Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone follow this diet post op? I don't bother with fat, I worry about keeping my carbs low. sugar free everything and full fat everything. It must be working...I've lost 61 lbs in 12 weeks! Remember, when it says light or fat free the fat is replaced with sugar. Read your labels!!!

I'm sad to say that I got slammed pretty hard by my surgeon during a recent follow up for doing this. Apparently Atkins is high protein/high fat and my post-op diet is supposed to be high protein/low fat (obviously this is my program and not everybody else's)... It really sucked because I thought I was doing pretty good on the nutritional guidelines, but I guess not! I did change up my diet (as instructed) and it broke the stall I was in, but now I'm in another one. So frustrating. Congrats on your amazing success, btw! That's so awesome!

Edited by Shells_Almost_There

Isn't it amazing the differences between doctor's and what we are instructed to eat post op after the liquid phase. Overall to me the post op diet does really seem to resemble Atkins, I.e. Low/no carbs high Proteins, but the difference seems to be the fat content.

This is a journey and not a diet. This is a program and not a failed diet.

Did diets work for you before....no! That is why you had the surgery!

Fix your brain. Retrain it to look at the reasons why you used food to comfort yourself and change the way you see food. Not as a reward or a comfort but to nourish the body only.

All these diets have major flaws that is why we could not stick to them...

Please learn how to eat healthier putting your Protein in first, next vegges, fruit and last carbs. 64 oz's Water and off you go...Your on the run to success.

The body will follow if you fix the reasons why you love food as a form of comfort.....:)

I know too many people who got really sick on Atkins to think about trying it. Plus, most of the Atkins meal substitute bars, etc., have really high sugar alcohol content, and I can't have that.

I just follow the instructions my doctor and NUT gave me. That seems to be serving me well thus far.

Isn't it amazing the differences between doctor's and what we are instructed to eat post op after the liquid phase. Overall to me the post op diet does really seem to resemble Atkins, I.e. Low/no carbs high Proteins, but the difference seems to be the fat content.

What's funny is my doctor doesn't tell me what to eat, just to follow the nutritional guidelines of the program and keep carbs and calories low. He lets the Nut and surgery program manager hand out the dietary instructions and follow up. I guess I'm on a sort of modified Atkins now, eating Protein, low or no carbs, but mostly low fat also. The only off the shelf Atkins product I buy is the shakes to mix for my morning Protein shake. Otherwise, I just eat healthy Proteins from Whole Foods and am really watching carbs and sugars and chemicals. Since I'm not eating much, I'm trying to make sure I'm not adding the hormones and antibiotics and junk to my food.

I didn't mean to be on a quasi-Atkins diet, but by focusing on Protein, I'm full before I can think about adding much else to my meal so hard to avoid being protein centric. I also eat low fat cheese, almond cheese, some cooked onions and peppers, and a bite of fruit now and then. I feel good, am losing and not violating my diary rules I hope. Next visit with the Nut is Aug 15 and I think she just wanted me to be eating more by then but I'm still at 3-4 Tbsp per meal.

With all due respect I suspect we are all on a high protein/low carb plan. With that being said The South Beach diet includes high Protein and low fat if my understanding is correct so what is the difference???

I've modified the Atkins plan by eating natural sugars, those found in milk (not low fat) fruits, vegetables and grains. I'm in no way sitting down to bacon. My cheese, sour cream is full fat and I occasionally use real butter. I don't want the refined sugar that replaces the fat.

With all due respect I suspect we are all on a high protein/low carb plan. With that being said The South Beach diet includes high Protein and low fat if my understanding is correct so what is the difference???

I've modified the Atkins plan by eating natural sugars, those found in milk (not low fat) fruits, vegetables and grains. I'm in no way sitting down to bacon. My cheese, sour cream is full fat and I occasionally use real butter. I don't want the refined sugar that replaces the fat.

The amount of fat is the different between Atkins and South Beach, if I'm not mistaken. Plus, South Beach allows you carbs, but good carbs rather than any carbs (based on the glycemic index) Admittedly, it's been a few years since I looked into South Beach (which was my doctor's recommendation for a lifestyle...he was very careful not to call it a diet, because according to him, diets fail, and what I needed was a lifestyle change, not a diet. Which is what I ended up with, although I also have my handy sleeve as a tool to aid in the lifestyle change)

And I have no problem having a piece of bacon every once in a while. I don't do it daily, but I have had a slice on a few occasions. It's okay on my NUT's dietary list, so I don't see a reason to not have it on occasion.

Just to be clear my doc nor nut told me to follow Atkins, I was simply commenting that it is Atkins like, ya know low carbs high Protein :)