Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those just starting out

I know that stats are important. Many of us post those stats. We do it just to show where we were and where we are. Some are still losing and some have made it to maintenance.

But for those starting out, please please stay off the scale. I know how tempting it is but don't give in to that temptation. If you follow your doctor's and/or nutritionist's protocol, you will lose weight.

If you follow the program....eat less, exercise more, you will lose. Hopefully your band, or other surgery will make it easier to walk away from temptation but you will still have to make that call. For some, it will be a rocky road to that goal, and for others, not so much. Such is this journey...it is very individualized. But some things are consistent and those are what I noted above.

This is a lifelong change and regardless of how long it takes, or what your definition of goal is, there's no need to obsess. I'm in maintenance at this point and here is where the challenge lies. I've lost weight before...but to keep it off...to be like this for the rest of my life...that's my goal now.

And part of that goal is to stay away from the scale. I know at a year and a half out, how much I can eat. I know when I'm out to dinner, to pay attention and stop when I'm no longer hungry....which is a vast change from prior to banding when I ate till I was stuffed. There's a big difference between the two and it's not nor will it ever be something that occurs naturally for me. I will always have to listen for my band to talk to me. And woe is me if I don't listen... ;)

So anyway....just to sum up this rant...eat smart, eat small, chew well, and move. Even if you have challenges, move anyway. I couldn't barely walk before being banded so I joined the Y and paddled around in the pool. Today I swim laps for an hour at a time. And I'm telling you all...if I could do this, so can you. I am one of those folks who got my life back with the band so I'm feeling entitled to tell you that you can do it too.

Good luck to all you newcomers. We are here for you with support and a little tough love if you need it, but also many kind words and understanding as well.

Edited by gowalking

Wonderful advice!! Another thing, I wish the "negative Nelly's" would zip-it! My biggest pet peeve since I got banded two weeks ago is the negative remarks! This was a huge decision for me. I only have 70 lbs to lose, which is a lot to me, but not like the 100-200 some have to lose. I'm so ready for my first fill. I'm hungry all the time :)

Thankfully I have never ran into a person that had anything bad to say to me about getting my band done, everyone has been as supportive & encouraging as they possibly could be.

I hid my scales pre-op, and I haven't looked at them since. I'm a happy lady for doing that.

You are soooooooooooooooo wise gowalking, thanks soooooooooooooooooooo much for your sound advice to those novice and those of us alittle farther out too!!!

Wonderful advice!! Another thing, I wish the "negative Nelly's" would zip-it! My biggest pet peeve since I got banded two weeks ago is the negative remarks! This was a huge decision for me. I only have 70 lbs to lose, which is a lot to me, but not like the 100-200 some have to lose. I'm so ready for my first fill. I'm hungry all the time :)

I totally agree... I've noticed that most of the negative comes from people who did not follow their Drs instructions. I chose to ignore. I had my lapband this past Friday and doing great. I want this and the only person to stop me is ME and that's not gonna happen. Time to get H&H which means Healthy and Hot!!!!