Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I keep reading about people with bands that hold up to 14cc and some that are primed during the surgery..The band I was shown at my class didn't look like it could hold more than 6 comfortably..Which is normal?

They may have been showing you an older model band in Class. First generation of the band only held 4cc. Here is a pretty good chart that show the differences between the Allergan and Realize band. Allergan seems to be the most popular but there are plenty like me on here with the 11cc Realize.

http://www.wlshelp.com/lap-band-vs-realize-band.html

Thank you Jim. Going to call my Dr to find out which kind I'm getting. The lady teaching the class said they wouldn't put anything in it for 6 weeks. My surgery is Thurs..worrying about feeling hungry if its just the band.

If your surgeon is putting in an Allergan band he will have both sizes available. He/she wont make a decision as to the size until he/she sees your stomach. The shape and lining thickness of the upper part of your stomach will help determine the size.

Thank you..

If your surgeon is putting in an Allergan band he will have both sizes available. He/she wont make a decision as to the size until he/she sees your stomach. The shape and lining thickness of the upper part of your stomach will help determine the size.

This.

I asked my surgeon about the size band he would place and he told me point blank he wouldn't know until he got in there. I have a 10 cc. AP (Advance Platform) Allergan Lap Band. It was primed with 5 cc of Fluid by my surgeon during my surgery. Between that prime and my hernia repair, I was Green Zone for a full two months, after my procedure and have only had/needed one tiny 1/2 cc adjustment, since. :)

As soon as you wake up, ask what size band you received and the Fluid in it. Write it down, you need that information, going forward. :)

Edited by The Icy One

Thank you I will. At the class they said it wouldn't be primed but she also showed a small band.

Thank you I will. At the class they said it wouldn't be primed but she also showed a small band.

Different surgeons have a different process. Your surgeon may not prime bands with Fluid. All surgeons will put Fluid in the band during surgery to check for leaks and to be sure that the band is functioning properly. Some surgeons then drain the band, completely, others leave a little or a lot of fluid behind. It just depends on the individual surgeon and, I believe the feel the surgeon has for the individual patient. My surgeon left a LOT of fluid in my band. He must have had a feeling about me, a reason for doing so. And his decision seems to have been the right one because it has been working for me. :)

Just trust your surgeon and the process. He or she will do what they feel is right and right for you. :)

Thank you. I will do my best. So confusing when it's different for everyone.I'm afraid I'll be so hungry! 3 weeks of liquids before I go to mushies!

Thank you. I will do my best. So confusing when it's different for everyone.I'm afraid I'll be so hungry! 3 weeks of liquids before I go to mushies!

Three weeks?!?! Seriously? SMH I had to do forty-eight hours of Clear Liquids, then days three through eight full liquids. Then I was on mushies until my first aftercare appointment at the one month mark. I almost went insane by the time that month was up. :lol: The progression, whatever one your doc puts you on is important to healing but it is hard. in the process! :lol: If you have to have a hernia repair, the swelling from that will help. Mine kept me in my Green Zone for nearly two full months. I didn't have my first adjustment until eight weeks out.

Yes I do have a hernia to repair. My drs post op diet is the strictest I've heard of. I hope it helps to keep the hunger pains away!

@@The Icy One Wow, sounds like we have the same surgeon... Mine primed my band with 5cc's in surgery. And had the same post op diet...I feel like I'm in the green right out of the gate with this thing. I wonder why surgeons are so different? All you can do is make a list of questions you want answered by your surgeon about the process he uses and why.

There are docs who insist on 30 days of liquids and one who required 6 weeks.

@@The Icy One Wow, sounds like we have the same surgeon... Mine primed my band with 5cc's in surgery. And had the same post op diet...I feel like I'm in the green right out of the gate with this thing. I wonder why surgeons are so different? All you can do is make a list of questions you want answered by your surgeon about the process he uses and why.

While not the same surgeon, maybe two who studied Lap Band surgery in the same school? :lol: