Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any July 14th sleevers? What tips do you have for me? :)

July 15Th....I'm super nervous about the preop diet about to start in on the 1st.Just trying to breathe and remind myself how hard I have worked for this point.

I'ma llittle. Concerned that my doctor has not said anything about a pre op liquid diet. Another person I know that had the same doctor said he ate good rightuup to the day before

The diet is designed to help shrink the size of your liver so the surgeon has more room to move around in there. If I were you I'd do it for at least a week on my own. It is for your added safety during surgery.

Mistbizkit - My surgeon has the same requirement, no pre-op diet. He just wants me to eat light the night before. My surgery is July 8 and I plan on eating very light for the week before.

Great tip someone had about asking the surgeon to get as much C02 out before closing. I am all for a little pain from gas as possible. Good luck everyone.

female-58

• rcorser84; So you should be starting your preoperative diet soon? Apparently some surgeons have folks do the diet and others don't. Mine did, with the goal of shrinking your liver so it is out of the way during surgery. By carefully following the diet, (I assume) they only needed 4 incisions instead of 5 during my surgery - hey the fewer holes in you the better! The pre-op diet also gets you used to the Protein shake concept which will be your entire diet for 2 weeks after surgery. Walking soon after surgery and often is important to prevent clots forming - which most hospitals obsess over these days. My biggest problem immediately after surgery was a little bit of nausea while I was in the recovery room (they give you drugs for that) and it was quickly resolved), also I had horrible cotton mouth for 24hrs until after they x-ray your stomach to make sure you have no leaks. They will probably give you those little sponge swabs to moisten your mouth until you are allowed to drink again. But really, in my case anyway, I was simply amazed that I had so few issues after surgery - minimal pain, more like aches - and only a few restrictions on my activity level. The two most important things to do after surgery is to drink as much Water as you can tolerate (take small sips often) and to drink as much of the Protein Drink you choose as you can. Staying hydrated will make a huge difference in how you feel. Good luck!

My doctor didn't put me on a pre-op diet. I thought that was a little strange so I think I'll put myself on one in a few days just to make it easier on myself.