Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very Nervous...Help!

Guys,

My procedure is 06 October an I am getting very scared. Can anyone tell me EXACTLY what to expect? Can u share your experience with the actual procedure? I can research all day, but I want to hear it from the horse's mouth. Thank you sooo much in advance for any words of wisdom.

Sue3

Sue - I can't be of much help to you as my surgery will be on the 18th, but I want to wish lots of luck. Please post your experience when you are able to. You will be fine.

Betty

I will keep you posted. I hope someone replies for me. I'm really scared and need info. I'm sure you can identify.

I just had my surgery two weeks ago, so it's very fresh in my mind.

I went to Mexico for my surgery, so it might be a bit different for you.

I flew to San Diego and drove to Tijuana on the 14th. I was scheduled for some simple blood tests and other routine pre-op tests. That day was more boring that anything. I did take the advice of others I have heard and stuck to a liquid diet that day. The idea is that those who stick to a liquid diet have less gas pain post-op.

The next day, I walked to the surgery clinic (it was a block from my hotel). The nurse greeted me and had me put on some compression stockings and gave me a pill to relax me - I was pretty relaxed anyway, but it is part of the anesthesia routine. She also started an IV.

I hung around and waitied for the anesthesiologist. She came in and met me. She told me it is routine to put something in your IV to make certain you are not naseous when you wake up. They wheeled me into the OR, put something that stung into my IV (not that bad) and put a mask on my face - good night.

I woke up and the worst part was that my mouth was soooo dry. Getting out of bed was tough, but doable. I was up and walking around that night. Didn't even need any pain meds in my IV. I was discharged the next day after doing a barium swallow.

I traveled home by plane the next day. Because of a mix up in scheduling, I ended up waiting in the airport for 5 hours. That was a VERY long day. I shouldn't have been carrying a back pack with Water, novel, hand lotion, etc. It was too heavy.

The worst part of my post-op experience was a coughing fit I had two days post op. It hurt so bad it made me cry. Any time I sneezed in the first week and a half also hurt like he**. The liquid diet wasn't too much fun, either - but it was certainly do-able.

Like I said, I'm 2 weeks post-op now. Sneezing still hurts, but that's it. I just went to the gym today and rode the bicke for 45 minutes.

I hope this helps give you an idea of what to expect. If you've had kids - this is waaaay easier! :)

Hi Sue,

Once you start getting more feedback, I think you will find that everyone's experience is somewhat different.

I am on my second LapBand (first one had a leak) and my two operations were completely different.

First one - 2/3/04:

1. Major pain - walking and lying down flat was uncomfortable. I slept sitting up in bed for at least 2 weeks.

2. Coughing and sneezing caused extreme pain. I thought my insides were exploding. Had to lie over 3 pillows on the bed to cough (which is a requirement after surgery so you don't develop pnemonia) If I could catch the sneeze and get to the pillows before it happened, things were so much better.

3. I used a beach towel folded across my stomach while sleeping and riding in the car for 3-4 weeks. In the car I felt like my insides were jiggling around and it was very uncomfortable.

4. When I started exercising again, my strength was gone. I was only able to handle 10-15 lbs weights, when normally I am much stronger.

5. Bending over was impossible for at least 2 weeks.

Second one - 8/13/04:

1. Minor pain. Up and walking no problem. Bending was uncomfortable but not impossible.

2. Coughing and sneezing painful, but pillows made it possible.

3. Use folded towel for about 1 week.

4. Strength never really diminished. I was asked not to lift weights for the first 6 weeks, but once I went back to the gym I was only lifting weights about 5-10 lbs lighter than before the second surgery.

I have talked to my doctor about the differences and the only thing we can come up with is that immediately after surgery and during my hospital stay (overnight) during the first surgery I barely used the morphine pump. During the second surgery I hit the pump all the time. I know I wasn't getting meds each time, but I know I got more pain relief then with the first surgery. I have been told that the better your pain is managed, the better you recover. My advise, use the pain relief you are provided and don't try to brave it out. If you have pain -- get it managed.

Good luck and I hope this helps ease your mind a bit. I am sure you will do fine.

Take Care,

Thank you. You both have been very helpful.

I am nervous, but when I got home from work, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. Seeing myself instantly motivated me for the procedure.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Sue

Sue: My experience is as follows:

I had surgery on April 6, 2004 at Rosarito, Mexico. The facility I went to is called Sanoviv Medical Institute.

The facility is a health conscious resort spa atmosphere that also treats end stage disease patients. It also does extensive testing to see just how healthy you really are. There is a detoxification prior to any procedure if you elect to go that route. I did.

I was there for a week but only because I elected to stay that long. I could have had the surgery and then left the next day to go home.

Lots of blood work, ultrasound of the abdomen to give the surgeon a few of my insides in case of something out of the ordinary or to catch something that would prevent the surgery from happening, urinalysis, stool samples, EKG, Spirometry (lung capacity testing), etc.

Day of surgery I was excited and ready to go. I was supposed to have it done at 1p but there was a delay and it was then started at 3p. No big deal just wanted it done.

Surgery was a breeze. No complications and I was only on the table for about an hour. I was woke up in the OR and transferred to the bed and then wheeled to the recovery bed. I was in some pain but shots took care of that real quick. I rested that whole night in bed. I think that is what made the next day so rough for me. Someone should have gotten me up that night and let me set up. But no one did and I was too out of it to worry about it. I slept off and on that night. I was in minor pain that was quickly relieved with pain meds. I was not on a pump but had shots for the pain.

By the way everyone spoke and understood English.

The next day I was very sore but not IN PAIN. You know what I mean? I just took it easy and walked with a pillow bracing my abdomen. I still took some pain meds that day and into that night. The next day was much better and I even was able to shower while seated in a chair and washed my hair. That made me feel loads better. By the 4th day I was walking upright without a pillow. This facility has salt Water pools for therapy. I was able to put on a bathing suit and dip in the pools for about 30 min. IT was heaven.

It gets progressively better as the days pass. My advice is to get a pillow for your abdomen, start your deep breathing as soon as you are lucid, walk as soon as you are clear headed, shower with a chair the first time, talk small baby steps walking, sit up in a chair as much as you can stand, get Protein in you as soon as they will allow it, and of course follow all your surgeons instructions.

COngrats on your new life soon to start.

Hi Sue,

I was a nervous wreck too but it all went pretty smoothly. I flew to San Diego on a friday morning, was picked up by a crazy taxi driver, taken to a business office where I had x-rays, cardiogram, blood test, saw nutricianist, etc and then taken to hotel. Had a last dinner with my brother. I was picked up the next morning (they never run on time) and taken to the hospital (Oasis of Hope) which was clean and comfy. Not resort-like like Penni's but pretty comfortable all the same. I was supposed to have surgery that saturday morning but an emergency (not band related) forced my surgery to be postponed several hours. I was starving and nervous. The nurses weren't able to let me know what was causing the delay but I was definitely in a good panic when they came and got me in the middle of the afternoon. I was rolled into the operating room, given an anti-anxiety thing and don't remember anything afterwards. Woke up later sore and odd feeling but was able to get up and go potty without any assistance. I was definitely ready to leave the next day but there was a policy about keeping us two nights. I toured the hallways visiting another band patient and fiddling with their patient computers. I flew home the next day which was a LONG day but it all went fine. I went grocery shopping the day after I got home fine. I took one week off of work and was able to go back fine. Bending over was tough and the liquid phase is tough but well worth it. Best wishes to you and I'm confident you'll do fine. Teresa:)

I wanted to wish you well on your upcoming surgery. Please don't fret too much, it won't do any good. I know you will be pleasantly surprised at how well you'll do. This is minimally invasive surgery. Who is your surgeon?

Wednesday is fast approaching. I want this; I need this. I will let you know how it goes. Thank you for your support. I really appreciate it.

Sue

I know you are nervous, please try to relax a little. Going through any surgery is not easy, if it makes you feel better, just keep posting. Our thoughts will be with you the whole time. Please post and let us know you are o.k. when you can.

Sue,

As you know by now everyone is different. I was banded on 08/10/04 and the only pain I had was from the co2 gas as it diapates in your system. But I knew I'd have this going in and was prepared and just keep thinking this will be gone shortly. Was banded on a Tuesday and I went back to work ful time on Friday. I had not actaul surgical pain and my incisions have healed well and I'm doing fine. Even had a fill and that was painless.

Can't promise you you'll have same results but keep in mind I am the worlds bigges baby. I normally pass out at blood test. Of course now that you can see my veins in the arm maybe that won't be so bad LOL.

I'd tell you if it hurt and I can only say it doesn't. I didn't know this going in and wish I had known about this site before. But I still wnet ahead knowing it could be painfull and all because it was the only way I was going to see my grandkids.

Good luck and will think about you on Wednesday

Greg