Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Restaurant, eating thoughts?

So my husband and I both got banded together this month and I am sitting here snickering to myself thinking about going out to a restaurant in the future.

In my head I can see us both sitting there:

No Water, no appetizer, no dessert just sharing one glorious dinner, and I sure hope I can find a coupon to top it off, lol.

There wont be a restaurant we can not afford!

its such a good feeling! just not getting drinks (i get Water to avoid completely confusing the waiter) saves some money! kids hibatchi is WAY cheaper than adult plates!

I always get Water. Eating out is a rare occurrence for us and getting stuck in a restaurant is the worst place of all. A few sips of Water here or there isn't going to ruin your surgery but getting stuck sure can ruin your dining experience. I just don't take the chance and I don't want to jeopardize a great meal. So therefore a few well placed sips of water or wine is acceptable to me.

You can always take home the leftovers and split them up into a few meals. I'm a sucker for stir fry lobster and if I ever get brave enough to eat out I will be taking the rest of it home to last me a week. Lol.

My best sister-friend and I just went out to Outback last night. I got chicken and commented on the fact that it would end up being 3 meals for me :) I stole some of her salad and a few bites of her dessert. I also stole my first bite of steak since my surgery in September. I've been a little scared of it. It was DEEEEVINE!!!! I will be ordering it in the future :)

I'm a pretty cheap date these days, except if I order the tenderloin, lol! My family likes eating out with me because they get all the extras. I'm still working on getting my husband not to order an appetizer because he's going to be having half of my meal as it is.

Wishing, wishing, wishing!!! I could eat steak...but not even tenderloin likes me...so it is a lost food choice!!! We had a Luau at our hospital cafeteria today, tried the bbq chicken...nope...it was moist...but I can't take my time at work to eat correctly-time limit...so a waste of money. So will try something else tonight...what I managed will have to do!!! But so glad that others can do so well out!!! Someday I will be able to do the same!!!

Went out to dinner on Saturday with my sister and my friend. This friend has big big eyes...and orders enough for ten. Sis has seen her in action before and I've told her to just let friend order what she wants, and I'll pay the extra because I know how she is. So..like I said, we were out on Saturday and friend starts to order like mad. Sis puts her foot down,and says, 'enough...Liz doesn't hardly eat anything so no more food!' There's something really nice about hearing that. It means that sis has gotten used to how little I eat and it's now become our 'new normal'.

Because my wife and I both work with long hrs, we eat out frequently....

I always start with a pre-dinner alcohol drink....

Now it gets tricky...I have ordered Soup and salad, and/or an appetizer before my entree, but then find myself not being able to finish that, and cannot touch my entree at all....so I'm careful with the pre-meal treats. I will let my wife order something and I will pick at it....

Entree, something high Protein....since I don't eat meat, it is usually fish. I will stay with fish first, before moving onto the side, because if I start with the sides I may not be able to get to the important stuff....I have learned the hard way.

Many times when I go out with co-workers, etc, after a few drinks and time to order, I will order 2 items off the appetizer selections, and that's it....

Again, maybe a salad and shrimp for instance.

I am always finished long before everyone else, so when it's ready for dessert I am able to order also....but again, cannot finish it.

There are certain foods I will never eat again, due mainly to the band...like Red meat for instance.

And since I eat so little nowadays, no matter what I pick off the menu, I try to make the best choices...and when I'm finished, I'm finished....that simple!

So restaurant, parties, cook outs, it's all the same for me with the band. It does not change.

Edited by B-52

I have to tell you that both my husband and I were banded in the same month and we go out to eat all the time. I don't pick at my meals like a bird, I eat. We order each what we like and if we have extra we take them home and have another meal. I usually take it to work the next day for lunch.

It would be great if ordered something to "share" and we are very compatible about what we like to eat but I often find that when we are out I want something and he wants something else, and it works out well for the most part.

I eat steak often but I always get the most tender cut like Filet Mignon. I cut it up small and chew well and I love it every now and then.

I was having to take home a good part of the appetizer.

And I found early on a CUP of Soup was just as tasty as a bowl, which usually was too much....in the early days.

9+ years postOp I still don't order a full dinner unless intending to pack some home.

cheers on your journey!

Me and my husband were banded two weeks apart. We go out every now and then and he can eat red meat down no problem. I cannot tolerate red meat. Myself I usually go with seafood. I love a nice glass if wine.

Edited by Crystalapril11