Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Does Lap Bands

Well, after searching high and low I have finally found out that Kaiser does cover the lap band surgery. :clap2: My PCP referred me to the bariactric surgery center and I am now waiting for my appointments to start. They set you up for all the necessary stuff like physc evaluations, nutritionalists, etc. According to what I was told by the referral coordinator it will take 4 - 6 weeks for me to get into my first appointment and surgery will be approximately 3 - 6 months out. Now most people would be upset about the time table for surgery but considering I was going to have to change my insurance to CalPERS BC PPO and wait to even get started until after Jan. 2008, I'm pretty pleased. My daughter also got her referral from a doctor who was not really happy about giving it even though her BMI is 47 with LOTS of comorbitities. She had to get pretty graphic about what living as a super morbidly obese person was like. So Mom and daughter are on their way. Anyone wanting answers to Kaiser can contact me. I will be happy to share as I go on my journey.

Vicki J, wishing you the best. High five!

I am just so excited because I see all of you that have already gotten your bands doing so well. It sounds stupid but sometimes I almost cry knowing that there is an end to this hell.

Hi Vicki, I too have just received my letter in the mail from Kaiser. I'm new to this site (this is my first post) and I'm hoping all will come through for me! Where are you located? I'll be attending the orientation on May 22nd in South San Francisco. Are we anywhere near each other? Now this may seem like a silly question, but I'm wondering what the psych consultation will be like? I'm wondering if there is anything I could say that would red flag them and tell me no to the procedure? I'm not overly worried about not passing it, LOL, I just suffer from the same low self-esteem issues that most overweight people do, etc. Anyway, I just want everything to go right for me so I can get the ball rolling in the right direction. I think I may post that question in another forum, as well. At any rate, glad to know of someone else starting the Kaiser Lap Band procedure. Good luck to you and maybe we can chat soon? :-) -Kim

I'm just curious what the requiremnts are for Lap-Band through Kaiser. I have Kaiser and was told they only did GB, for which I did not qualify, nor did I want GB. But, at that time, they were also requiring participation in their weight loss program(Optifast + counseling) for a certain number of weeks. Good luck to all of you using them. I wish my surgery would have been covered :) but I'm still glad I had it done.

I'm up near Sacramento. I'd say that your lucky because you're nearer to the facility but that doesn't always mean a shorter time in the commute. LOL. I don't have my appointment yet, I just got the letter saying I had been referred. I hope it doesn't take too long to get the first appointment and get going. How long was your wait? Yeah, I know all about that low self-esteem thing. I have wondered the same thing about the psych evaluation myself. I would think that they want to make sure you're doing it for health reasons and not because you're some kind of weirdo. They probably also want to make sure you know what you're getting into. It's a big lifestyle change. Anyway, it looks like you're going to be headed down the path before me. I would really appreciate it if you would keep me posted on what the procedure is. My daughter is also going for the band. Good luck!

Vicki, does that mean that you'll be coming to SSF for the procedure, too? I got my referral letter about two weeks ago stating that I'd be getting instructions for an orientation in about 12 weeks... but low and behold, I received my instructions on saturday! (So it only took 2 weeks to start receiving information.) I'm scheduled for orientation on May 22, so I'm really hoping that things will start to move after that. The instruction letter that I received Saturday said that I need to go to my Primary Care Physician for an EKG, Chest X-ray, and some lab work (urine sample, blood work, etc.). So that's all I know at the moment. I'll definitely keep you posted though if anything new comes up. Socalgal, I believe that Kaiser has only just started doing Gastric Banding in the last year or so. I researched it a bit and that's what I came to find. I think that I may need to see a nutritionist through Kaiser, as well. It seems that there is quite a process, but that's fine with me. I like to know that I'm being well-cared for! :-)

I also have Kaiser and live in the Sacramento area. I want to get the lap band surgery. Was it very hard to get your doctor to approve it? I guess I am a little shy about asking for it. I am overdue for a check up and need to go in. Since my BMI is around 41-42, I know I should qualify. I have been obese since shildhood. I have lost weight many times on just about every diet ot there, but as soon as I stop, it all comes right back. Any suggestions???

My doctor at Kaiser was REALLY great about it. I had gathered any information I thought I might need to convince him but I didn't need it. My daughter's doctor was hesitant until she sent him a pretty detailed email about what it's like living morbidly obese. He then referred her. I have to say one thing though...you deserve this and shouldn't be shy about asking for it. I mean do you want to live like this for the rest of your life? Not this kid. If they're going to offer it, I'm going to get it. I would suggest going in for your check up and approaching your doctor. The first time I brought it up (another doctor) I was told I wasn't obese enough. Then I did my homework. With a BMI of over 40 you should be referred. I was ready to go from doctor to doctor until I found it. I did find out on the boards that Kaiser usually caved if you didn't have any exclusions in your policy and fit the profile. Some had to appeal but they got it. It's relatively new to Kaiser and they do it in the bay area. Keep in touch and let me know if I can be of any help. NOW GO ASK! :)

Socalgal3 - Sorry you didn't get through at Kaiser but I'm glad that you got your band! 64 LBS! Jeez I can't wait until I can post that! Since you're the most experienced I've talked to, give me any tips you have on weight loss. My daughter talked to a friend at work that is getting her band through Kaiser and she said that all we have to do is go through nutrition classes once a week until your surgery. I asked if there was a certain number you had to attend and she said no. She's (the friend)already been through her orientation class, psych evaluation and tests. She has to loose a little weight for her surgery (I guess she's too tight in the belly) and then she can go in. I'm not quite sure what's going on there but I guess she'll be going in soon. I'm still waiting for my letter with my orientation date. I received the letter of referral so that will be the next step. I promised myself I would be patient. I'm not doing a real good job at it though. :)

I was approved by Kaiser for GP, went throught the program and got a surgery date. I changed my mind. That was last May 2006.

I never felt at peace about GP. I wanted the band originally and they did not offer it back then.

Now they do lap band and I am re-entering the program. They will tell this week if I need to go through it all again or not, meanwhile I wait. Kaiser has a great weight loss program, so if you must go through it...good. You learn so much. The psych eval was no big deal. Very relaxed and just sat and chatted with the doc. Lots of issues to look at, emotionally. I will be waiting to hear more this week from them on where I am at and what I need to do next. I live in Puebo Colorado and will get the procedure done in Colorado Springs...if I get approved. It is all good. My BMI hovers around 39/40. I have major spinal issues. I must get the weight off with or without the band. Good luck to you all.

Vicki, what Kaiser plan do you have? Silver, Gold Platnum? With Rx or HSA option? Thank you for your post!

~Kathy

Hi Kim in S.F.

I'm in Auburn (near Sacramento) and just got my first appt. notice for SSF I have orientation June 5. I'm so excited and glad to find someone at same location. Good luck and if you can keep me posted on your progress, that will help me to know just what to expect. I didn't know about the test with Dr. so Thanks already. Guess I will recieve a letter soon to make that appt.

Hi mammatee, Glad to hear that you received a date for your orientation! I'll be going in this Friday for my EKG, chest x-ray, and lab work. Then it's more waiting until my orientation on the 22nd. I don't really know what to expect at that point. I'm hoping to get things going soon... I'm so ready to start losing weight! I'll post my progress and each step required by Kaiser so you all know what you can expect. :-)

Wow! Have I been out of the loop! I see that we've gotten a few new people with Kaiser. I'm so glad to see that since I couldn't find anybody to even talk about Kaiser when I started this.

Kathy - I don't know which plan we have. I'll have to look that up when I get home. It's through the City of Rocklin. I'll try to get some of that info for you. I know my daugter's program does not have RX. She'll be paying $250 for her band. Mine will either be free or $10. Does that help?

Mammatee - You're from Auburn?! I'm from Penryn. (Some of you guys will go...huh?..to Penryn) Kim brought it to my attention that you'll be at the orientation on the same day as my daughter and I. How crazy is that!?

Shermy58 - Glad to have you aboard. Thanks for the information about the diet program. I wasn't really worried. I'm curious about the having to loose 10% of your body weight between orientation and surgery. Any words about that? I didn't want to go GB either. I have a friend here at work getting the VGS which is the only other thing I MIGHT consider. She went for her psych appointment yesterday and said it was a breeze.

Kim - Thanks for rattling my cage and getting me to check in. I'll try to do it more often.

Ok everyone....we're on our way!