Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My pre op is taking for ever! The doctor said I have to lose 10% of my weight. 4 months ago, I been going there to check my weight and for now I lost just 6 lbs, today they said well you can lose 5% of your weight so go and lose 7 more lbs? I'm hungry and I can't lose weight! They told me is an insurance requirement, my bmi is 36 I have sleep apnea. On top of me losing weight then I'll have to be on a 2 week shake before surgery? I'll never make it. I should have went with booths and weight to my legs on my first weight in, so couple months later I would have just taking off the weight. Grrrr this process makes me more hungry!!!!

Don't give up you can do this the liquid shakes will help you loose weight as well just focus on one day at a time. We are all here for you.

Don't give up, you have been working so hard and for so long to get to surgery. Maybe start now with a shake a day as one of your meal. I'm on day 4 of liquids and down few oz shy of 7 lbs

Edited by LisaCoffin

Don't give up, you have been working so hard and for so long to get to surgery. Maybe start now with a shake a day as one of your meal. I'm on day 4 of liquids and down few oz shy of 7 lbs

Is it your insurance's requirement to be above a BMI of 35, with co-morbidities; or a BMI of 40 without them? Would losing that much weight disquality you?

They told me that insurance looks at my bmi when I started but is the doctor who requires me to lose 5% because he want to see I'm committed to change style! If I had the strength to lose weight in my own why would I risk my life on a surgery like this????? I started today and by dinner time I already fall of the wagon! Probably I'm going to start again on Monday! But one question is on the back of my mind after surgery how am I going to keep good off my face?

Also the medical assistant who check me in today, said there are people bigger then you that lose weight why could you do it? I was so mad! I told her you don't know me and can't talk to me like that! I made a complaint to the doctor about her. This is a bariatric center, no one should be judging in there.

First, I suggest you stop telling yourself you can't do this! There are rules for pre-op to shrink your liver so help avoid damage during the surgery. Post-op, there are rules on what you can and cannot drink or eat so your stomach has a chance to heal, & so you'll feel most comfortable.

To be successful long term, you need to find a way to curb emotional eating. If you don't make the "head game" right, you will re-gain weight after the surgery. That might be the reason the doctor is requiring this.

Two books have helped me:

Emotional First + Aid by Cynthia Alexander (the bariatric one)

From the First Bite (& other books) by Kay Sheppard

Good luck! You can do this.

Ditto to what Beaglelover said. If you are going into this with an "I can't do this" attitude, then I guarantee you can't. You have to realize this whole thing is a mental game. The surgery does not fix anything when it comes to attitude, willpower or emotions. I'm sure you've gone through some counseling for insurance requirements, but maybe you need to talk more in depth with a therapist. VSG surgery will not necessarily fix your hunger or your cravings or make your food choices for you. Your statement that you will try and start again on Monday is a red flag to me. Why wait? Why not start today. Weight loss is not a part time job.

I was also required to lose 5% of my body weight on my preop diet. I stuck religiously to my preop diet and managed to lose 22 pounds instead of the required 12 pounds. After surgery, I had another 6 weeks of restricted diet which again, I followed to a T. True, my appetite was greatly decreased, so that part wasn't so bad. But at 3 months out my hunger returned and I can eat anything I want. It takes plenty of self control and a good attitude to continue to lose weight even with the surgery.

The book suggestions above are a great way to help start preparing yourself mentally, knowing what to expect, and to understand the limitations of any WLS.

Personally, I feel your pain. My surgeon has a requirement that I have to lose 10% of my excess weight in an 8 week pre-op program before they'll clear you for surgery. Not an insurance requirement. I sort of thought, if I can lose weight without surgery, I wouldn't be here people... :)

I am just being impatient. With no requirements for a pre-op diet, I am a month in already and I'm looking at a surgery date sometime in October. I know time will go fast but I'm so anxious.

Thank you all for your advise and understanding. Weight has been a struggle all my life.

I did talked to a therapist for insurance purpose, but let's be realistic 1 hr appt will never be enough to address my emotional eating. I think should be a requirement to help this process to meet 4/5 time before surgery. When I say I can't do this! Is because I lost weight in the pass many many time, 2011 I lost 60lbs on weight watchers and 5 days exercise. Then some how I stopped working out etc and regain all my weight back . I need a tool to help me. I'll look into those books.