Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do I have to wait a full 60 seconds for soft foods?

Do I need to wait a full 60 seconds between bites for things like yogurt and mashed potatoes?

You can do whatever you like. But once your band is adjusted properly even mashed spuds can accumulate and back up into your esophagus causing a short stuck episode if you wolf your food down?

I usually don't eat mashed potatoes as they're a slider food that is mostly carbs but If I do eat something soft I just pay attention to the soft stop signals and it's rarely a problem. Refried Beans is a good example. High Fiber, low glycemic index food.

As I understand it, the slowing down is important no matter what kind of food it is. The reason is that every squeeze of your esophagus is sending satiety signals to your brain. You can't feel a soft stop signal of satiety if you rush the food. The signals need that time to register.

Will you get stuck if you eat soft foods faster? Probably not. But you're not letting your band do what it's meant to do. Slowing down between bites/swallows is the absolute hardest thing for many of us to learn. When I do it (I am not always successful) I feel satisfied so much sooner. When I eat quickly (even soup) I blow right past my brain's signals and I end up eating too much before I have felt like I have had just enough.

Slow it down and practice that new habit as often as you can.

I hope this helps. I'm learning this too, and it's starting to really work for me.

I think it is always better to follow the rules,they keep you out of trouble.As for keeping the gap of 60 seconds between two gulps is so that you do not eat fast as that will add to your troubles.There are chances of food getting stuck and this will give rise to heart burns and you will start to feel nauseated.

The rules are set in place for an individual to learn no matter what foods they eat or how their band is adjusted....They started me following rules long before I was banded , which at the time made no sense....

When I questioned them about this, it was explained to me that I had spent an entire lifetime of eating improperly, and that after WLS, sooner or later if I am going to be successful, I am going to have to start eating differently or the band will not do a thing for me....

So it was important for me to start adapting a new way of doing things, things I am going to have to learn in 6 months, to undo what I had been doing for my whole life....

It's not a question as to whether you have to or not, it is a question that that is the way you approach everything you eat from here on in.....

After you have been banded for a few years, and you and your band know each other very well, then you can start bending the rules here and there....knowing you are not interfering with the bands function.

An example for me is drinking with meals....I was told, before I was even banded, I could not do it...20 minutes before, 45 minutes after....very silly rule, of course I could drink with meals....did not do a thing if I did....but it was a rule they wanted me to me part of my lifestyle....

Because now, having everything set properly for me, I CANNOT drink with meals....so I can now understand why they wanted me to get used to the fact early on......