Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not about the patients...really

I have been struggling for sometime. In 2012 due to stressful diagnosis of cancer for my husband I had all the Fluid removed because I was having issues. I decided to wait, and recently just decided I would get my band filled again. I have been so nervous and a wreck because the last time, I had so many issues and I am scared to death to have those again.

I made the appointment to get my fill on a Wednesday, they don't do Tuesdays because that is surgery day, Fridays for some other reason. Mondays and Thursdays with my work are not good. It's 70 plus miles for me to drive EACH WAY. My husband has to be at his cancer center on Wednesdays each month for some treatments and labs, so that day just works.

The snot that they have working the front desk, she is just nasty anyway, called and said they aren't doing Wednesdays anymore. She changed me to Thursday, which means I would have to take additional time off from work, pay more in gas to go down two days in a row. Cancer has been financially devastating and I just can't do it. I'm so upset. I don't know if anyone else has discovered this, but if you live within like 600 miles of your surgeon, nobody else will touch you. There is a place closer, but because they consider my surgeon "close" they will not accept me as a patient.

It's not about the patient anymore, it's whatever works for them. Hardship on you? Oh well!! Too bad!! Such a disappointment. Now I will have to wait another month and try to schedule hubby's treatment on a Monday. It's devastating because I was ready to try again.

Sorry to ramble,

Wendy

Hey Wendy,

Any chance you could phone your dr's office and request a call back from the physician? Perhaps if you were to calmly explain your situation, he/ she would at least make a one time exception until both your schedules can be adjusted?

Unfortunately, the doctor is sometimes the last one to know there is a problem in the office. Good luck, it sounds like you have had enough stress to deal with.

I can try. I haven't seen or talked to my surgeon since my surgery in 09. I have always seen the nurses. It's a bit frustrating, they got rid of the last one because she was hateful only to add another. I tried telling her this was really my only day and she just said well we can't do it.

Who does the fill? A surgeon? If it's the surgeon, they usually have specific days they do surgeries and plan months in advance. If it is the surgeon you can't expect him/her to drop cases to come in for one fill. It's not cost effective. Some surgeons do other types of surgery or they teach or take time off. If it's a PA or someone else in the office I agree that you should ask to speak to the doctor to see if he will make other arrangements for you.

Without full knowledge of what the doctor is doing on any given Wednesday I don't think you can lay the blame on him/her. I understand your position but no one seems to understand the doctors position??

As far as Fridays go, my office does not do them in that day incase it is to much and you need an unfill. That way you can come back to the office and get the unfill vs going to the ER

My surgeon did the first fill (he operates on Thursdays and Fridays) he has a bariatric clinic that does the rest of them, but they don't do them on Fridays either...only unfills if needed. I think most places are set up like this...the only thing you can do is ask for an exception to the rule...or like you said work around your husbands schedule. So sorry to hear about his health issue...I will keep him in my prayers okay...monkeysnana09!!! Take care!!!

My surgeon has several offices in this state, and has APRN's who did the fills. Very professional, and the closest office is 3 miles away; the main office is about a 15 mile drive. I can have a fill or unfill scheduled for almost any day of the week... once when I was stuck they took me right in and did a quick unfill (needle left in) and when it passed, then reinjected the removed Fluid. I can understand why a surgeon doesn't do post surgery follow ups, but any good practice should have qualified APRNs to handle post op visits and problems. I see too many posts where unqualified staff are screwing up and mising ports, or injecting fluids into the body instead of the band. That scares the hell out of me.

I've always felt that a candidate for WLS should shop for the best surgeon, one with an excellent track record, and an outstanding support staff for post op care. 600 miles is way too far.... if you were stuck, what would you do? Too much risk.

@@monkeysnana09 I love what @@Kitt3000 suggested. Give them a call and speak with the doctor directly. Let them know all that you have been going through and where you hubby is and that you are there on Wed. for your hubby and really need the help if they can provide you with that same day.

I'm sure the doctors will help you out that's what they are there for. Don't tell the snot at the desk or the person you get on the phone why you are calling just ask to speak with the Dr. directly. It's personal and urgent. They will put you through and hopefully they will be able to work with you.

We all understand the busy life of Doctors, Surgeons, Nurses and PA's but sometimes we need a little help also.

Let us know how it goes!!

It never has been the surgeon. I have not seen the surgeon since my first post op appointment in April 2009. It's always been the nurse. They now don't do them Tuesdays-Surgery day (understandable), Fridays (yes so that if it needs adjusting it can be done understandable) and now Wednesdays-no specific reason given. I was just told we just won't have anyone here to do it. I work and live over 70 miles away, so it isn't a "quick trip". I did call back and the lady said no they can't make an exception. I told her I had already asked for that time off and had already scheduled it and couldn't they just do this one. She said no. So I guess they won't do it. It's not that I have to make two trips to the same building in two days, it is the financial end. With a husband with cancer, money isn't exactly growing like wild fire on the tree. Not only is the co-pay costly its expensive with gas prices. I even asked if they had a location or doctor up here that could see me and she said no. I guess it is what it is right. I tried though. 20 minutes of trying. She ain't budging.

I have to tell you that I am really upset to hear that this office won't even work with you. Talk about hard a** what is up with that? Not everyone can fit themselves into the office schedules.

Did you try looking up another Dr. in your area that does the lap band on this site? Give it a go, you might find someone closer to you that can work the fills for you.

lisacaron, I did call another bariatric surgeon office, and because I "live" close enough to my original surgeon office, they will not take me on. Conflict of interest type thing. Had I just moved here from out of state and needed to be seen, they would take me on. I even tried that route. Pretty frustrating I know. My surgeon is a highly recommended bariatric surgeon, but if they can't make office hours good for everyone, what good are they really. So still not sure I will get filled next week. It's a struggle to take time off from work. Is this a sign?