Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok. So, I am 3 weeks post op. I know this is a healing period and the focus is not necessarily weight loss. I also know that it took years to gain the weight and it will take time to lose it. With that said, the scale at my first post-op dr. visit showed me losing 20lbs since pre-op appt. I was psyched! I am a week and a half past that post-op appt. and the scale is showing that I have gained 6 pounds. I'm not happy. I am so tempted to go back on Clear Liquids. I never thought I would say that but here I am. Anyone experienced this?

Ok. So, I am 3 weeks post op. I know this is a healing period and the focus is not necessarily weight loss. I also know that it took years to gain the weight and it will take time to lose it. With that said, the scale at my first post-op dr. visit showed me losing 20lbs since pre-op appt. I was psyched! I am a week and a half past that post-op appt. and the scale is showing that I have gained 6 pounds. I'm not happy. I am so tempted to go back on clear liquids. I never thought I would say that but here I am. Anyone experienced this?

Get rid of that scale. Do it now. Hide it, throw it away....I don't care what you do but stay off it. You know just by what you wrote, that there are reasons why you shouldn't focus on the numbers, so why do it?

Just follow your doctor's instructions, do what you know you need to do, and the weight will come off. I promise. Look for the NSVs instead of what you weigh. Those are better than any number on a scale.

Please...you are just starting out and this is a lifelong journey. No need to sabotage yourself right out of the gate.

Toss the scale out for sure. I had my surgery done two years ago, and I haven't looked at a scale at home since. The only ones I will let myself look at is in the doctors office when I go in for my monthly check ups or other appointments, and when I do my monthly weighing/measuring at my gym.

I dropped 30 pounds pre-op, gained 15 post-op and then I started dropping again. You will fluctuate for quite a while after surgery, and again when you start introducing solid foods. Do not panic about it. Just follow what they say, and all will be good.

Edited by alicesandra

I would lock up the (evil) scale and just get it out once a week at the same time...follow the rules, and count your calories/protein etc...exercise...it will happen, the scale will play mind games. It may be just Water weight as your body went through a huge change. Us women hold Water on the drop of a dime (at least I do). As you workout, you may see gains due to muscle which is understandable. How do your clothes feel? Take measurements..you might be surprised!

Post op diet of liquids, then mushies...lost weight. Who wouldn't?

Then 4 weeks after surgery, got my first fill....also happened to be the time when I was allowed to go to full solid foods....

Between the first fill, and my 2nd fill 4 weeks after that, I gained weight....when i went in for my 2nd fill I felt guilty, and discouraged at the same time....\

Fortunately, my Dr. took it all in stride, laughed a little and said it was to be expected....nothing is going to be different until we get this band adjusted and working the way it was designed to do....

So I did get my 2nd fill, and things began to level off after that...not much weight loss, but stopped gaining at least...it took a 3rd fill to really start things happening in a positive way...

But everyone is a little different, and their fills are to the individual...if they have a fill at all....

You all are AWESOME! Almost immediately I asked my husband if he would store the scale where I cannot access it. (I am in a wheelchair). He did and I am happy about it. I committed myself to not go crazy over the numbers and that is what I need to do. Thank you for sharing your experiences about weight fluctuations with me. I think when a lot of us get this surgery, we are so ready...past ready really, to begin this process and any perceivable "setback" is enough to make you mad.

Mostly, what the weight loss does is motivate me to do the right things. It's hard to discipline yourself to this new way of eating if you cannot actually envision this change making a difference. I can't remember not being fat. So, there is some doubt still about how well this will work and what will happen. I just can't see it yet. Losing that 20 pounds made me realize that losing weight is possible. Put in the hard work, follow the rules and eat right and you will be rewarded. Gaining weight makes me want to eat something I am not supposed to. LOL However, I am not going to allow food to control me and guide my emotions and happiness. That is my biggest change and that is what is striving me to follow the rules. I just needed to get my mind straight.

Continuing onward........................

Edited by RSwann

indeed continue onward RSwann...things will work out for the best if you put those scales away...was getting myself totally crazy somedays...so I haven't weighed and won't until next week when I get my next fill. so will keep you in my thoughts dearheart...you are doing just fine!