Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New-My introduction.

Hi everyone!

My name is Sally and I am a hopeful 21 year old from Houston, TX wanting to get "banded". I'm 5'10'' and currently weigh a whopping 265 lbs with the BMI of 38. Fortunetly, I don't have any health issues (other than obesity, of course) but I am well on my way seeing as how both of my parents are diabetic and have high blood pressure. My mom is currently in the process of trying to get approved for a gastric bypass surgery.

I tried my first diet (the Atkins diet) at the mere age of 15. I lost 40 lbs and found myself gaining some it back within a year,so I tried Weight Watchers. I lost another 20 lbs and was at my lowest weight ever-160 lbs! It was my junior year of high school and I felt and looked great, little did I know that I would put all of that hard work down the drain. By senior year, I had gained 20 lbs but was still "skinny". Fast forward through college and to tell you the truth, I don't know how I got to weigh 265 lbs. It's insane and really depressing. I am trying extremely hard to watch what I eat and I just end up yo-yo dieting. I haven't had a period in 7 months and I'm sure it's because of my obesity. My weight has fluctated drastically within the past 6 years and because of this, I find it extremely hard to "diet" and stay on a "diet". I'm at my peak and don't know what else to do and I try my hardest to put a smiling face for my husband, when deep inside, I'm the saddest that I could be.

I am so young and newly married and I have my whole life ahead of me, I don't want to live it being obese and sad.

I felt like my prayers were answered last month when I saw a commercial for the lap band surgery. I quickly approached my husband and mom about it and they both said I was crazy (yes, even my mom). They said that I'm not "big enough" for the surgery and I just need to get on a diet. I listened to them and figured they were right.

Then last night I had a dream that I got the surgery. It felt so real and words cannot explain how excited I was in the dream. I woke up to sadly realized that it didn't really happen but I feel like this was my sign to go for it. I am now excited as ever and I approached my mom and husband about it once again. My husband gave me his blessing and surprisngly, my mom said I should go for it.

Now I'm doing tons of research and taking my first steps to getting the surgery. I am a newbie at heart so any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sorry for the long novel but once I start, it seems I can't stop!

By the way, let me just add that my mom's choice of doctor was Dr. Spivak from Houston, TX. I'm going to be going to same one and just wondering if any of ya'll had him as your surgeon.

Welcome, and GOOD FOR YOU! Way to take things into your own hands and get control of your weight. I know there are many people on here who have used Dr. Spivak and who have said lots of good things about him. Perhaps you should do a search of his name on this site and see what you come up with. I know there is a Texakana support group--maybe they are connected with him? I don't know but remember seeing the two names/groups together in posts.

Do all the research you can! It's just so incredibly helpful to know what to ask your doctor, how to be informed about complications, what to expect from insurance and self-pay options, how to deal with the pre- and post-surgery diets, etc., etc., etc. There is SO much information here--I spent almost a month before I was banded just researching this site alone and more time researching my doctor, the procedure, etc. There is so much to think about and absorb.

I'm just over a month out of surgery and have my first appt. to see about a fill on Monday. I'm excited but nervous; however, I'm so much less nervous having read so much about fills and everyone's experiences. If you go to the thread call "March 2007 Bandsters" you can get a good idea of how surgery went for all the people banded in March. Now they are posting in the thread "Marchies in April" and that gives you a good idea of what is going on now. There are so many helpful threads I could point you to but those are good starters--just explore, explore, explore, and ask lots of questions.

Here's a helpful site that your mom may find interesting as well, since you are considering different surgeries: http://www.lapsf.com/weight-loss-surgeries.html

Good luck to you and to your mother as well. You are going to accomplish great things!