Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To be filled, or not to be filled...

Good morning my fellow banders!!!

It has been a little over 3 months since my surgery and I am down 35lbs. I go for another follow up visit on July 10th and I am trying to decide if I want to get another fill, I have 3.5cc in my band now as it is... I'm restricted but I don't find it drastic. I have been "stuck" a few times and I totally know what I did wrong. Not many things bother me and I think this could be a good/bad thing. How did you know you needed another fill? I can drink any amount of Fluid and I am most definitely eating a whole lot less then I was before but I feel like maybe I should add just a little bit more to my band so I can loose some more weight and maybe even faster? It's so hard not to compare WLS stories especially when all I want is to be successful!

This is an example of what I can eat.. I didn't have Breakfast yesterday because I was super busy at work, but for lunch I had a turkey sandwhich (4oz) on whole wheat bread with American cheese (2oz) with some mayo, lettuce and Tomato and a .99 bag of kettle cooked chips (took me 2 hours to eat) and then I had 4oz grilled chicken over a Cesar salad with some crutons and parm cheese.. And 3 cocktails after my softball game ???? (stoli blueberry with sugar free lemonade!)

If you lost 35 lbs in 3 months, and are satisfied with tour meals. You sound like you are, I would pass on the fill for now. In fact, my surgeon wouldn't even offer one. Best wishes, you are doing fine.

Does lettuce not bother you? I don't handle any stringy greens well. I wish I did though. While I think your weight loss is great, I would ask your doctor to see what they would recommend. I understand you wanting a fill, but I've been filled too tight before & it is miserable, so if you're comfortable & losing weight, I probably wouldn't push it.

The test for fills is, how long are you satiated after a meal? If the answer is 4+ hours you're in the green zone/sweet spot and a fill is not necessary.

35 lbs is a lot of weight to lose in just months. But it does sound like you can eat too much and I think most nutritionists would question your lunch menu and taking 2 hours to eat is not what most docs want? 30 minutes per meal is the standard. Looks like your lunch calorie count is going to be up around 500+?

If you're losing most of your weight because you're dieting, you may need a fill. We don't need to diet if our band is adjusted properly.

The test for fills is, how long are you satiated after a meal? If the answer is 4+ hours you're in the green zone/sweet spot and a fill is not necessary.

35 lbs is a lot of weight to lose in just months. But it does sound like you can eat too much and I think most nutritionists would question your lunch menu and taking 2 hours to eat is not what most docs want? 30 minutes per meal is the standard. Looks like your lunch calorie count is going to be up around 500+?

If you're losing most of your weight because you're dieting, you may need a fill. We don't need to diet if our band is adjusted properly.

I completely agree here. I wasn't quite sure what I was trying to say. But this was it. Your weight loss is fantastic, but the amount of food you're consuming is probably more than you should be. Like I recommended, just talk with your doctor & figure out your game plan. :)

Congratulations on your success! My surgeon was looking for being satisfied with a tennis-ball sized portion of food for 4-5 hours. I had the portion part but was hungry again after a couple of hours -- that's how we knew if I needed a fill. Eating over a longer period of time than 20-30 minutes is grazing, something I have to be very careful of as that is my tendency. I sometimes "clock" my meals -- I make a note of the time and count off four or five hours on my fingers to tell me what time I should be eating next. I think this helps reinforce my old behaviors of going back for more too soon, just out of habit. Good luck to you -- you are doing beautifully!

So I will share this phrase that my nutritionist uses all the time. If a meal takes you more then 20 minutes to eat you are eating your next meal!

So if that sandwich and chips took you 2 hours to eat..you have eaten Breakfast lunch dinner and a snack.< /p>

Next time kick the bread to the curb along with the mayo and those chips! Eat the turkey and if that takes you 20 minutes your good. All that other stuff is fat and carbs (sugar) that you don't really need if you are trying to lose weight.

If you find your hungry after the turkey, say an hour later then you need a bit of a fill. If not then your good to go. A meal should hold you for 3-4 hours before you need to eat again, it should only take you 20 minutes to finish eating and it should always have a good source of Protein first, vegetables second and carbs last if you can fit them in after.

I am soooooooooooooooooooo very confused now!!! My nutritionist and educator both says that if I can manage bread it is okay and they want me to eat 1200 calories a day!!! Therefore...I am eating way too much...but most of the time bread is not my friend...so I try to stay away...but I attempt to eat at or at least close to that a day!!! So what do I do?

bread is OK in small amounts. Just don't make a habit of eating it every day. There's very little nutrition in bread and has a high glycemic value so it breaks down to sugar quite rapidly. It also takes up too large a bite of your daily 1200 cals. Better off eating Protein and veggies. But don't give it up, just try to keep it in check. I still love a good sandwich occasionally.

Thanks for all the input guys! I am thinking to go for another little fill...

Today I had a Greek yogurt for breakfast, a small salad with a scoop of tuna fish, 2 cups salt free popcorn (I love popcorn), a Protein smoothie after the gym and then I had a salad for dinner with some grilled chicken, some nuts and raisins and a low fat vinegarette... Calories total for the day: 1,468. My goal on "myfitnesspal" is 1700... How many calories do you all try to take in a day?

How did you know you needed another fill?

For me, I know I needed another fill if I was eating too much at once, or was eating too often. I'm not referring to eating because of boredom, but actually feeling hungry before next meal time. My band solves BOTH of those problems when correctly adjusted for me.

How many calories do you all try to take in a day?

My surgeon nor nutritionist have ever given me any calorie "goal"....except eat less to lose more. He did tell me at least 80 grams of Protein per day (after initial post op diet phases) and lots of Water. And it works well that way for me....less net calories = more fat lost. Depending on your exercise routine/calories burned, and BMR, your calories needed to lose weight could vary a good amount. I've read people saying they need only 600 all the way up to 3-4000....depending on activity level.

Thanks for all the input guys! I am thinking to go for another little fill... Today I had a Greek yogurt for Breakfast, a small salad with a scoop of tuna fish, 2 cups salt free popcorn (I love popcorn), a Protein smoothie after the gym and then I had a salad for dinner with some grilled chicken, some nuts and raisins and a low fat vinegarette... Calories total for the day: 1,468. My goal on "myfitnesspal" is 1700... How many calories do you all try to take in a day?

My calories are 800-1000

Once your band is adjusted you should be shooting for 1000-1200. Doubtful you will lose much on 1468 and definitely not at 1700.