Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not even been to the appointment yet.....

but I thought it very important to find out as much info as possible and stumbled upon this site. I have been lurking for an hour and think this is where I need to read and ask questions. I really do not have any that have not been answered yet.

I do feel nervous about it all when I think about taking out part of my stomach, but something has got to give. I want to be healthier, I want to feel better, and shop on the regular side of the store.

I will update more when I get closer.

Ask any question you need answered. We are here and ready and willing to help..If you want to you can PM me any time and I will get back to you asap! I know where you are coming from. Been there done that...:)

I was nervous too about losing a major portion of my stomach, but really, it's the best decision I could have made. Just the relief at not feeling hungry all the time is wonderful. I can focus on things other than when my next meal is going to be :D

I found this site a few weeks prior to surgery, and honestly, reading on here made me positive I'd made the right decision. Even those who had complications were still more than happy with the procedure. And I was tired of always being the fat one sitting on the sidelines. I wanted to be the energetic one that has Energizer Bunny levels of energy...just keeps going and going and going...

I want to know what made you choose sleeve vs.gastric. I have been studying sleeve and I think thats what I want but when I went to the seminar my dr talked up gastric like he likes that one more. I just dont like the idea of messing with the intestines it grosses me out.

Excited to have replies.

Infinite Butterfly - you hit the nail on the head saying when you said "focusing on other stuff instead of my next mean".

That is me -

I actually talked with my surgeon over the phone on Friday. We are acquaintences, and he also performed my lumpectomy for my Breast Cancer in January 2013. I thought I had been having gall bladder pains and he called because they were having to reschedule some appts and he wanted to talk with me.

He said at one point that there was something he wanted to discuss, but did not mean it in a bad way. I told him I knew exactly what he was going to say and was going to bring it up to him during the appt. He said that he liked the Sleeve over Bypass and LapBand because it was metabolic also and not just a physical one. He explained about the hormone.

I also would not choose the bypass because before I started teaching I would for a gastroenterology group. I saw too many people with complications with dumping syndrome. And as a science teacher, I can understand removal over rerouting. Our intestines were made to flow a certain way. I will still have some stomach after the surgery and food will flow through it like our bodies were made for.

My college roommate's husband (who is an OBGYN) also had this done. So, I kinda figure that if a doctor has it then it should be pretty safe too. He is next on my list to call before the appt.

I just like the idea of leaving everything like its supposed to be with taking the extra tummy out rather than messing with my tummy and intestines.

I mean if your stomach is so small and its attached to intestines, are you going to throw up bile after a while?

By the time I'd made up my mind that I was going to have surgery, I was way more scared about where my life was headed if I didn't do it, (that picture was 100% bleak), than of the potential complications if I did (like 5% potential complications). I chose the sleeve over they bypass as with a BMI of 37, I had about 100 pounds to lose. Not as much as a lot of folks here, but still a significant amount. I didn't want\need the malabsorption effect you get with they bypass and long term the complications, (dumping, etc) were less. Plus I just liked the idea of keeping it simple. Some docs prefer the bypass as it is the "gold standard" for WLS. It's been around longer as a WLS. The fact is, that they've been doing stomach reductions (sleeves) for a long time for gastric issues, (ulcers, cancer, etc), so the procedure is not as "new" as you might think. It's just only been approved as a WLS by insurance in the last 2 years or so. For me it was the best decision I ever made. No complications, out of the hospital in 24 hours and back to work the next week. Now, nearly at my goal, I've lost an "Olsen Twin" and have left an armload of health problems behind. I enjoy an active lifestyle and eat what I like in small portions. I can totally trade the lifetime of extra supplements, Vitamins and Protein for what I've achieved today. Life. Is. Good!

By the time I'd made up my mind that I was going to have surgery, I was way more scared about where my life was headed if I didn't do it, (that picture was 100% bleak), than of the potential complications if I did (like 5% potential complications). I chose the sleeve over they bypass as with a BMI of 37, I had about 100 pounds to lose. Not as much as a lot of folks here, but still a significant amount. I didn't want\need the malabsorption effect you get with they bypass and long term the complications, (dumping, etc) were less. Plus I just liked the idea of keeping it simple. Some docs prefer the bypass as it is the "gold standard" for WLS. It's been around longer as a WLS. The fact is, that they've been doing stomach reductions (sleeves) for a long time for gastric issues, (ulcers, cancer, etc), so the procedure is not as "new" as you might think. It's just only been approved as a WLS by insurance in the last 2 years or so. For me it was the best decision I ever made. No complications, out of the hospital in 24 hours and back to work the next week. Now, nearly at my goal, I've lost an "Olsen Twin" and have left an armload of health problems behind. I enjoy an active lifestyle and eat what I like in small portions. I can totally trade the lifetime of extra supplements, Vitamins and Protein for what I've achieved today. Life. Is. Good!

I agree. I have so many medical problems that its a have to surgery not a want to.

I want to know what made you choose sleeve vs.gastric. I have been studying sleeve and I think thats what I want but when I went to the seminar my dr talked up gastric like he likes that one more. I just dont like the idea of messing with the intestines it grosses me out.

The entire reason I personally chose the sleeve over the by-pass was because of food break down and absorption of nutrients. Having the food go into the stomach gives you a chance to start the break down process where as your bowels break it down yes, true but the stomach does the acid and does break down the food somewhat. then as it enters the small intestine it breaks down more and last but not least the large intestine takes what's left and then sends it out the shoot.....

I read as much as I could about all 3 options. My decision came down to this. I didn't want for an object my body so no lap band and I also thought the idea of messing around with my small intestines was nasty from what I read about bypass a lot of the negative was the malabsorption of nutrients and so I decided I want to keep my small intestines just limit the size of my stomach so sleeve it for me I'm now almost 6 weeks out I still do get hungry but nothing near as bad as I used to I am cutting down on high blood pressure medicines on type two diabetes medicines and I have so much energy I love my energy.

I read as much as I could about all 3 options. My decision came down to this. I didn't want for an object my body so no lap band and I also thought the idea of messing around with my small intestines was nasty from what I read about bypass a lot of the negative was the malabsorption of nutrients and so I decided I want to keep my small intestines just limit the size of my stomach so sleeve it for me I'm now almost 6 weeks out I still do get hungry but nothing near as bad as I used to I am cutting down on high blood pressure medicines on type two diabetes medicines and I have so much energy I love my energy.

That's Exactly my thoughts on it also.

I got the band in 2008 and at that time it was that or bypass and I didn't like the moving if things with the bypass. Fast forward to today after losing 121 lbs and having a baby my band is just making me sick. Sometime to come out on Wednesday and get the sleeve. Just praying the band hasn't caused a lot of damage or scar tissue so my dr can do the sleeve.

just remember no question is to small to ask. Your dr should be able to help answer any you have and give you all the data to make a choice that is best for you.