Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Grits.. to be or not to be?

food question! Actually, I have another one I didn't want to post yet, but I will now.

First..

I'm southern and I LOOOOOVE grits. To me, they're a great solution. They can be liquidy and go down easy right? But I've seen people mention not being able to eat grits anymore?

I had bought a couple boxes pre-op to have during mushies.. and now I'm wondering if I can have it? I hear mixed things, so if people who like grits and tend to eat them on a regular basis (or can't now?) let me know if grits are an iffy item to eat or not!

Second..

Crab? My book from IName says common items people have problems on is shrimp. What about crab? I looked through and saw some comments on crab, but nothing definitive. I hate fish, shrimp I could take or leave, but I love crab. And I don't like chicken, but I love beef. Don't like pork.. basically, been trying to see what 'meats' I'll eventually be able to enjoy without much PB risk. I ruled out most steaks, chicken (good riddens), and shrimp. Fish sounds like it's ok, but I don't like fish. I would love to be able to eat crab again. So in experienced bandsters experience.. yay or nay on crab?

Unfortunately, people who have been banded can eat only chicken. But don't worry, there are a lot of good recipes. There's chicken Cacciatore, Lemon Chicken, Chicken Parmesan, Teriyaki Chicken, Chicken salad, Fried Chicken, Mushroom Chicken, etc. Heck, you can even have Chicken Grits.

Just kidding. The way it seems to work with the band is, it's different for everyone. And it can even be different for the same person at different times of day, and different amounts of fill, etc. For the most part, there are no foods that you cannot eat with the band.

On the other hand, for weight loss purposes, the band works best if you eat solid Protein items first, like meats that you like (crab should be fine if it goes down OK, you just have to try), and then vegies next and then carbs, etc. That way you are full the longest on the least food, while still getting your Protein. People say this is the way to make the band work best for you.

So, it's a process of trial and error, adjustment, etc. If you find that you are losing weight OK, you can probably eat more variety and perhaps even "cheat" a little bit. If you find that you are not losing well, you probably need to focus in more on the traditional band diet (protein first, vegies, etc).

Regarding grits, some people say that you need to be careful at first with things like grits and oatmeal, since they can expand inside once you eat them. So go slow with those. You've only just been banded. And talk to your doctor about this.

And don't forget, if all else fails, you can always just eat a lot of chicken. There's Chicken Marsala, Chicken Piccata, Chicken Alfredo, Sweet and Sour Chicken, Chicken Stew, Chicken Soup, Chicken Ceasar, Chicken Wrap, Stuffed Chicken, Roasted Chicken, Chicken Fricasee, Poached Chicken, Chicken a la King, Bar B Q Chicken .....

Unfortunately, people who have been banded can eat only chicken.< /div>
I don't know this from personal experience since I won't be banded until May, but I'm sure I've read on here where other people eat lots of things besides chicken! I distinctly remember someone saying they eat steak. I did an advanced search w/ crab in the title and here's what I got. As for the grits, I'm Southern too (and by the grace of God thank you!!!) and I'm sure gonna try me some grits! I'm thinking if they're watery enough to begin w/ I'll be ok. Sure hope I don't pb!

Crab.. I think he was trying to poke at me for saying I didn't like chicken :rolleyes:

I saw Jack mention being able to eat some form of steak, something that didn't ring a bell to me, I guess it's really tender steak. But my idea of steak is what comes from Steak Out, and it's not the softest/leanest steak out there. As stated before, I'm not a cook!

I don't know this from personal experience since I won't be banded until May, but I'm sure I've read on here where other people eat lots of things besides chicken!

No, seriously. You can only eat chicken. But don't worry, because there's a lot of variety. You can eat chicken Enchilladas, Chicken Pot Pie, Chicken Pita, Grilled Chicken, Baked Chicken, Fiesta Chicken, Bronx Firehouse Stuffed Chicken Breasts, Chipotle Marinated Chicken, Mexican Skillet Chicken, Breast of Chicken Rosina, Gold Coast Breast of Chicken, Chicken Kiev, Baked Salsa Ranch Chicken Breasts, Macadamia Chicken, Latin-Scented Chicken Breast, Chicken Pepperoni Breasts, Chicken Breasts with Lemon, Chipotle Chicken, Chicken Chili, Mexican Chicken-Chili Tart, Hannah's Roast Chicken in Adobo Marinade, Chicken Chalupas, Chicken Fajitas, Fiesta Chicken Rolls, Spicy Taco Chicken, Amazon Fried Chicken Breasts, Chicken Kotletki with Sour Cream Sauce, Chicken Avocado Melt, Casablanca Chicken, Smoked Paprika Chicken, Bacon and cheese Stuffed Chicken, Chicken Tamales, Chicken in Cilantro Sauce, Creamy Chicken Enchiladas, Chicken Amandine, Chicken-Chile Cheesecake, Chicken Sour Cream Enchiladas, Cheesy Chicken with Chiles, Chicken Fajita Casserole, Annapolis Valley Chicken, Autumn Chicken Breasts, Chicken in Haides, Bacon-Wrapped Chicken, Shredded Pueblo Chicken, Opryland Stuffed Chicken, Mexican Style Chicken Kiev, Mayan Festival Party Chicken, Crash Site Chicken, Chicken Paola, Camembert Chicken, and Chicken Road Kill, to name a few.

I eat chicken cooked very slow at low heat so to keep moisture, steak or deli roast beef the trick is chew 30 times per tiny bite. turkey roast - cook in crock pot very moist, tuna with tbsp mayo. I cut my meat into pieces the size of half a dice and I use a baby spoon. I also have farina for Breakfast, I've been told its a lot like grits. One thing to remember is everyone is different and something might work one day but not the next. I also keep chewable papaya enzyme tablets on hand just in case and it does help with digestion. best of luck

No, seriously. You can only eat chicken. But don't worry, because there's a lot of variety. You can eat chicken Enchilladas, Chicken Pot Pie, Chicken Pita, Grilled Chicken, Baked Chicken, Fiesta Chicken, Bronx Firehouse Stuffed Chicken Breasts, Chipotle Marinated Chicken, Mexican Skillet Chicken, Breast of Chicken Rosina, Gold Coast Breast of Chicken, Chicken Kiev, Baked Salsa Ranch Chicken Breasts, Macadamia Chicken, Latin-Scented Chicken Breast, Chicken Pepperoni Breasts, Chicken Breasts with Lemon, Chipotle Chicken, Chicken Chili, Mexican Chicken-Chili Tart, Hannah's Roast Chicken in Adobo Marinade, Chicken Chalupas, Chicken Fajitas, Fiesta Chicken Rolls, Spicy Taco Chicken, Amazon Fried Chicken Breasts, Chicken Kotletki with Sour Cream Sauce, Chicken Avocado Melt, Casablanca Chicken, Smoked Paprika Chicken, Bacon and cheese Stuffed Chicken, Chicken Tamales, Chicken in Cilantro Sauce, Creamy Chicken Enchiladas, Chicken Amandine, Chicken-Chile Cheesecake, Chicken Sour Cream Enchiladas, Cheesy Chicken with Chiles, Chicken Fajita Casserole, Annapolis Valley Chicken, Autumn Chicken Breasts, Chicken in Haides, Bacon-Wrapped Chicken, Shredded Pueblo Chicken, Opryland Stuffed Chicken, Mexican Style Chicken Kiev, Mayan Festival Party Chicken, Crash Site Chicken, Chicken Paola, Camembert Chicken, and Chicken Road Kill, to name a few.

Alright Forrest Gump! Me and Bubba will stick to shrimp!!!

Crab.. I think he was trying to poke at me for saying I didn't like chicken :rolleyes:

I saw Jack mention being able to eat some form of steak, something that didn't ring a bell to me, I guess it's really tender steak. But my idea of steak is what comes from Steak Out, and it's not the softest/leanest steak out there. As stated before, I'm not a cook!

Ok, I'm being thick as a post!

I like Steak Out too...but you're right, it can be a bit on the chewy side! Just think, you'll still be eating it by supper time!

Good morning all! I love grits as well I can eat them now.(BANDED 03/06)LoL as for crabs and chicken I have no problem eating crabs or crabmeat from the container.I use to be able to eat chicken now I can only eat chicken in the form of dips(maybe a tbl spoon or two) or in soup.Each day is an adventure with the band,as far as what I can/cannot eat. But being a chicken lover I can tell you this that bird can be cooked soooo so many ways.Good luck on your journey in band land weight loss.

Due to Marjon, I think people missed the point where I said I hate chicken and good riddens to it :)

Grits are.. I think.. a type of wheat chopped up really fine, with Water added to it. It makes like a cream of wheat texture if you know what that is? It's gooey and sticky.. You can Water it down and make it more runny. It's really tasteless, but here in the south we like to put butter, ham, etc. in it. I personally like to mix it with my eggs.

Sounds different lol I don't think we have them over here ( Australia ) unless they are called something different.. Thanks for letting me know though :)