Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Window of time to lose weight?

I've been reading today and the topic of the window of time to lose weight is about a year. I've tried doing a search and can't find anything. Where did this come from and why do you only have a time frame to lose weight? What's up with that? If I've got 200 lbs to lose how would I ever lose that in just a year? Am I SOL if I don't lose all my weight in a year? I need some research on this topic. Anyone done any research and can explain this?

There is a window about 18 months. Once you get locked in with a doctor you will be going to classes that educate you on what the surgery you are choosing is all about, what you can expect and so on... Good luck to you

There's a metabolism reset that lasts anywhere from 6-18 months where you're burning calories like a 16 year old boy. After that it's slows back to what it was pre-op. This is the time frame where you will lose the majority of your excess weight.

There's what called the "honeymoon period" of about 12 mths or so. Meaning, it will be EASIER for u to lose the first 12 mths, not that ur limited to 12 months. Ur right, how r we expected to lose so much in 1 yr? U aren't. Ur just sposed to take advantage of the easier first 12 mths to lose weight. I think it's cuz most peoples hunger comes back after the first year. I never lost mine so my honeymoon period was the first 10 days!

Most people will continue to lose at a much slower pace after the first year. Not sure where that "window" "rule" became and actual "rule", cuz it's not.

Good luck!

Not to argue with u, but where exactly did u get ur info? Had no clue my metabolism was even affected by making my stomach smaller. I'm interested in reading about this...

Never mind. Found a website with info on it. interesting. never knew this

There's a metabolism reset that lasts anywhere from 6-18 months where you're burning calories like a 16 year old boy. After that it's slows back to what it was pre-op. This is the time frame where you will lose the majority of your excess weight.

Edited by marfar7

Not to argue with u, but where exactly did u get ur info? Had no clue my metabolism was even affected by making my stomach smaller. I'm interested in reading about this... Never mind. Found a website with info on it. interesting. never knew this

What website? I'll have to do some searching online I suppose.

There is a window about 18 months. Once you get locked in with a doctor you will be going to classes that educate you on what the surgery you are choosing is all about, what you can expect and so on... Good luck to you

I've already had surgery and my surgeon and classes said nothing about a window of 18 months. I'll have to keep searching for info.

The only thing I've found is that it's easier to lose weight for the first year. Perhaps that's just because most of us just have so much to lose and it becomes harder to lose the weight as we get closer to goal. I haven't found any scientific research on the subject. That's what I'm looking for so of anyone has any good info please share. I'll keep looking but it doesn't seem to me that the "window" of opportunity is anything metabolic.

The only thing I've found is that it's easier to lose weight for the first year. Perhaps that's just because most of us just have so much to lose and it becomes harder to lose the weight as we get closer to goal. I haven't found any scientific research on the subject. That's what I'm looking for so of anyone has any good info please share. I'll keep looking but it doesn't seem to me that the "window" of opportunity is anything metabolic.

It seen like you're scared of the notion that you won't make it. Don't look at it like that. As long as you want to lose weight you will, period! You've had the surgery, the best decision you could have made for yourself NOW just work it. Don't box yourself into another head trip. You're on control of the length of time. Good luck!

I think the window idea comes from research - patterns of how people usually lose after surgery. I will try to find an article I read online and post it here. My surgeon sent me an webcast to watch and it had this info included - that people lose weight fastest in the first 3 months, still lose at a good pace through 6 months, then weight loss slows and eventually stops at 12-18 months.

That video also mentions that at 1 year most can eat about a lean cuisine sized meal, which is more than the 1/2 cup or so right after surgery.

I'm taking the window seriously - people in the support groups I'm in (who are struggling to lose last few pounds or have regained some) have urged me to do so and I appreciate the advice.

I think the window idea comes from research - patterns of how people usually lose after surgery. I will try to find an article I read online and post it here. My surgeon sent me an webcast to watch and it had this info included - that people lose weight fastest in the first 3 months, still lose at a good pace through 6 months, then weight loss slows and eventually stops at 12-18 months. That video also mentions that at 1 year most can eat about a lean cuisine sized meal, which is more than the 1/2 cup or so right after surgery. I'm taking the window seriously - people in the support groups I'm in (who are struggling to lose last few pounds or have regained some) have urged me to do so and I appreciate the advice.

Thanks! I want to use this time effectively too!

I've heard that too, however I've seen folks buck that trend. One in particular had R\Y 13 years ago, lost like 200 pounds, and recently took off the last 20. I'm 8 months out and I know my weight loss has slowed down a lot over time, (which works for me as I'm about done anyway). In addition to being the easiest time to lose weight, it's the time when you'll build the habits that will need to carry your through the rest of your life as a thin person! Make the most of your first year!

Check out the Vets forum--there are definitely people who do lose farther out. Does it come off as quickly? Probably not. But they do continue to lose. There are so many success stories.

There is an excellient site that lays out the reasons these surgery works:

http://www.laparoscopic.md/

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm off to do more research, too.