Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looks like i am switching teams.

I had been leaning toward the sleeve but it seems my doctor has other ideas. And since the only medical degree I have was one I printed out I think I will give his opinion a wee bit of importance. I have GERD and am pre- Barrett's so I knew the sleeve was iffy. I had my orientation session and was told by the RN Case Manager that their docs would not do the sleeve for someone with my condition. And considering I am a binge sweetaholic the bypass Is probably better. Oh well I was getting tired of donuts anyway. I am concerned though as anti inflammatories are my best friend. I believe I have arthritis nearly everywhere possible. I am going to begin to look at other options since margaritas appear out too. I know the weight loss will help the hips and knees as I was in relatively good shape and athletic just 4 years ago. I had lost 130 pounds on WW and was running, mountain biking (best high in the world), weight lifting and loving it all. Then I tore my hip up and slowly 80 pounds of the weight came back on. And now it is hard to even walk. I waddle...and I am too young to waddle! So I committed to this endeavor. I have 6 months to wait..great Christmas present though.

Edited by Crosby

I have fibromyalgia, arthritis, stenosis of the spine, RSD and a few other things.

Gastric bypass has helped in that I'm more mobile then I was a year ago.

You can not take arthritis medicines with bypass because it will cause problems like ulcers.

You can not take Advil or anything like it because of the same reason.

If you go to a pain doctor they can give you alternatives for the pain that are not narcotics and won't hurt your stomach. They are topical pain relievers.

Good luck with your future surgery.

You sound a lot like me. I too had planned on the sleeve but was told the same as you. I have gerd and Barretts also. My knees , shoulders and hands ache from arthritis. I had lost about 50 lbs back 5 years ago and after a rotator cuff major injury, I put it all back on. I started this process back in December and I am nearly at the end. With all my issues I will go with my doctors suggestion, gastric bypass. July 8th is my date and I cant wait to start this and extend my life I am 68 years old and I want to outlive the rest of my sibling who have all passed from cancer. I am ready to finally conquer this demon I have.

I have fibromyalgia, arthritis, stenosis of the spine, RSD and a few other things. Gastric bypass has helped in that I'm more mobile then I was a year ago. You can not take arthritis medicines with bypass because it will cause problems like ulcers. You can not take Advil or anything like it because of the same reason. If you go to a pain doctor they can give you alternatives for the pain that are not narcotics and won't hurt your stomach. They are topical pain relievers. Good luck with your future surgery.

It is good to know that there are those who can relate. I am aware I can't take them..which is where the concern comes from. I seen the topical ones..would probably need to bathe in them :) Narcotics are not my friend at all....I would rather deal with the pain.

You sound a lot like me. I too had planned on the sleeve but was told the same as you. I have gerd and Barretts also. My knees , shoulders and hands ache from arthritis. I had lost about 50 lbs back 5 years ago and after a rotator cuff major injury, I put it all back on. I started this process back in December and I am nearly at the end. With all my issues I will go with my doctors suggestion, gastric bypass. July 8th is my date and I cant wait to start this and extend my life I am 68 years old and I want to outlive the rest of my sibling who have all passed from cancer. I am ready to finally conquer this demon I have.

Good luck to you..you are close to your date!

I just found out yesterday I cannot have the sleeve. Not sure I want to proceed with bypass.... how to decide??

I just found out yesterday I cannot have the sleeve. Not sure I want to proceed with bypass.... how to decide??

For me it was a slight disappointment as I had invested in learning so much on the sleeve..but now I get to learn more. I don't see it as all that different...and probably what I needed anyway. You probably just need some time to ingest ( no pun intended) it all.

I too had originally opted for the sleeve but for many of the same reasons you gave changed my mind and opted for the bypass. Until this past year even though I was morbidly(i hate that word) obese I was riding my bike up to 20 miles,taking clases including SPIN at the gym and was very active. I have a very arthritic knee which has limited my activity to the point where I can't do much. I am an RN so am on my feet alot and by the end of my shift even if I wanted to go to the gym I cannot. I am looking forward to getting the surgery on 6/24 and getting back to the activities I love and miss. I think with some time and learning more you will be more comfortable with the bypass. Good luck. :)

I too had originally opted for the sleeve but for many of the same reasons you gave changed my mind and opted for the bypass. Until this past year even though I was morbidly(i hate that word) obese I was riding my bike up to 20 miles,taking clases including SPIN at the gym and was very active. I have a very arthritic knee which has limited my activity to the point where I can't do much. I am an RN so am on my feet alot and by the end of my shift even if I wanted to go to the gym I cannot. I am looking forward to getting the surgery on 6/24 and getting back to the activities I love and miss. I think with some time and learning more you will be more comfortable with the bypass. Good luck. :)

Hi I'm a band to a sleeve conversion. However I had dial action with band it was removed. Now with sleeve a year later bad reflux. I've had three dial actions still reflux. Having bravo done next week. Doctor says bypass will cure reflux. Just a little scared of bypass issues. Any thoughts

I don't mean this in any offensive manner but I don't understand why people are so afraid of the bypass. I was MUCH more afraid of making my reflux worse. As far as recovery or pain goes, I think the bypass and sleeve are very similar. With the bypass or sleeve, you still have to take Vitamins and supplements for life. Bypass does has the possibility of dumping syndrome but I consider that to be a helpful thing -- negative reinforcement of my body teaching me what I should NOT be eating. Only 9 days out but haven't experienced it. And, I've heard some sleeve patients also have dumping syndrome.

I chose bypass because I also have GERD and bypass is more successful for curing that. My doctor explained that most acid is formed in the lower part of the stomach and by bypassing that, you won't create as much acid. With sleeve, the lower stomach is still producing acid and the stomach is smaller so the acid can reflux even more than before surgery.

Both surgeries are pretty dramatic and invasive. The bypass is the gold standard with the most proven benefits and long-term safety data. I wouldn't let the fear of bypass stop me from gaining health and losing weight.

Again -- not being offensive to anyone -- we all have our own priorities and factors that weight in to decision-making.

I don't mean this in any offensive manner but I don't understand why people are so afraid of the bypass. I was MUCH more afraid of making my reflux worse. As far as recovery or pain goes, I think the bypass and sleeve are very similar. With the bypass or sleeve, you still have to take Vitamins and supplements for life. Bypass does has the possibility of dumping syndrome but I consider that to be a helpful thing -- negative reinforcement of my body teaching me what I should NOT be eating. Only 9 days out but haven't experienced it. And, I've heard some sleeve patients also have dumping syndrome. I chose bypass because I also have GERD and bypass is more successful for curing that. My doctor explained that most acid is formed in the lower part of the stomach and by bypassing that, you won't create as much acid. With sleeve, the lower stomach is still producing acid and the stomach is smaller so the acid can reflux even more than before surgery. Both surgeries are pretty dramatic and invasive. The bypass is the gold standard with the most proven benefits and long-term safety data. I wouldn't let the fear of bypass stop me from gaining health and losing weight. Again -- not being offensive to anyone -- we all have our own priorities and factors that weight in to decision-making.

No offense taken. Changing was a bit disappointing only because I had done so much investigation into the sleeve. I settled for the Sleeve initially because of ability to continue on anti inflammatories which is not possible with the RNY. That still bums me out and is my biggest concern. Despite that I have settled on RNY and believe I will be so much healthier.

I am also getting prepared for GB sugery. Had gone in wanting the sleeve but Dr feels my reflux has a 50/50 chance of getting worse. I also have a lot of scar tissue from other surgeries so he really is unsure about which procedure I will get until he actually gets in there so it will be a surprise. I am more afraid of the bypass just because you are messing with intestines - something I had to have surgery on before because they kept twisting - I am also so afraid of something happening and losing my job and not being able to get the shots I would need for the rest of my life. With sleeve I just felt more comfortable and confidant that I wouldnt need AS much after care as you do with the bypass. May be totally wrong about that - but either way I am doing this! I am in fact waiting on the Dr's office to call to scedule the procedure. Looking for August for it to happen and cant wait!

I also had planned on the sleeve and was told by my doctor that the bypass was better for me. I guess I have a small hiatal hernia and he is afraid Im going to suffer acid reflux with the sleeve. I'm a bit nervous about this change, so I'll be doing alot of research and try not to be too scared! I got my surgery date today for Aug 6th.

@@Paula C. Does the doctor plan to repair the hernia? I went in with what the esophogram showed to be a small hernia that he planned to repair. When he went in, it turned out the hernia was much larger than the esophogram had shown and he did repair it. He said it probably was a large contributor to the GERD.