Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Was anyone nervous??

I have decided that I want to go ahead and get banded. I am very nervous about the whole thing. I know I need to do this for my health. I have never been to fond of needles or any form of surgery (I had an appendectomy when I was 5 - maybe my fear stems from that??) I have also had 2 babies, naturally and no drugs so why am I so scared??

Maybe I'm just letting my nerves get the best of me. Any encouraging words..or even an idea of what happened when you got there on the day of your surgery would help. Then I can prepare myself for what will happen. Thanks (I'm such a wuss!).

~Dawn~:)

Hi Newdawnings, welcome. I cannot tell you anything about life after band as I still have nother 10 days to go. I can tell you that when I made the decision to go ahead a was as nervous as you. My best advice would be to hang around this board. There is so much information and so many nice people that all your questions will be answered before long. When is your date?

Susan

Hi Dawn,

I was really nervious too. I flew to Toronto the morning of my surgery, checked into the hotel and went right to TLBC. It gave me no real time to think about it that day. I waited about a min in the waiting room and they took me in to sigh papers , get changed, weighed, met the doctors and then off to the OR.

It was very fast and they were all so nice. answered all my questions.

Don't worry it will all be fine

Congratulations on your decision :clap2:

Yes, I was really nervous and that's to be expected. I went ahead with it and came out victorious! Everything went well, one thing that REALLY helped me was me. I spoke postive about the surgery and my healing. I didn't have any complications as far as the band, but I had to battle the gas pains. So speak postive before the surgery and during the healing process! Even once the band is in, continue to speak positive about your weight loss goals.

Good Luck, Be BLESSED!

Once I did it I thought this really was not so bad. The gas in my shoulder was painful, thank god for gas x . Some people that I have read about ,did not have any gas pain. Lucky them

I was very nervous before the surgery, but more than that I was excited. I admit that the night before surgery every bad thought about outcome running through my head. I think that is pretty normal though. the next day as I was getting ready and then finally waiting in the office I just kept saying to myself picture the best case in your head and focus on what you want to come out of it with. It was hard but I managed to stay really calm. Of course no one prepared me for walking in to the O.R. and lying myself on the operating table. That was werid and I think that is when I started to really get struck by what I was doing. 5 min later I was out like a light and when I woke up no biggie. :)

It's normal to be nervous but don't let it get to you to much. Just follow the rules that your Doctor gave you and focus on the good things that will come out of this. You will be fine. :)

I wasn't nervous because I was so ready. I had fought my insurance for five months, I had fought to the point of being militant. No, my anger and mostly my resolve and cemented into my countenace. The procedure was another thing to do to get there.

We've all had different experiences.

It is natural to be nervous about the whole thing, whether it be the pain, the concern about how it will work after your surgery and every other little detail that you can fret over.

Dont worry, it is not as bad as you could possibly make it out to be in you head.

Andrew

My surgery was on Friday and I was back to work on Monday. I was still a bit sore but not too bad. I also did not want anyone to know that I was having anything done, so one sick no one thinks twice.

I think the fear is pretty normal. I'm the type of person that once I put my mind to something LOOK OUT! My surgery is this Thursday and I wish I could just wake up and it would be over. I can't wait. Good luck and trust me you are in good hands on this website.

Sheilamj1fan -- you are doing incredibly fantastic with you weight loss!!

Well, my hubby and I have an appointment tomorrow at the bank to see about getting a loan for my WLS. I am keeping my fingers crossed as we haven't paid off our van yet. If approved then I will book my consult. Then reality will set in! In my research here and on other sites, I haven't come across too many deaths from this surgery. It puts my mind at ease that I am choosing the right WLS. I don't mind self-paying for something that is relatively safe. I would be hesitant on any other WLS. Thanks everyone for making me realize that I am doing the right thing. Let's just hope the bank thinks so!!:nervous

~Dawn~

YES,so very nervous about the procedure about life changes, about the money , about people finding out, and about it not working.....I hope with more fills I will be able to see some good results, for now I will say sometimes we just have to close our eyes, trust, and make the leap. Good Luck Dawn and Donna