Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Largest incision site opened

This morning I was sitting in bed brushing my daughter's hair and then looked down and my night gown and sheet were soaked with blood. My large incision site on the left had a small spot that busted open and it was bleeding heavily. I put pressure on it and it got worse and I realized it was old blood, most likely from the very large bruise and golf ball sized knot under the incision. I'm all bandaged up now and have a call in to my doctor.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there anything the doctor could do or is this par for the course? I gotta admit it was quite scary and FREAKED out my poor kids.

PS- Surgery date was June 30th

Owwwiieee! I have one incision that bled on me the night of surgery (soaking the gown, dripping on the floor)... the nurse that was walking me to the bathroom said, "Oh, honey... I'll get you a pad" and I laughed and told her "It's not coming from there!"

That incision has taken a long time to heal and every time I removed a bandage from it, it would bleed again for about 2 weeks. The surgeon said the stitch inside must have torn but as long as it wasn't red, painful or hot, it would be ok and it has been. It's still the ugly one.

Glad you called your doctor but I think you'll be ok.

Yikes! Did the doctor call you back yet?

Doctor said that it is the hematoma at that site that is draining. It was a huge baseball sized bruise (ugly) for the first week. It's turned black and purple now and shurnk down some... but not a ton. It hurts. I guess all that old blood is draining there from the site (sorry, that's so gross).

I am so sorry. Do you have strong pain killers left? Sounds like a good day to use them!

I think I am having sympathy pains for you. Like, I felt my stomach clench when I read this!

Take it easy and feel better!!

This sounds awful! How are you feeling now? Better, I hope...

It is still draining a lot. This morning I have some sharp burning pain at that site. But I guess it could be worse! Hoping it stops before Thursday. We are headed to the beach with some friends who don't know about my surgery and I really don't want to have to tell them!

I am sorry it is still hurting! I hope you can have fun at the beach- are you allowed to go swimming? My doc said no swimming for a full month.

I am sorry it is still hurting! I hope you can have fun at the beach- are you allowed to go swimming? My doc said no swimming for a full month.

That's a good question! I know they said no fresh Water but not sure about pool or ocean!

How long did it take to stop. My initial bleeding 5 days post op was like a waterfall of grape jelly. My poor 19 year old son had to rescue me. Did like you and 4 days later still drain albeit little post-242242-14177356049585_thumb.jpg

.........@@emsgirl114, Please tell me that you've seen your doctor about this.

Edited by BitterSweet*

He saw in hospital. I keep calling and they say just let it drain. I may just go to urgent care. That was day 2 or 3. This was the next day. Now it's lighter. And draining post-242242-14177397802177_thumb.jpg