Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had my 1st fill

Had my 1st fill at 3 weeks 3 days post op. I have a 10cc band and received a fill of 2cc. The first day was a little weird with the filling of being tighter. Do you all have a weird feel to your restriction of the band? It is not painful but feel like the band is constricting as your food digest and it can be a little achy but not hurting or painful. My surgery was done in Kansas, MO however, I go locally to get band fills. After my 1st fill she has released me to cardio workouts only no weights as yet. I want to exercise but sometimes I just don't feel like 30mins a day. Do anyone else have this issue? I know as I lose my energy will go up and maybe I will have that desire to workout more. My food choices are limited because I don't know what to eat so that I don't gain weight. I'm sticking with what I know is safe. I am tired of Protein shakes been trying to eat Protein packed foods. Since fill I have been dropping the pounds.Trying to stay under 40 carbs a day and getting 80 grams of protein is very challenging.

I had 5 incisions and my main incision and 2 others are looking real good. The other 2 are not healing like the others. One is right above the waist line and keeps getting rubbed so it is taking longer and it did bust and Fluid seeped out. It now has a hard crusty scab over it I will be happy when it heals 100%. The other one seeps every now and then it has a hard crusty scab over it also. The nurse that does my fills say they look ok they are just taking longer to heal, if I start running a fever let her know and she would put me on an antibiotic. I am a diabetic and know that we sometimes heal slower however 3 of the 5 incisions are healed. Today I have bee so tired haven't done anything different but today I just wanted to sleep. Do anyone have those kind of days? Sorry for being so long winded. Any suggestions are welcome.

Rose

rose2014 You seemed to be really early for a first fill...but all doctors are different...those first few weeks your band is still getting into place and you are healing. so just be really careful as to what you are eating...because you need to remember you are still healing okay!!! Let me know if you have need me okay? Congrats and welcome on board the Lap-Band wagon!!! :D

Did your doctor not give you instructions to not eat any solid food the first 24-48 hours? Most docs put new filled patients on a liquid diet the first 24-48 hours. The added pressure from the fill can cause some additional swelling and eating solid food so soon can only exacerbate the swelling.

Hi Rose, congratulations on your band and now a fill as well -- sounds like you're on your way. Try to keep up with the 30 minutes of exercise and that will really help -- you will have so much more energy as you get further along. You'll see! About the slower-healing incisions, I sometimes have a sore place under my bra line and I tuck a square gauze pad there. Maybe you need those for your waistband? I get the softest ones. Best wishes! My post-fill instructions are to take it easy but most people have liquids for a few days.

@@rose2014 The feeling you are having is what restriction feels like. As others above said stick to the liquids and mushy foods for a while. Every doctor has a different protocol when it comes to giving fills. I didn't have one until nearly 12 weeks out from surgery, but that is the way my Dr. works. He is very conservative when it comes to adding Fluid in the band.

Since you are already feeling the band as you eat and drink I would say a few more days on the liquids and mushy foods can't hurt you. I know that's not the best foods to choose from but you don't want to force food down when it sounds like you are still a bit swollen from surgery and now a fill. Give yourself a bit of time to heal. I had a regimen of 2 weeks liquids, 2 weeks mushy and 2 weeks soft after surgery as I said my doc is very conservative after the surgery.

I had a similar issue with one of my incisions being short and short waisted my lower incision and port incision were always getting bumped and rubbed and irritated. The waist incision burst on me and Fluid drained and it eventually healed up nicely. Keep them clean and dry and as bandista said maybe try a gauze pad to keep it from rubbing the scab off.

Lisacaron, thanks for clarifying what restriction feels like. My doctor said liquids day of fill and then back to solids as I can tolerate them. Next day I was ok however, know that I know what restriction feels like I know what im feeling. my waist area incision gets bumped all the time and it had busted on me. It is now scabbed over but I will be happy when these last 2 incisions heal up. I am keeping them dry and clean along with a piece of gauze draped over it not taped down.

Bandista, thanks for the tips and the congrats (smile). Being banded has changed my life in such a short time. Losing weight and having non scale victories is such a BIG deal for me. As I mentioned above the next day after my fill I was ok.

2muchfun, I did not eat solids until the following day however, the fluids and Soup that I ate I could feel the pressure but now I know that, that is what restriction feels like.

Mike57, thanks for the encouragement and I will be taking things slow. I thought the fill was kind of early too but she says they start fills at 4-6 weeks and since I had started solids I lost weight but not enough where she did not think I needed a fill.

Thank you all for the feedback!

The endurance to the exercise will get better the more you do it

Had my 1st fill at 3 weeks 3 days post op. I have a 10cc band and received a fill of 2cc. The first day was a little weird with the filling of being tighter. Do you all have a weird feel to your restriction of the band? It is not painful but feel like the band is constricting as your food digest and it can be a little achy but not hurting or painful. My surgery was done in Kansas, MO however, I go locally to get band fills. After my 1st fill she has released me to cardio workouts only no weights as yet. I want to exercise but sometimes I just don't feel like 30mins a day. Do anyone else have this issue? I know as I lose my energy will go up and maybe I will have that desire to workout more. My food choices are limited because I don't know what to eat so that I don't gain weight. I'm sticking with what I know is safe. I am tired of Protein shakes been trying to eat Protein packed foods. Since fill I have been dropping the pounds.Trying to stay under 40 carbs a day and getting 80 grams of protein is very challenging.

I had 5 incisions and my main incision and 2 others are looking real good. The other 2 are not healing like the others. One is right above the waist line and keeps getting rubbed so it is taking longer and it did bust and Fluid seeped out. It now has a hard crusty scab over it I will be happy when it heals 100%. The other one seeps every now and then it has a hard crusty scab over it also. The nurse that does my fills say they look ok they are just taking longer to heal, if I start running a fever let her know and she would put me on an antibiotic. I am a diabetic and know that we sometimes heal slower however 3 of the 5 incisions are healed. Today I have bee so tired haven't done anything different but today I just wanted to sleep. Do anyone have those kind of days? Sorry for being so long winded. Any suggestions are welcome.

Rose

Great Job On Your Weight Loss Thus Far..Bee Proud Of Yerself..

Thanks SandyM I sure hope the endurance kicks in soon. Industrious Bee thanks, I am proud however, you know we want to see the pounds come off quicker. How are you doing? Congrats on your weight loss also!