Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Three weeks to go!!

Hi everyone, my name is Rebecca. I'm getting my band on May 14. Its only three weeks away. I'm excited but I'm also really scared and nervous. This site has really been helpful with questions I have had. If anyone has any suggestions or advice on what i should be doing to prepare for my surgery i would really appreciate it.:help:

Ruby,

I started exercising about 6 weeks before my surgery. I would TRY to walk about 1/2 mile . It usually took me about 30 minutes. I felt large and like people were looking at me. I just told myself well at least I am doing it!!! After surgery I waited 7 days to start back on my 1/2 mile. I just wanted to be extra careful .

I also bought a book called WLS for dummies. The best advice I got out of it was don't treat every meal like your last meal .

I made sure I ate at my favorite restaurants too. Now at 9 months post surgery I have been back at those same restaurants and just couldn't the same volume. That was a myth I made in my mind. I thought I wouldn't eat again . Ha . I eat like a bander not a 255lb person.

edie

I would say to start making a habit out of small bites, lots of chewing, and taking a break between bites. You will be surprised eating that way, that even pre band you get full faster---well maybe not faster---but on less food. Time is a big thing---if you eat slower, you will eat less, by the time your body decides it is full.

Wean yourself of of any carbonation. Some people say they still drink it, but at least for awhile you will be off of it, now is a good time to get those habits gone.

Try to do the same with sugar and high carb foods. Eventually you will add these back to your diet if you choose, but to eliminate them now, reduces the cravings for them you will have while on your liquid diet post op.

Practice the no drinking with eating rule. It is easier when you slow down, but it still takes some getting used to! If you start introducing these changes now, it will be less of a sudden shock following surgery.

Like Edie said, start moving. If it is nothing more than parking out in the end of the lot at the store, and walking in. Anything you do is better than doing nothing!

Get all your post op diet things on hand. Test some Protein drinks, see what you do or don't like, and stock up accordingly. Prepare some meals for the family in advance and freeze them so that you don't have to "cook" every night during the time you can't eat. Make sure you have some Gas X, a heating pad, liquid Tylenol, and Tucks. Talk to your surgeon and see about getting your pain med Rx ahead of time, so it can be filled and waiting for you, instead of you possibly hurting and waiting for it!

The last few days, get your laundry done, change out the sheets, do the things that will allow you to feel comfortable lazing about for a few days.

And in my opinion(for what it's worth!!!) one of the most important things you can do is to take a set of before pictures, front, side, and back. Stand against a plain wall or a door, something that you can stand in front of again in the same way to take your progress shots. Also take measurements, detailed measurements! Around your neck, upper and lower arms, as well as all the usual bust, waist, hips, thighs....believe me you will be glad you did!!! Write them down in a notebook, or journal them on line, whatever, somewhere for just you to see and compare. There will be times you are not losing weight, and you will feel discouraged, and when you hit those times, and can go and measure and see that even though the scale is sitting tight, the inches are falling off---it helps your state of mind tremendously!!!!

The last thing, is to stay in touch with all of us here, we will be waiting to welcome you into bandland!!! And by the way Rebecca---welcome to LBT!!! This is an awesome site!! They are in the middle of some upgrades right now, and things are a little different to navigate, but give them some time, it is going to be even better than before!!!

Kat

I have to say that I have done all of the things Kat is suggesting for you to do. And as a result I've lost...well you can see my ticker, I forget what # it is now. And that is PRE-OP. I haven't been banded yet. I wanted to prepare myself for all the changes I will have to make. I figure if I make them now, it may be easier later. It hasn't been that difficult to do any of these things, I think it's because I don't HAVE to right now, it's my choice to do it, and it makes me feel really good to have made some healthy choices that have made a big difference.

I've been using baby/toddler utensils for my meals when I'm at home and it has helped immensely. That and setting down my fork or spoon between bites. I can't believe I could taste any food the way I would take bite after bite before.

I still have to do the house cleaning and try the "test tube" clear liquid Protein to decide which one I like, but other than that, I'm fairly set. I've got my heating pads, Gas-X, liquid Tylenol, chewable Vitamins, baby food that I like (for the mushy stage), blender, etc.

Good luck and welcome!

Try this forum for other info:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=73