Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lower Left abdominal pain

Okay - spent 2 days in hospital on this one. I was banded 5/8/06, and other than port-site pain have not really had any problems. About 6 months ago, I had pretty bad low abdominal pain (left side) - similar to EXTREMELY bad gas/constipation, although those problems did not exsist. Lasted a couple of days then went away. February of this year, had it again - again lasted a couple of days, then I got my period, so put it off to getting older and body changes.

This past Friday (4/13/07 - how ironic) started getting the pain again. By Sunday, I couldn't get off the couch or out of the fetal position. Went to emergency room.

After a cat-scan, the doctors thought there was an infection (yikes!) but later determined that it was Fluid around the tubing of the lap-band. My particular tubing runs from the port down my left side and back up to the band.

Although these doctors are not familiar with lap-bands, they THINK that the tubing and/or the Fluid (where does THAT come from?) is irritating the muscles in the colon area - sending them into spasm.

This is EXTREMELY painful, and I would like insight, information, cures for this conditions (I do NOT want to remove the tubing or my band).

Please help!

When I was banded, I was not given any pain medication, I was given muscle relaxers, because it's the muscles spasming that causes the pain. I would see if your doctor would give you muscle relaxers that you could use when this flairs up.

I can't really send the scans - I was banded in Monterrey MX. I may however have my fill doctor take a look at them (I am scheduled for a fill on May 5th).

=c)

Deezer

I can't really send the scans - I was banded in Monterrey MX. I may however have my fill doctor take a look at them (I am scheduled for a fill on May 5th).

=c)

Deezer

Most times the films can be scanned and emailed from the doc who ordered them to your surgeon. Fill doc is good too assuming he places bands.

There are docs who do fills but they don't do the surgical procedure to place the band. Just my opinion but I really think the more eyes looking at this the better. See if you can get both your surgeon and your fill doc to see the films.

Yup, get other opinions. And there are some good muscle relaxers. I like baclofen for use during the day myself because it is a lot less drowsy causing then some of the others. Also, I wonder if you were evaluated for ovarian cysts? Since you mentioned that one time the pain went away after your period, the caught my attention. A few years ago I had a monster cyst (it was a big ole complex one and probably had a torsion) making me very sick. But several ER visits and other docs never even thought of gynecological stuff. They look for cysts with a pelvic exam and vaginal ultrasound. Not exactly a fun time, but not that bad either. Its something to rule out at least.

Okay, here's my horror story...

I went back to the emergency room on 4/26/07 as the pain had increased to the point where I was crying all the time. After ANOTHER round of painkillers and catscans, it was determined that I had an "abscess" just above my colon. I was sent down to have the abscess drained (which is NOT fun, involving a long needle and a tube placed in the area).

The doctors are unsure of what started the infection - it was more than likely NOT caused from the surgery itself (as that was a year ago), but once it started, it compromised the lapband.

Today is 5/1/07 - I have just been released from the hospital, however, I still have a drain in my side (which by the way FREAKS me out), and am not online trying to book a flight to Mexico to have my band removed. No one here will touch it, as it isn't FDA approved.

My surgeon in Mexico is VERY good, and is going to take it out for me (at an additional cost of $4000 + flight), as the tubing ran right through the middle of the abscess, and has compromised the entire devise. The surgeon in Mexico says he thinks he can save the lapband, but I don't want a recurrance of this, as it is so painfull, and costly that I have decided to have it removed.

Now to throw a wrench in the whole thing...last year when I flew to Mexico, you didn't need a passport - I don't have a passport. Now I have to fly to Texas, and then take a 3 - 4 hour drive through Mexico to get to my doctor. I also have to travel with this drain in my side (which scares the living bejesus out of me), I won't be back to work for at least another 2 weeks, and my husband will need to take the time off to accompany me (although I did the band on my own, I don't think I can make it through this round without him there).

Costs so far: $8000 for the band, $42,000 hospital (of which we pay 20%), $4000 for removal. = $20,400 out of pocket (not including airfares and extras).

Needless to say, I have been extremely depressed, and in constant tears through this entire ordeal.

Thanks for listening - will post a follow-up when I get back from Mexico.

=c)

Deezer

Oh, Deezer, that's awful! What a terrible thing. :) I don't blame you for being depressed and teary, but try to hang on to the good thing about all this. Once your band is removed you can HEAL and you will be healthy again. I hope your infection is quickly a thing of the past. :hug:

I am writing this from a computer at the hotel in Mexico. On Wednesday (4/2/07) the band was removed. I still have the drain in my lower abdomen, and a drain is also inserted just above my belly button. I am hopefull that both will be removed this morning. The driver is coming at 9:00 to pick me up and it will be decided then.

The removal is more painfull that the insertion was - I am told that is because he had to stitch up the muscles more.

The pain is more bearable today than it was yesterday.}

I will write more when I return to the states.

Thank you all for your concern.

Deezer