Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why i braved this surgery

In one word it was for my "son". Today he came home very upset from summer camp and when I asked him why he was upset he said "is it bad to have a big tummy?" I immediately had a lump in my throat because I knew someone had teased him about his weight. My son is a sweet energetic child who enjoys karate and taking our dog for a walk... He is carrying around some extra lbs but is not obese. All I ever wanted as a parent was to spare my child things like this which is why losing this weight is so important. I want to be a good role model and show him that you can be healthier if you work at it. I'm really sad and needed to share this. Thanks for reading..

I know how you feel. I don't want my daughter to be overweight like me...she is told that she is beautiful, gorgeous, pretty etc. on a regular basis, been told she needs to do pageants, be on The Disney Channel...you get the point! I'm hoping when I go walking and eat less she will too, God Bless!!!

I do not have my own children, but I do understand (to a point). I was teased and bullied from 5th grade on due to my weight. It was horrible and effected me deeply. I always thought that if I had a child I would do everything in my power to keep this from happening. Seems like you are doing all the right things to be a great role model for him. I will be keeping yall in my thoughts and hoping for a brighter day for your young man.

My oldest son was teased in the 7th grade for being chubby/ husky, and then puberty hit and he shot up in height, he became king of the hill in school. He is now 6'3" and weighs 190 and is thin. Keep your son active, baseball, basketball, etc. keep him with you riding bikes, walking, etc. Make sure your pediatrician is supportive too. Ours was wonderful and would tell us and our son " you just wait and see what puberty does for you" my son's bmi was 26 at the chubby stage, so he wasn't obese. Continue to be his champion :)

I have two wonderful kids. My son is 11 years old and is 5'5'' and 165 pounds. He's not a typical 11 year old. I know it's hard when your kids get teased and picked on. And everybody wants to protect their kids from it. But I think talking to your kids and telling them what to do if it happens again can be more empowering for them. It's amazing what you can't hide your kids from but also give them the tools to take care of them selves when your not around.

Thanks to everyone for your kind thoughts. My son is still feeling the sting today and after I found him doing crunches he refused to eat breakfast....I'll just keep telling him how much I love him and what a kind person he is

Thanks to everyone for your kind thoughts. My son is still feeling the sting today and after I found him doing crunches he refused to eat breakfast....I'll just keep telling him how much I love him and what a kind person he is

The problem with kids is that kids will be kids.... if your son was a normal weight, I promise ....the other children would find something to tease him about ....it's the age and the stage ....the challenge is that being overweight is whats makes him an easy target .....it's the type of thing that he cannot hide .....if you teach your son how to cope and love himself he will be emotionally prepared for all the different stages of bullying because ultimately he's going to face it all his life.....

Just my two cents - Twin Mom Here!

Shelby