and making an honest attempt at using it. Or maybe that would be throwing my money down the drain as well.

AUGH!!!

Renee

Hi Renee...

I just wanted to say that if it was that simple for most of the people in here....well, they wouldn't be in here. My wife is like you. She can lose weight with the best of them. And it all comes back, plus. With her band, she is changing her habits about eating. And even if she starts to slip back into that OLD way, her band reminds her. Even prevents her from doing those "bad" things.

If after a long, hard fought battle with the legions of calories and carbs, you have managed to stand on the field of victory and proclaim your new low weight, but drop your guard for just a moment in time, most people will find those evil-doers once again marching to your defeat and gain. But with this wonderful tool, it will always be there to protect your weight and remind you that the battle may have been won, but the war goes on, always.

I have to tell you I heard the same thing from my mom. "Well if you ate like that or that little then you would lose weight without having to mess with your insides". I thought she would be more understand because she is also heavy. I was really upset because I felt like I needed her support. I decided that I was going to take her to the informational seminar so she can learn about it also. Hopefully all goes well!

However, last night I was telling him about my pre-band diet (basically the same diet as if I were banded b/c I'm low BMI) and his comment was that if I could just follow that NOW, I would lose weight without going through surgery.
You know what? You could close your eyes, click your mouse a few times, and randomly point to a LBT member on the screen, and chances are they've followed some sort of diet on their own, and had success. But they're still here, so eventually that success tapers away and the weight comes back. The band isn't about following a diet. It's about restricting portions without feeling hungry, and IMO - even more so about using positive and negative reinforcement to curb undesirable (food) behaviors. No diet does that satisfactorily.

It's completely different when you reach restriction. You can look at a diet that consists of the following, and think "I could just follow that diet, and lose weight without the band!":

About 1/4 of a yogurt container

1 piece homemade turkey Jerky

2 oz light tuna

That's what I've eaten so far today, without being hungry.

But you know what? You could eat just that without the band. For a few hours. Or maybe even a few days. But it's not realisitc to think that someone can continue to follow such an eating regime and ever be satisfied, and once you're hungry, your will power is going to give in eventually (there are exceptions, enter discussion about addictive personalities, etc.)

If it were truly that easy, none of us would be here. Including you. Tell him that. ;)

I too thought just yesterday that if I could stick to the low calorie diet or even do Jenny or something, I would save myself a lot of money, etc. I even went to Jenny's website and Nutrisystem's site. Then I realized I CAN do those diets. I HAVE done those diets and I do really well for about 2 weeks and then something happens and I relapse. Or, I lose some weight but gain it back and then some. So far, I am going in the wrong direction with my diets. I am GAINING weight!

I am a very determined person, as I am sure you are too. Weight loss has me whipped. I cannot do this on my own.

If I could go to a 30 day treatment center maybe I could but they don't make those in my budget anyway and I could not miss work for 30 days. I believe the LapBand will work. I have been reading this forum for a week now and I have seen the ups and downs and the ups have it!

It will be hard, painful, expensive --- and worth it.

I don't know anyone whose FIRST idea is to get a LapBand. Only after repeated failure would a person consider this. For me, there is no evidence that another attempt at weight loss would be successful for me without some serious help. The LapBand is my help.

I am hoping to have the surgery at Bajanor in Tiajuana in June.

Good luck to you. My rant is mostly directed to ME!

Thanks,

I have to disagree with what he said for one reason. True, I could loose weight too, many, many times, problem was, I couldn't keep it off. Then, after regaining I would add an additional 15 pounds. The band saved my life.

I too was self pay in Mexico and let me tell you it was a wonderful experience. The hospital wasn't a clinic it was a huge, full service, with trauma unit hospital. It was the same one our President goes to if he needs medical treatment while in Mexico, Santa Agracias. I had a suite with french doors going on a balcony to a private deck that was overlooking the mountains. My surgeon had done over 6000 bands and it was just a great experience. Please pm me if you have any questions.

Renee-

Who wants to live their lives constantly battling weight, not ME. I'm 39 and also had a low BMI.But I just got tired of the fight. Up and down- this gives me hope for my future. I've wasted enough time. I wish I had this done 10 years ago, but who knew????

You will just have to go with what feels right for you and whether he supports you or not will be his choice. You don't need to twist his arm to make him understand- he either does or doesn't.

When I had the surgery done (in Mexico 1-19-07) I didn' tell ANYONE. Well I did tell one very good friend just in case something happened. She is not a judgemental person so i knew i wouldn't have problems with her. But everyone else - I just didn't feel I would need to explain myself and I know everyone would have been wanting answers. Telling me whats best, how to diet, the risks, the money, etc,,,,,,,,,,,,

You only know how you feel. Good luck. If you do decide to go through with it you will be fine. I will tell you that several people including myself feel like 'OH no what have I done to myself" right after surgery. Kind of like buyers remorse. But you will bounce right back!!!

Janed