Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Consult Question...

Hi :wave:

I'm new to the board, and I've just started to seriously consider lap banding....well more than seriously consider, I'm ready to take the plunge.

I've booked 2 consults, one with TLBC and one with Dr. Cobourn at SWLC. The appointment with Dr. Cobourn is a consult with him. I get to meet him and ask questions.

I just spoke to Caryl at TLBC and the appointment there is with Kathy and if I choose to book the surgery I can either wait and hope to catch the Dr. in between surgeries or come back another time. I explained to her that I've done all my research and that basically I'm trying to make sure I feel happy and confident with the surgeon. I also explained that I was coming from out of town and that I had to take time off of work to come, but that didn't seem to make much of a difference.

I guess my question is, is this normal. Did those of you that booked at TLBC not actually meet the Dr. before you booked your surgery?

Thanks and although I haven't posted much the information I've found on this board has been so helpful in making my decision ;)

At TLBC I met hiim the day that I booked my surgery - which was a week after my consult. I really wanted some extra time to think about it and they were fine with that. When I called back that I wanted to book they also made an appointment for me with Dr. Yau at the same time. I really liked him and felt very confident (although he does look 15).

Good luck with your decision.

Susan

I had my consult over the phone as I live outta town. I never met dr till day of surgery, but I am sure if I would have requested I could have talke dto the dr or met him sooner.

I knew that I was booking surgery (I booked before my consult) and it happened to be a Friday. Dr. Yau was there and I met him after speaking to Nesrene - the consultant - no longer there - I agree with Susan Silver he does look 15. He was very comfortable with any questions I asked and said he wanted us to visit the clinic anytime as he valued his clients and said the waiting room is a great place to gather info and converse with other lapsters.

he wanted us to visit the clinic anytime as he valued his clients and said the waiting room is a great place to gather info and converse with other lapsters.

Absolutely! When I was there for when I met him, I arrived an hour earlier because of the time change and a problem with our calendars at work.:eek:

It was fortuitious though, because I got to talk to a number of other patients at different stages and it was great. I felt even more confident after that.

The other option you have is to ask for a phone consult with the surgeon and I am sure knowing Dr Yau he would be avaiable to talk to you. He has always made time for his patients, no matter what the reason.

Thanks for the replies everyone :girl_hug:

Dr. Yau sounds like an awesome guy so I'm sure I would have gotten to speak with him.

My first consult happened to be with Dr. Cobourn yesterday and I really liked him, so I went ahead and booked it :faint:

LMCHP I was banded by Dr. Cobourn and things happened the same for me as well. I met him and I felt very comfortable with him. Congrats on setting the date. It will come and go in no time. :biggrin1:

I'm sure the time will go quickly, but it just seems like forever to wait...

I think since I liked Dr. Cobourn, I booked it so I wouldn't allow myself to change my mind. Also, Dr. Yau sounds like a super awesome doctor and I think if I would have gone to meet him too, I would have liked him just as much and then I would be agonizing over my decision.

I'm nuts that way :girl_hug:

Now I'm off to make a ticker, although it'll kill me to put my weight out there for all to see. But, I think it's a good step in taking control and I reallllly like the tickers. They're cute :)

Right on, that is also how it went for me pretty much. We did a phone consult and he made me feel very comfortable and he didn't rush at all in fact he called from his home -=smiles=- someone was practicing piano in the background lol it was really nice and laid back.

When are you going to be having your surgery? I am going to be there May 28th till June2nd.

Congrats on doing the best thing for you!