Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi from TX...let me introduce myself!

Hi...my name is Kathy, and I live in the League City area (south of Houston). I have 2 precious boys, 6 & 8, and a wonderful husband of 12+ years. I have struggled with my weight all my life, yet have been blessed with good health. But, I am so very tired of being tired...I love to exercise, but just can't find the motivation to do so (once I get to the gym I'm fine...it's just getting there!!!) I am also tired of trying to find clothes that (1) fit, (2) look halfway flattering, and (3) look as if they were made in THIS decade! Anymore, I am satisfied with something that just fits. I am ready to get on the floor with my kids, and not be so stinking hot in the summer, and not be worried about the seatbelt when I fly on an airplane, and buy clothes at The Gap, and do so much more!!! I am soooooo ready!!! I am scheduled to be banded by Dr. Spivek on May 11th. I am nervous, excited, scared, thrilled...you name it, I've felt it!! I have been doing as much research as I can, but I have a couple questions...

First of all, I have read a lot about pre-op diets, and it seems many are on a liquid diet for several weeks prior to surgery. Dr. Spivek only suggests a low-carb diet in order to shrink the liver. Does anyone have an opinion about that?? (like, are you glad you did the liquid diet??) I keep wondering if I would be more used to a liquid/soft diet following surgery if I were doing it prior to surgery (not to mention the added benefit of LOSING some of this weight even before the band!).

Other questions: How soon did you go in for your 1st fill?? Did you feel restriction even without a fill (just because of the band)?? How soon did you exercise?? How soon before you were able to eat more "regular" foods??

Sorry this is so long...I wish I were sitting in a room with a bunch of you so I could pick your brains!!!!! I know Dr. Spivek has a support group that meets on Tuesdays...I guess I should just go to that and ask all my questions there!!:girl_hug: But I can't sit there in my pj's holding my cat Max while I find answers!! (like I am doing now!!)

I am so thankful for this forum...I have read so many posts, and it has done nothing but get me more and more excited to jump on the band wagon!! Please wish me luck, and I wish all the best for all of you...you have NO idea how your words have helped me. I feel prepared, and ready to start this awesome new phase in my life!

If anyone else out there is ready to be banded, let me know. We can muddle through this together (with the help of all those bandsters who boldly went before us, of course!!).

God Bless!!

Kathy

Kathy,

I am ready to be banded. I am at the starting phase of getting insurance approval. I have Dr. appt over the next few weeks and have to do the 6 mos. diet, UUGH.. thats another issue. Are you self paid or did you get insurance approval? I want this so bad. I want to work out like the 'normal' people. I want to be active and happy again. I want to do this for the future, so that cheating is not an option. To have that reminder there 24/7.

I have 3 young kids and a DH of 8 years. He is supportive, but at the moment, he is putting ALOT of stress on me. You would understand image issues and being comfortable in your environment. Well, he received an offer tonight for a new position that he can't afford to turn down. It is in Houston. We live in the Dallas area and we are consumed in this area with activities and my job. I was reading tonight and saw that you are South of Houston. That is the area we have been told to look towards. Sienna Plantation area. We have a year before we have to consider a move and I am at the point of 'commute'. Emotionally, I dont think I can do a new city, knowing NO one, with new activities. I saw your post and thought I should write.

He will commute for a while, but eventually, we will have to move too. What can you tell me about that area? What other nice areas are around there? Near Hockey rinks, ???

I would love to hear more about your journey to be banded. I would like to do it soon, so that I have the time to recoup before my busy season starts back un in the fall.

Thanks for listening to me. It's late and I am stressed. I feel the blood pressure rising... GREAT!!!

mom of 3 cuties.

eljmom:confused:

thanks for your reply... I am self-pay, so do not have to go through the 6 month diet supervision. That would be so hard for me!! When I get my mind set on something I want, I want it NOW!!! My insurance (Boon-Chapman PPO) have an exclusion for "weight control" coverage, so I didn't even explore it. Maybe I should have sent an appeal, but right now, I don't even care. I want this so bad!

Sienna Plantation area is nice...growing a lot, but very nice. I think that is in the Fort Bend ISD. We live east of there...more towards Galveston. We are in Clear Creek ISD, but my kids go to Friendswood ISD because my husband teaches there. FWD has exceptional schools, and it is much smaller than CCISD.

It is so hard to move, especially when you have to make big changes. Are your kids involved in activities?? I know we have met tons of people through our kids' sports. I'm sure you will meet lots of great people. (doesn't make it any easier though!).

Good luck to you...and I pray that you have peace about the whole situation. Who knows?? Maybe the move will be the 2nd best thing that has ever happened to you (the 1st being the band!! HeeHee!)

God Bless,

Kathy:)

Hi Kathy - I was banded by Dr. Spivak on April 4 and everything is going GREAT!!

About the pre-op diet, I would suggest that you just do as they suggest. "getting used to liquids" will translate in reality to "being sick and tired of liquids" before long, trust me. Enjoy eating a healthy low-carb diet because 4 weeks post op of nothing but fluids and mushy food gets real old real fast. I would kill for an Asian chicken salad right now...KILL!!!

You go for your first fill at 4 weeks. Mine is scheduled for 5/4. I'm 3 weeks out and for the last week or so have felt very little restriction....but am still easily able to get by on about 800 calories a day without a feeling of deprivation. Last night I was scrounging around looking for something to eat to UP my calories....didn't make it! I know it's hard to wrap your head around these concepts, but trust me, it's the truth.

I started exercising about 10 days ago. Joined LA Fitness and started on the treadmill. Quickly moved to the recumbant bike and elliptical for about 45 mins total/day. I work out 5x/week. I am not allowed to work with weights or swim or take aerobic classes until at least 4 weeks post op.

I feel like I could easily start regular foods now, but am sticking with the post op diet for my stage: nothing with a heavier consistency than baby food.

Let me know if I can answer any more of your questions. I'm here to help! (...and BE helped!)

Best of luck to you.

Terry,

WOW! You're doing great! You are less than 3 weeks out and have already reached 20% of your goal!! I know it will probably slow down, but what a great start!!

Good thought about the liquids...I'm sure I will get sick of them soon enough! What type of foods are you eating?? Are you doing Protein shakes?? Are you pulverizing food??? Or are you choosing foods that are naturally soft? (Did you feel kind of "lost" at this point? I have tried to read as much as I can, but I still don't know if I have a grasp on exactly what I am supposed to do. I guess that's why I have so many questions. I hope I'll have a feel for what I can and can't eat. Have you experienced any spitting up at all?? I'm not sure if that happens with liquids and soft foods...

Can you tell me what your typical day is like?? (as far as what you are consuming) Also, are you able to find places to eat out? I'm guessing you stick to Soups, etc. We are on the go so much, and tend to eat out a lot (one more reason why I can't beat this weight issue). I have tried to think about just what I'll order in the future.

I wish there was a book "Lap Band for Dummies" or "Idiots Guide to Lap Band". Hmmm...now there's an idea!

Thanks, Terry, and blessings to you!

Kathy

Terry,

WOW! You're doing great! You are less than 3 weeks out and have already reached 20% of your goal!! I know it will probably slow down, but what a great start!! Thanks! I hadn't thought of it that way! :girl_hug:

Good thought about the liquids...I'm sure I will get sick of them soon enough! What type of foods are you eating?? Started off eating creamy Soups, smoothies, and Protein drinks. Now I'm eating a lot of cottage cheese and pears, broccoli cheddar Soup, chinese soups with tofu added, scrambled eggs, quiche, cream of wheat, fish, cooked vegetables and mashed potatoes, refried Beans and guacamole. The other night I pulverized some roast beef and mixed it with my mashed potatoes and gravy -- it was delish!

Are you doing Protein shakes?? No, not now. Sometimes I'll have a little one for a snack or to boost my Protein.

Are you pulverizing food??? Sometimes, not often.

Or are you choosing foods that are naturally soft? Yes.

(Did you feel kind of "lost" at this point? No, it all makes sense to me and is falling into place.

I have tried to read as much as I can, but I still don't know if I have a grasp on exactly what I am supposed to do. I guess that's why I have so many questions. I hope I'll have a feel for what I can and can't eat. Have you experienced any spitting up at all?? No. I'm not sure if that happens with liquids and soft foods... Your first few days post op you are swollen, just like restriction from a fill...so it could happen. But as long as you chew well and eat slowly, it's fine.

Can you tell me what your typical day is like?? Breakfast is cottage cheese and pears; lunch is broccoli cheddar Soup or egg salad; dinner is fish and veggies. (as far as what you are consuming)

Also, are you able to find places to eat out? We eat out 90% of the time!! Luby's, LaMadeline, Quizno's, Jason's, Panera (all good soup places), mexican restaurants (for the Beans & guac) I'm guessing you stick to soups, etc. We are on the go so much, and tend to eat out a lot (one more reason why I can't beat this weight issue). I have tried to think about just what I'll order in the future. In the future I plan to eat whatever I like, just a lot less of it!

I wish there was a book "Lap Band for Dummies" or "Idiots Guide to Lap Band". Hmmm...now there's an idea!

Thanks, Terry, and blessings to you! You're welcome! -Terry

Have a great day!

Terry,

Thank you so much!! I envisioned sitting down at the table and popping open a can of SlimFast for the 1st several weeks!! You seem to be eating perfectly normal foods!! (and I love them all!!) You have eased my mind a lot...

Have a GREAT day!!

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

I was banded on 4/6/2007...I did the pre-op liquid diet...it was three or four slim fast(optima) for the first 3 days...the fourth day you can eat a small green salad with only root veggies...and fat free dressing...you have to lose one slim fast for the salad(so only 3 slim fast a day)......also, you can have sugar free Jello and diet drinks.......crystal light....and sugar free tea....I really and truly did not have any problems with this....you fill full enough...the slim fast optima, really does curb your appetite...I have lost 23 lbs since the surgery....of course after the sugery, you are on another two weeks of liquid...but....after the surgery, it is much easier to not want to eat...you feel pretty full...I will have my first fill on May 17, 2007.....I have had no problems...and I really am so glad I had this done...:clap2: :nervous

Hi Mommytokk....I have my consult on Friday, so I am hopeing to have my surgery around May 10th or 11th. We will have ours on the same day or close even. I am self-pay as well, and I am glad you have asked all of these questions because I was on the verge on asking myself. Thanks! Good luck and keep us posted on how everything goes. I will do the same.

Mommytokk:

I live in the Houston area....on the NE Side near Crosby. I am going in for my orientation on Wednesday and am excited about it. I have BC/BS and the plan I have requires taht I have a 6 month physician supervised diet before they will approve me so I have to do that before I can get banded so I'm hoping by the end of the year I'll be joining the club.

It's neat to find people in the same part of the country as myself on here!!! Good luck and best wishes!!!!

Terry: I hope I do as well as you in such a short time. I have a lot to get off so I'm ready to get started!!!! Keep up the good work!!!!

Amanda,

Good luck with your consult. Hopefullly we can keep each other updated, since we will be banded about the same time.

Kathy

And BigAsLife,

Thanks for the info...sounds like you are doing GREAT!! Wow...23 pounds! You are doing awesome!

Kathy

Hi Kathy, my name is Stacie. I am 37 with two kids ages 3 and 5. Oh yeah, and a husband. ;) I live just south of you in Santa Fe. I was banded by Dr Hollis last Friday 4/20. I have lost 12 lbs since friday. The first day was real rough. Sooo much gas pain. I was sick to my stomach. Are you going to the Surgicenter of Houston off of S. Main? I know Dr. Spivek uses that facility sometomes. That is where I went. I work in Clear Lake at JSCFCU. We should keep in touch. Good luck with your surgery.

hi kathy (mommytokk)

i was banded by dr spivak on 3/30 and i have to say (i know everyone feels their Dr. is the best....) but he is the best (for me).

i went to his seminar on wednesday and had surgery on friday (i was self pay). so follow his direction regarding pre-op. i was thrilled i didnt have to do the preop liquids....as terri said...afterwards you will be sick enough of liquids. i dont know if i wouldve made it doing both pre and post op.

i am in katy. not sure how far league city is (i just moved here in October) but we are starting a new group up here on thursday nights. if anyone is interested i can give you the info

i hear you re: shopping for clothes in regular stores. i think this is one of the biggest "prizes" that is motivating me...

hi eljmom,

actually your move may be a blessing in disguise. i lived in NYC before moving here and thought that would be the best place for an operation like this. but the experience of the doctors and support here in houston is quite amazing to me....

good luck girls

Hi Stacie! Nice to talk with you! How are you feeling now? You are off to a great start! I am having my surgery at Park Place (Park Plaza? Park Something!) I am nervous, but more excited. I think I am most nervous about knowing exactly what to do! On that note, I have some questions...

Did you have any special pre-op diet? If so, how long did you follow it? I am supposed to be on low-carb, but it is so hard for me. I would rather count my WW points and go that route (but I'm not sure if it has the same effect).

What kind of foods are you eating now? Is it hard to find things to eat while at work or when eating out? (we tend to eat out a lot...we have 2 boys playing baseball, and it seems we are at the ball park more days than not...then, of course, we go out with teammates!)

When is your 1st fill? I think with Dr. Spivek I have to wait 4 weeks.

Did you go back to work soon after your surgery? I am scheduled on a Friday, and plan to go back on Tuesday. Did you take much time off? And are you doing any walking or anything? I really do like to work out (believe it or not!), and hope that I will be especially motivated once the weight starts coming off. Have you tried anything?

Gosh, this is getting long...sorry! Thanks so much for your reply, and yes, lets keep in touch!

Hi Stacie! Nice to talk with you! How are you feeling now? Each day gets better. Still sore at the port site.

You are off to a great start! I am having my surgery at Park PlacePark Plaza. I had my daughter there. Only because Allison came through and flooded Hermann Hospital. (Park Plaza? Park Something!)

Did you have any special pre-op diet? I was supposed to follow the low carb, low fat but I couldn't. I ate like a pig for two weeks.

What kind of foods are you eating now? I am still on Clear Liquids but can have cream Soups and applesauce tomorrw.

Is it hard to find things to eat while at work or when eating out? I haven't been out to eat yet. I just bring a Protein shake for Breakfast and chicken broth for lunch and a Jello every now and then. I have found myself drinking alot of coffee. I keep getting these pains in my chest like heartburn. It sort of feels like I need to burp but it won't come up. Especially after I eat.

When is your 1st fill? My first fill is not until 6 weeks. Reading all this stuff about people having problems after a fill is freaking me out. Did you read about sliming and PB?

Did you go back to work soon after your surgery? I am scheduled on a Friday, and plan to go back on Tuesday. I had surgery on a Friday and came back Monday but it was too soon. I left after lunch and stayed home Tuesday. Yesterday was my first full day at work. It is uncomfortable but tolerable. My bra hits right were my port site is when I sit due to a fat roll. Hopefully that will go away soon. Today I am down two more pounds. I ahve not really missed food that much if I stay away from people eating giant barbque baked potatoes and brownies in front of me.

And are you doing any walking or anything?I am not a big fan of exercise so I haven't started doing that yet. I belong to Curves but plan on joining LA Fitness when it opens up at Bay Colony. Maybe we could be start together. I know it is hard with kids to find time to work out. My daughter has gymnastics on Wednesday's and my husband does shift work so when he is on nights I have to get the kids and exercise is out of the question. Maybe LA Fitness will have a daycare center.

Better get back to work for a while. talk to you soon.