Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about hormones....

Hi all--

I was just wondering, since i had read that some of you experience varying degrees of restriction during your periods....is it just coincidental that I switched from Premarin (a pill that I couldn't take crushed--soooo terrible tasting) --which I was hardly taking --to Climara patch and now I am having trouble with stuff getting stuck? My imagination? I haven't had a fill yet.

i would ask your dr or the pharmacist if this med can cause swelling. thats where i think you would be getting increased restriction from.

michelle

Shellyj ~~~

I am Debra and had my lapband surgery 9/19/03. I have lost 104 lbs. and have done great. I am at 2.7 of a 4.0 band and am experiencing reflux quite often. I have taken Prilosec and received good results sometimes. Other times, it doesn't work. I sleep on three pillows. I don't want to have any of my fill removed due to the fact that I am about 25 lbs. from my goal and then I plan to have a Tummy Tuck (YIPPEEE!!!).

Since you are at 3.7 I was wondering if you have reflux. I had never experienced it prior to my lapband surgery and did not for probably 8 months and then WOW. I don't like reflux. Got any thoughts.

Kimber-lilly, I agree w/ Shelly. Please check w/ your dr. and/or pharmacist. Have you tried looking up info. on the internet?

Debra, you've lost 103 lbs.! Please don't risk losing your band by having too tight a fill. Reflux is NOT a good thing. sleeping on 3 pillows is only bending your stomach and not helping. Elevate the head of your bed on blocks. Don't eat 2 to 3 hours before lying down. Congratulations on being a "Loser"!

which I was hardly taking

How long have you been on the patch? IMHO I would give it a month to 6 weeks - enough time for your hormones to level off and then see what happens. Heck, if your having restriction with NO fill, thats a good thing!

Everytime Ive ever had a "band" problem or question Ive had to seek help from HERE - or just figure it out on my own. So dont get discouraged if your doc OR pharm. doesnt know what to tell you. Remember, we have an implant... We are special!!! :rolleyes:

New Hope ~~~

Don't worry. I don't intend to lose my band. They will have to pry it from my cold, dead hands. I am aware that reflux is not something to play with. I am just experimenting and trying to educate myself on methods of dealing with it. I don't eat for a minimum of two hours before I go to bed. Sometimes 4 or 5. Spicy foods seem to be the worst. It also fluctuates in severity. As I said, I never experienced reflux or even indigestion prior to surgery. It is my understanding that if you have it, the band usually cures it and if you don't have sometimes you get it after the band. Whatever! I have it.

Thanks for the information.

It also comes on suddenly with the band, from a too tight fill. Even worse, you may not be aware of reflux during the night which could cause aspiration pneumonia. I realize you want to get to goal, but I would think a .01cc taken out probably won't lose alot of restriction, but may save your esophagus and help you not to get pneumonia or slip your band. This close to goal it would be a pity to have to be rebanded (which I have been due to this very thing) and a possibility that you wouldn't even qualify at this point.

Of course, you are the master of your own destiny, but severe reflux with the band in any situation is a warning sign.

I wish you the best! Great job with your loss! Congrats!

Leatha and New Hope are absolutely right, you could end up with severe erosion, which could create a whole new host of additional and serious issues, let alone easily cost you the band. Do consider at least an ever so slight unfill, like Leatha said, 0.1 cc might even be enough, I'd rather take a touch longer to lose the last of the weight, than risk gaining it all back plus some if I lost my band. Reflux is not our friend... Try a call to your doc, and see what he/she advises. One way or another you do need a remedy.

Thanks for the concern. I will probably go for a minor unfill. However, something curious has happened. I have been taking birth control pills for about three months because my estrogen level is so low and that is the period of time I have been refluxing on a regular basis. I ran out of the pills because the manufacturer is not making them. They were causing me to swell (feet and legs) and I thought I would go without them for a few weeks and see what happened. That was three days ago. I have not refluxed since then. I assume if I was swelling on the outside perhaps my stomach was swelling as well. Maybe???? Anyway, I am just grateful not to be refluxing. If it returns, I will do the unfill. Thanks for the input.

I think it makes a ton of sense that if your legs and feet were swelling that your stomach was swollen too. Maybe there is something else they can give you next time that wont make you well so much? But if you do swell, do consider that unfill.

:)