Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

There was a thread about this back in 2012 but I wanted to bring it up again. My surgeon uses an On Q pain ball and it looks similar to a jellyfish with a ball as the body. The "tendrils" are placed on the inside of stomach while you are still in surgery and the ball goes in a little fanny pouch at your waist. The tendrils have little holes in them and the ball releases lidocaine/novocaine and the effect is basically a numbing through your belly and at your incision sites. I've heard great things about it, most people who have used a pain ball with surgery needed less pain medicine at the hospital and very little medicine at home. I hear patients say they felt great when they woke up as far as their belly and the incisions. I'm super excited to use this so I can come back and tell you guys all about it. My surgery is August 1st.

It's something I'd definitely ask your surgeon about if you are very worried about pain..I'll report back soon! In the meantime, has anyone else used this post-op?

<p>There was a thread about this back in 2012 but I wanted to bring it up again. My surgeon uses an On Q pain ball and it looks similar to a jellyfish with a ball as the body. The "tendrils" are placed on the inside of stomach while you are still in surgery and the ball goes in a little fanny pouch at your waist. The tendrils have little holes in them and the ball releases lidocaine/novocaine and the effect is basically a numbing through your belly and at your incision sites. I've heard great things about it, most people who have used a pain ball with surgery needed less pain medicine at the hospital and very little medicine at home. I hear patients say they felt great when they woke up as far as their belly and the incisions. I'm super excited to use this so I can come back and tell you guys all about it. My surgery is August 1st. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>It's something I'd definitely ask your surgeon about if you are very worried about pain..I'll report back soon! In the meantime, has anyone else used this post-op?</p>

It actually releases bupivicaine. For many it is effective, for others not so much. It is commonly Used in procedures like hip replacements. You are correct in that using it lessens the amount of narcotics and thereby lessens many of the side effects caused by narcotics. My doc originally stated I'd be on a morphine pca but they ended up just giving me morphine as needed which was like twice. Good luck!!! :-)

It is attached to me right now but I don't feel like it is doing a thing!

I actually had no idea it was there or they were even putting it there until I felt it in my bed laying next to me.

My pain has been quite tremendous and they say that if I took it out early it would probably be worse.

I have a feeling I am one of those patients that pain medicines really do not work for...

I actually had no idea it was there or they were even putting it there until I felt it in my bed laying next to me.

My pain has been quite tremendous and they say that if I took it out early it would probably be worse.

I have a feeling I am one of those patients that pain medicines really do not work for...

I'm so sorry, I hope you can get some relief soon! My pain wasn't too bad after the sleeve so I'm praying I'll have similar results with the bypass. Keep us updated!

I'm so sorry, I hope you can get some relief soon! My pain wasn't too bad after the sleeve so I'm praying I'll have similar results with the bypass. Keep us updated!

Mine seems to be worse than what I have been reading of many others. I think it may have something to do with my Rheumatoid Arthritis, unfortunately. I guess I will have to just take it one day at a time.

Mine seems to be worse than what I have been reading of many others. I think it may have something to do with my Rheumatoid Arthritis, unfortunately. I guess I will have to just take it one day at a time.

My doc is concerned I have RA but wants to wait until after surgery to test me. I have a constant 99.8 ish fever and have had it every single time it's been taken at many different offices over the last year and I have bad psoriasis. I guess we will see after surgery when we do the blood work. I have lots of muscle pain but not much joint pain..do you have any of these symptoms? Maybe I should push to get the test first..

My doc is concerned I have RA but wants to wait until after surgery to test me. I have a constant 99.8 ish fever and have had it every single time it's been taken at many different offices over the last year and I have bad psoriasis. I guess we will see after surgery when we do the blood work. I have lots of muscle pain but not much joint pain..do you have any of these symptoms? Maybe I should push to get the test first..

Did he mention fibromyalgia or do a pressure or trigger point test? I have both FM and RA. The RA hurts more in the joints and the FM hurts more in the muscle.

(I ditched the quotes because they were getting long lol)

No, they didn't mention that. The other symptoms could be from something else, my surgeon didn't think much of it but my primary is the one who mentioned some type of auto immune based on those symptoms. I also had guallstones when I was three and a half years old and had my guallbladder removed at age 5 which is close to a record I believe, I was case of the month at a major pediatric hospital..we have always wondered if that somehow tied into anything because it's so very rare. I also have chronic kidney infections and was born with an anatomical issue which was fixed with two surgeries but I still take profolactive antibiotics and get breakthrough infections. I'm not sure if I should see an immunologist or a geneticist? I also had major complications with the sleeve which is why I'm revising to a bypass.

Probably way too much info, it's just really weird having all these rare symptoms.

No, they didn't mention that. The other symptoms could be from something else, my surgeon didn't think much of it but my primary is the one who mentioned some type of auto immune based on those symptoms. I also had guallstones when I was three and a half years old and had my guallbladder removed at age 5 which is close to a record I believe, I was case of the month at a major pediatric hospital..we have always wondered if that somehow tied into anything because it's so very rare. I also have chronic kidney infections and was born with an anatomical issue which was fixed with two surgeries but I still take profolactive antibiotics and get breakthrough infections. I'm not sure if I should see an immunologist or a geneticist? I also had major complications with the sleeve which is why I'm revising to a bypass.

Probably way too much info, it's just really weird having all these rare symptoms.

If your dr thinks you may have an autoimmune disease, you should start with a Rheumatologist. Your internist should be able to refer you to one. I am not sure about waiting or not waiting until after the surgery to do this. If you are started on some type of biologic you will have to stop it prior to the surgery and then after the surgery at your surgeons discretion.

If your dr thinks you may have an autoimmune disease, you should start with a Rheumatologist. Your internist should be able to refer you to one. I am not sure about waiting or not waiting until after the surgery to do this. If you are started on some type of biologic you will have to stop it prior to the surgery and then after the surgery at your surgeons discretion.

I will definitely do that but I think it's best to do it after surgery and after everything is calmed down a little bit with me. I couldn't get my surgery scheduled in time to take classes as a full-time nursing student this semester so I have to take a whole semester off as a break. I'm halfway through and it's not the end of the world but also not ideal. The good part is, I'll have this whole semester to get my health back in shape and will be completely free for doctor's appointments galore! I am also glad I get to have some down time while I adjust to another surgery and let me esophagus heal from the erosion caused by the first surgery.

Maybe they will find something, that would be awesome..until then I'm crossing my fingers for a successful bypass!