Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi from TX...let me introduce myself!

Thank you JosieB for your replay...

I had a huge break through last night!!!!!!

We (my DH and I) are being flown to Houston on Tuesday to see the town. In looking at their indurance plan, they have an exclusion for WLS. SO, you know what that means.

We talked most the night and decided that this was important enough to get on this ASAP, so we will Self Pay and be on my journey sooner than the 6 month diet road block. I am so happy to know that in 18 months, when we have to officially relocate to Houston, I will be the me that I see in the mirror. :clap2:

I know the journey will be a long one, but I am confident that with the support on these pages and the great Bandsters that I will meet, it will be successful.

Funny isn't it. We struggle talking to loved ones about theses issues, but we will type till out hearts content to strangles online. It's the comfort level of knowing, everyone knows exactly what your saying and really understands. I have been reading these boards for a while and I am so excited at the overwhelming support that old and new Bandsters give to everyone.

THANKS EVERYONE, for giving me the courage to do what I knew needed to be done, but didn't have a place to make sure I was doing the right thing.

Stacie,

Where does your daughter do gymnastics? My boys go to Acrosports. I didn't know LA Fitness was opening up in Bay Colony!! I thought 24 Fitness was...maybe they are both coming??? We belong to 24 Hour Fitness, so I can't wait till it is there...we live at 646 and 45 (Victory Lakes).

Let's keep in touch.

(are we supposed to talk back and forth somewhere else? I don't mind anyone reading all this, just didn't know if we use the forum for this...I'm new to message boards, so don't know all the etiquette stuff)

Thanks!

and hey!! You are doing GREAT!!

My daughter goes to Dana's Gym in Santa Fe. I heard LA Fitness and 24 Hour Fitness were both opening there. I am new to message boards as well so I put my number on the private message. This kind of stuff should really go on the private since it is not lap band info people are interested in.

Kathy-Do you want to get together for a cup of coffee or something? I'm a Spivak baby too, and I'd love to cheer you on. I'm in northeast Harris County and can travel. Anybody else? Maybe somewhere on 45 south of downtown Houston? I hope that's not too forward of me, but I sure would have liked to ask a banded person some last minute questions before my surgery. It's the best thing I've ever done for myself.....

Mommytokk and whoever else might want to go play....

10:30 AM Monday

Starbucks

1037 W. Bay Area Blvd.

Webster TX, 77598

United States

Hi Ladies (and any gents)

I'm also from the South side area of Houston! Nice to see others here. I visited Dr Spivak for one of his seminars and consults. I'm in the process doing self pay and hoping by the end of summer to have a surgery date with Dr Spivak! My insurance has an exlusion clause for any type of weight related surgery. Go figure! You'd think the insurance companies would realize it's probably less expensive in the long run to pay for surgery of this type than long term illness!

ok...me: I'm a "young" grandma (lol) to 4 wonderful, beautiful little ones. 3 handsome grandsons and 1 princess. They keep me busy.

I'd like to be around a lot longer to be an important part of their lives, but MUST get this weight off my body in order to do that.

I'd already had the gall bladder removed and one knee replacement.

What else can anyone tell me about Dr. Spivak and the whole process. My big concern is the pain from "gas" in the upper chest area. Is it real bad? Do you feel like you are suffocating or is it just uncomfortable?

THANKS and hope to chat with MANY of you soon. :hungry:

Welcome Nana! I was self pay too. They told me that no bariatric surgery was covered because the employer didn't choose to buy that coverage. It's probably packaged along with other "optionals", I would guess.

I was told to do all sorts of things for the shoulder pain, but I tell you, it was a lot easier to just medicate it. I walked, did a heating pad, but mostly just ate chewable Tylenol. GasX didn't help me at all. Tylenol did. It's a sharp pain but you live through it. Small price to pay for a life of losing weight.

Spivak is great. The operation itself for me was amazingly quick. My husband and I went in, and Dr. S had arranged for a bandster with Lupus to be there to talk with me. I have Lupus. It was a nice touch. Then knocked out, fast surgery, and woke up sick to my stomach for a short while. Drank Water to make sure it went down, and then home to rest. I dozed much of the afternoon, and then steadily got better. Gas pains lasted about 3 days, progressively better. I had no restriction until my 3rd fill though, so it took awhile to be able to live like a bandster.....