Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are women getting banded more than men?

I have visited numerous Lap Band sites and always find that women are the majority everywhere. Is the Lap Band appealing women more or are men just too shy to admit they are having surgery?

Dan

I think that women make up the majority of the MO community, and that women are under more pressure socially and professionally to lose weight.

I also think that women are more likely to seek support than men - so even if the number of surgeries were equal, I think you would see more women in the support groups than men anyway.

JMHO and guess... Anyone else?

My husband has never been fat, but now he's getting a bit of a belly. But he's proud of it and says it's a sign of wealth. Men seem to accept being overweight more than women, I think. Plus, women have more body fat (don't we?) Men have more physical strength, which makes them have stronger muscles, and muscle burns fat faster. Heck, I don't even know what I'm talking about, but yes, more women get banded than men. However, I think eventually men will catch up. I had my surgery in May and asked my doctor why there were no men. He said he's been doing quite a few, and more men opt for the surgery every day.

You never hear society cracking jokes about fat men. It's always fat women. It's simply not acceptable to society for women to be fat.

Originally posted by DeLarla

You never hear society cracking jokes about fat men. It's always fat women. It's simply not acceptable to society for women to be fat.

Yes, but . . .

I have a fat male friend who was teased mercilessly as a child and still feels like a misfit even though he is a highly accomplished and wealthy guy. Most women think he's quite a catch -- until they find out about his size. I agree that American society is harder on fat women, but fat men don't have it that much better.

Say, fellas, what do you think?

Zoe, you are absolutely right. Obese men get the same discrimination, I'm just sick of radio DJs constantly making fun of fat women, no matter what kinda music I switch to.

You know men hate to talk about anything that has to do with the F word....FEELINGS..lol...I/m sure there are alot of men, they just dont seek out people like women do!!! Jeezz my SO either barely talks to me about emotional things, or overwhelms me... yeah I love him but good lord he drives me nuts either way...:)

Katie

Originally posted by DeLarla

Katie, I think we're married to the same man.

LOL if he drives you crazy that's him!!!!

but i'm crazy bout him just the same...

KT:D :):D :D

I think that being overweight bothers men more than we know... my "big" brother has been heavy since he was knee-high to a grasshoper and I can remember times when he would literally starve himself in order to lose weight. He would joke about it and act like the chub was something to be proud of... but I saw a different story in the privacy of our own home. He lost all of his extra weight once when he was in his 20's and a completely different person emerged... he was so happy! Unfortunately... he was unable to live his entire life on one meal a day. He still eats less than the average woman and battles his weight everyday of his life and is as crabby as a old bear.

I know my hubby hates his belly... I sure don't know why... I just love snuggling into it!

I do think that a man would be more hesitant to share that he is having WLS... which makes the Lapband perfect as it is a pretty easy surgery to hide! I love that we are seeing more men join the forum... hope it's a trend that continues.

Darcy

Everytime you get around a bunch of men, everytime one of them comes in the room or something the first words out of their mouths are something about their weight. Hey man, your getting a big gut there or what the hell have you been eating. Sometimes it is very suttle, but it is always there. Women don't say that to other women! I don't know whay men do that, but I always hear it. I actually have said something to my husband, asking why men put other men down so bad. I know it has to hurt feelings, but they still do it.

My husband always says something about his bellly, but as long as he likes his beer, he's gonna have that. It's not a big belly, but it is there. I tell him it's a beer belly and he tells me it's a Betty belly from all my cooking. lol I'm like you Darcy, I like to snuggle up to it too.:):D :D

I call my sweetie's belly "THE BUDDHA BELLY" Sorry not intended to offend anyone but that is what I call it. I just love to rub it and pet it and well you get the picture.

LOL

California dan

I have have been large 230-250 range most of my life. Then I spent 26 yrs as a cop (you guessed it them damn donuts) and I was always dieting with some program. Lose some here put it back there and so forth. Everyone here knows the drill. Anyway I didn't even know about the BAND until a fellow church member started losing weight and I asked him how he was dong it.

Told me in confidence that he had the surgery. I asked him about it and he put me in touch With Dr Hawasli in Detroit and That was all I needed. My friend still doesn't tell people but I'm real vocal about it. The more the word gets out the more overweight people can help them selves get a grip.

I know the band doesn't get rid of the weight its what is in the ole head that does it. But the band sure helps keep my head in line.

I agree with most of the prior post about societies views on men vs women as to size. (size doesn't matter???). I also think more men have had it done then we realize just men don't like to discuss it as much. We should be like our female friends (although we can never be as cute as they are) and speak out and discuss not only this but other health matters and we could all live much longer, happier lives.

Good luck

Greg