Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My story -- June 9th surgery

Just got home today from the hospital. Thought I'd share some of my experience to maybe help someone preop to know what they might expect.

My surgery was scheduled for 1:00 pm with a noon report time. I got there a little early and found out the doctors were running late. I had some nausea pre-surgery... lots of reflux pain from not having anything by mouth for so long. They gave me some glucose and anti-nausea med in the IV pre-surgery.

When I was wheeled in the operating room, the doc said 'hi', the anesthesiologist said "take 5 deep breaths" and boom, I was gone.

I woke up in recovery, just trying to keep my eyes open. They didn't have rooms available on the bariatric floor and I got stuck on the cardiac floor instead. That turned out to be a little problem because the nurses didn't want me walking anywhere except the bathroom. I had a lot of gas pain across the fronts of my shoulders but was really surprised that there wasn't any pain at all in my stomach area.

Tuesday afternoon, a pulmonologist stopped by to check on me and I said I was having a lot of pressure when I breathed and all of the sudden, everything got hectic. He had a cardiologist come by, had cardiac labs done, had and EKG and a chest xray. Everything came out fine. I kept trying to tell them it was because of the gas and because they weren't letting me walk, but nobody wants to hear that if they suspect a heart attack.

Finally, about 9 pm, they moved me from the cardiac floor to the bariatric. I immediately started walking laps. I woke up this morning in pretty bad chest pain -- was having trouble catching my breath. I called for some pain med and the tech said they would have the nurse come right down. I tried walking it off, sitting upright in the chair and anything else I could do, but it was really bad. Of course, the tech never got ahold of the nurse so she never came with any meds but eventually I fell back asleep and the pain was ok. Left the hospital around 2:00.

Overall I've been impressed that I haven't been in more pain. I expected the gas (had laparscopic surgery before) but that one time this morning was much worse than I expected. The doctor said it's probably worse because my hiatal hernia was much bigger than the esophogram done 2 years ago only showed it to be about 2 cm. He said it took an extra 30 minutes or so in surgery to correct that. So, he said I could expect to have a lot of pressure here.

Now, the fun starts -- let's bring on the food stages, the head hunger games and the pounds dropping! lol

Thanks to ALL of you who share stories -- it made me so much more confident about making this decision.

Ginger so glad you are doing okay.

As the days go on you will feel better and better, also stronger.

What a wonderful gift you gave yourself.

Congratulations and here's to a healthier life.

Little update... Landed back in the hospital Friday with pneumonia. Really think it's directly related to not being allowed to walk that first day. Still just pressure in the chest. At least now they are letting me roam the halls all I want.

Should get out late tonight or Monday. Very easy to stay compliant when they're bring your Clear liquids on a tray. Even getting the hospital's bariatric Protein drink!

When I was admitted Friday I was down 10 pounds from Mondays surgery weight. Probably in one-derland right now. Need to have them weigh me again! Lol