Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nausea, sweating, and bears...oh my!

Hi. I'm now almost 2 weeks out of Gastric Bypass surgery and I'm on a pureed diet now. Passed my Barium Swallow and had the drain pulled! Glad that's another step behind me. I have some questions...

1. I have HORRIBLE nausea often. I will think about food and get nauseous, walk by the kitchen and get nauseous, open the fridge and get nauseous...sometimes it comes with no trigger. Is this my body still healing? Someone PLEASE tell me it won't be like this forever. Anyone experience this? When did it go away?

2. Sometimes, lately when I eat (mashed potatoes, yogurt, etc.) I sweat right after. Is that just my body adjusting? Anyone experience this?

3. I'm not sure if I'm eating enough of the above in #2 because I'm SO afraid of overeating. I already threw up after a Calcium supplement caused dumping syndrome and the Barium contrast...that's twice. Ugh. So...seriously, will I know when I'm full. I don't ever feel hungry so I always feel like I'm force-feeding myself!

Help!

Megan

Hi. I'm now almost 2 weeks out of Gastric Bypass surgery and I'm on a pureed diet now. Passed my Barium Swallow and had the drain pulled! Glad that's another step behind me. I have some questions...

1. I have HORRIBLE nausea often. I will think about food and get nauseous, walk by the kitchen and get nauseous, open the fridge and get nauseous...sometimes it comes with no trigger. Is this my body still healing? Someone PLEASE tell me it won't be like this forever. Anyone experience this? When did it go away?

2. Sometimes, lately when I eat (mashed potatoes, yogurt, etc.) I sweat right after. Is that just my body adjusting? Anyone experience this?

3. I'm not sure if I'm eating enough of the above in #2 because I'm SO afraid of overeating. I already threw up after a Calcium supplement caused dumping syndrome and the Barium contrast...that's twice. Ugh. So...seriously, will I know when I'm full. I don't ever feel hungry so I always feel like I'm force-feeding myself!

Help!

Megan

Megan

I'm not telling you what is right or wrong..but what I experienced at your stage. Please ask the advice of your Dr. Or Nut to be sure everything is ok.

1.) The nausea will go away eventually. I couldn't be any where near the smell of food the first couple of weeks. If you keep feline nauseated I would call your surgeons office. My Dr. Gave me suppositories to help.

2.) Your body may not be tolerating certain foods. So I would try changing it up and try those foods again later. I still to this day can not tolerate any yogurt.

3.) Telling when your full is tricky at this stage. For me it was a heavy feeling. I was never "hungry feeling" but I ate my three meals a day and had my Protein shakes in between. You may only be able to tolerate 2-3 bites at each meal.

Most of all it does get better!

Best wishes

Deanna

My experience is that it does get better. I wouldn't worry so much about mashed potatoes, focus on trying to get in your Protein. It's hard at first so focus on high Protein options as much as possible. Even if that means the Protein shakes. I lived a lot of yogurt and cottage cheese. In fact, I ate a lot of the plain, nonfat greek yogurt and would put in some sugar free Jello to add some flavor.

You're still in the early stages and it gets so much better. Best of luck and give your body time to heal. If you think of the outside scars and how they are still healing, that is what the inside is going through as well.

Also, I have to ask--what is the "drain" that some people talk about? I don't recall having a drain of any sort unless it was something in the hospital that I wasn't aware of.

I do the nausea sweating thing with any kind of Protein drink. The carbs in mashed potatoes can cause dumping. I would avoid. Try non fat refried Beans with cheese melted on top. For a nacho like taste add some salsa and a spoonful of plain greek yogurt to that.

Pea Soup is good too at that stage.

It should pass or you have to try other foods but talk to your DR to rule out a stritcher.

Ok...mashed potatoes is just a supplement food to my Protein. It's not all I eat but I can only do so much yogurt! Lol. Refried Beans today for sure!