Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 weeks out strong food cravings and hunger

Hello everyone,

I am almost 2 weeks out of surgery and am pretty upset with myself. I know this surgery is only a tool for weight loss, but I was hoping it would be slightly easier. I always knew my weight problems were due to my psychological addiction to food, but after failed counseling and failed everything else I decided to go through with the sleeve in hopes that it would take away my appetite and decrease my endulgences. I am not saying the surgery wasn't a success I am already off of my blood pressure meds and down 34lbs. I am just consumed with thinking about eating, dreaming of it, depressed because I can't eat it. I am bending rules like making chicken broth with my egg mixed in to allow for more palatable food and I know that is wrong. I have been very successful with weight loss before and I am usually pretty strong when it comes to following rules, but I am just worried that I cannot keep it up for life. Some people say their relationship with food changed after the surgery I don't see that happening for me. I wait the whole day just thinking about that egg, it's pathetic. I have also been very busy, active and have resumed exercising with no relief.

Let me get this right...you put an egg into chicken broth and feel like you're failing because of it? Have you been doing anything else that is "off plan"? Honey, I take it you are in a clear liquid phase right now. Of course you want food! Your body needs food to survive, otherwise, we would all be on liquid diets forever.

You aren't even 2 weeks out of surgery yet. Try to relax. Once you go onto full liquids and finally food, I think you will see your relationship with food begin to change. I was a little weepy at first too, and I dreamed of Pasta at night. (Weird, huh?) But now I am very happy I made this change. You will be too!

You can do this!!!

Thank you Amy, yeah it is just a mental battle in my head everyday that I am winning right now. I am just trying to take it day by day. Thank you for your help.

I am having the same feelings as you! The battle with my mind-I never expected to crave food but I do.