Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

With my extra skin actually starting to bother me, i am thinking about this surgery.. but I dont know anything about it.. can anyone help?

Wondering how it works, does it leave scars, what is recovery time like... are there any other options besides surgery?

With my extra skin actually starting to bother me, i am thinking about this surgery.. but I dont know anything about it.. can anyone help?

Wondering how it works, does it leave scars, what is recovery time like... are there any other options besides surgery?

Hi Vinny. I also am bothered by my saggy skin and want to do something about it. I don't know what else works besides surgery in my case. I'm 55 and have had two children so I don't think exercise will tone me as I need to be. Plus, I have physical limitations in terms of a high impact type of exercise program.

I know enough folks who've had plastic surgery to know that there are scars...I'm just presuming they will fade over time. I also know that recovery time can vary depending on what type of surgery you have.

I plan on getting a recommendation from my bariatric surgeon and will make an appointment with the plastic surgeon and will get answers from him/her. I also will need to get an idea of cost....this is going to be all out of pocket.

Insurance companies usually don't pay unless there is a medical necessity. I have medicare and they will allow for a skin amputation of the front only due to a hernia repair that is needed because of a hernia caused by previous abdominal surgery.there is no Tummy Tuck involve. They just lopp of the skin and make room for the general surgeon to get in to do the repair work. No, bat wings, or anything else unless I want to pay for it.

LeeB1946 is right, insurance companies do not pay for tummy tucks but will pay for a panniculectomy (skin removal only) IF medically necessary. If you have any rashes under the skin fold, see your doctor, take photos; that's your best bet for it being medically necessary. Also make sure your weight loss has been documented by your doctor, as your insurance company might want to see documentation of your weight loss & that your are serious about keeping the weight off; my insurance required this documentation. My insurance paid for the panniculectomy & I paid the difference for the full Tummy Tuck. With a tummy tuck more of the skin is removed (a lot more in my case) and your muscles are repairs (tightened back to normal, as they were stretched with your weight gain too, just as your skin was stretched). I had so much extra skin I immediately went down 2 pant sizes after surgery & after all swelling went down ultimately went down 4 pant sizes after the tummy tuck!!

Scars...yes there are scars. I have a scar from hip to hip...literally!! HOWEVER, placement of the scar is key. Doctors differ on their technique & this is an art, so make sure you research your doctor & see before & after photos from your doctors other patients. I was able to wear a bikini (YES A BIKINI!!!!!) for the first time in 20 years last weekend & my scar was completely covered. My doctor did an AWESOME job placing the scar low with a perfect curve! I will also add this surgery is NO JOKE!! It was the worse surgery recovery I have ever had & I've had my share of surgeries. I was down for a month & SLOWLY got back to normal thereafter. It is painful & takes everything out of you to heal...leaves you with NO ENERGY!! Even knowing how awful the recovery was, I would do it again knowing the results I have! The Lapband changed my life & the my TT changed my life to a place I never dreamed! Without that roll of skin I am able to property exercise, I can wear pants that actually fit me, I can be completely proud of my hard work & weight loss AND did I mention I was in a bikini for the first time since I was a teenager! TOTALLY worth every minute of the recovery. Just do your research on the doctor you choose.

Good luck with your journey!