Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Conversion- give me the daily life....

Okay folks, I need the honest truth here.... I currently have a Band, had it 3 years now.... loved it, lost 65 lbs, hit my goal weight and maintined for 6 months. Then my band slipped and my dad got sick at the same time...very stressful....now a year out from that, my band has slipped even more, I have gained 25-30 lbs. (but my dad is well again) and my doctor wants me to convert to a sleeve. Devestated that the band has failed and feel like a fool that I waisted money on it, lots of new data out that it isnt really all that great, wish I had known that!!

I was self pay with the band, we are not rich people, it was a HUGE sacrafice to come up with the money for the Band, no way I can come up with another 14-16K and still be able to sleep at night. I have a hard working husband, 2 little boys and a future to take care of..... anyway...considering Mexico for a conversion, different topic I know....here is what I want to know.... Give me the good, the bad and the ugly about life with a sleeve!!! I want to know what I am getting myself into. I can promise you, if I had been told that my band was not a life long commitment, I would not have done this.....I was told this was a life long change/tool and now they are saying 50% failure rate...grrr!!! So, give it to me....what are the pro's and con's of sleeves!!

sounds like me with the band too. mine slipped about a year after i had it, i then had another surgery to revise it but the doctor warned me that once a band slips it usually always will slip again. well about a year after that band slipped as well. since i was pretty much as goal too, i had the band removed . here i am 5 1/2 years later and my weight is all back. im considering the sleeve for the past 2 years. im just very nervous especially since i had problems and i was also told i would have a lot of scar tissue which mean im at a higher risk for leaks!!!!! im scared!! any advice or words from anyone???

There is a good you tube video by a bariatric surgeon dr weiner about diet post op to one month post op . I'm only a week out and feel in my heart that I did the right thing, but it is major surgery with strict rules to follow while your sleeve heals .

There is a good you tube video by a bariatric surgeon dr weiner about diet post op to one month post op . I'm only a week out and feel in my heart that I did the right thing, but it is major surgery with strict rules to follow while your sleeve heals .

I saw that video and it was so helpful.

Not having had a band it hards to compare. However, I personally know 2 people whom have switched from a band to a sleeve. Both have said its night and day and highly prefer the sleeve. I personally chose the sleeve over the band after researching both. The sleeve had in my opinion less side effects and didnt require constant adjustments. The biggest negative for the sleeve is that it could not be reversed. Normally, I would not recommend a Mexican sleeve for many reasons incluing no follow on support. But in your case you have already made the mental adjustments to weight loss surgery, plus it is more affordable. Make sure to research your surgeon if you choose that direction. Good Luck.

I was banded 2005 went from 18/20 to 8/10....felt great, looked great, no Hair loss no loose skin!! 2009 i started having allllll the band complications, fills and unfills, change of insurance and was back in 16/18 by the end of 2012....jan 2014 I got the ball rolling on band to sleeve April 9 I had my surgery Wed and released Thursday was taken off work for 3 weeks...so at 9 weeks im 30 pounds lighter and I am 1 size smaller size 14...i was really tired at first but by day 3 i was normal..walked a mile every day for 2 weeks and then 2miles everyday for a week b4 going back to work..my stomach was removed on the right side and port removed on the left...my right side was sore for a few weeks but no pain on left side..im never hungry but I eat on a schedule when im at work not much on my off days....no stuck food, no girgling throat noise, i can eat and drink laying dwn, no throwing up, no acid reflux. I struggle with getting 64 oz of Water in and hope i dnt get dehydrated, my taste buds have changed, i get full quick and i can not eat any fried foods because it cause me to dump like gastric patients....first 3 weeks i had terrible runs and confusion between gas/bm i guess its because you are on liquids. I think im a slow loser compared to virgin sleevers but its still early and im losing. So far no complications and i take a multi vit everyday, acid blocker, Biotin and msm pills....my scars are almost gone i use bio gel i think is the name from Walmart, my only noticeable scar is where the port was and it has lightened but is noticeable

OMG karen, im so excited because i see we are using the same doctor. did you get a surgery date yet?