Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New in Washington State

I have been browsing this site for over a year and I have finally decided that I am getting banded! I am a nursing student, so I have to wait until August for a break from school. My insurance says that they will pay, so I am looking for the right surgeon for me. If anyone has had a great experience here in Washington I would love to hear it. I live in Eastern Washington, but I would commute if I could find a good surgeon.

Hey there,

Just thought I'd let you know you are going to be so happy getting banded. Especially at your young age. How I wish this would have been available when I was your age. I'm 68 and had my surgery 17 months ago and have lost 92lbs. which is pretty good for an old gal. My goal was 100lbs so am getting really close. I think the best Doc in the country is Dr. Brad Watkins at the Northwest Weight Loss Surgery in Everett. He has an absolute state of the art clinic and has been doing these surgeries since 2001, so has a lot of experience. If you have any questions you can contact me at bleenstra@comcast.net.

Good Luck!

Berni

Check out the Washington group. To get there just go to the home page, scroll down to US local support groups,click, then when it gives you the state list click on Washington. There is one person from the Spokane area and a handful of us westsiders. check it out!

I had lapband procedure April 18, 2007, by Dr. Richard Benavides in Dallas, Texas.

Right now I am on liquids. What diets are being recommended for first month?

Hi, TheLid I live in the Spokane area, where are you, there is a new Doc in Spokane, he's not new to the band, just the area.

His name is

Dr Trotter, his number and address is Valley Outpatient Surgery Center 1414 N. Houk Rd, Suite 204 Spokane, Wa. 99216 phone 509-922-0362 or call his office 344-3100

and in Post Falls is

Dr John Pennings @ http://www.sbnsurg.com

There are few others also but these 2 seem to have the best reps.

Thanks for all of the advice. I have heard good things about the place in Everett, but they are not contracted with BCBS:( Has anyone heard about Dr Fox at the Surgical Weight Loss Clinic in Tacoma or Richland? I am in Moses Lake. Right in the middle of nowwhere, so I either have to go a few hours East or a few hours West. When I called Dr. Trotters office they said he had only done 3 lap bands! He sounded like a great guy, but I think I want someone who has more experience.

They are mistaken about Dr. Trotter he has done 100's when he was in Arizona, I think thats where he's said he was from. I was not impressed with his office staff they don't seem to have a clue so I spoke with him myself. Part of the problem is the girl that handled everything quit to work somewhere else and the girl that took her place didnt even know what a lapband was. So Sad. I complained to the admin office. He told me he is also willing to do followup for mexico patients.

Wow, that is quite a miscommunication! There is a big difference between 3 and over a hundred. The lady I talked to said that she was his first. She must have ment in Spokane. Thanks for the info. I am still looking for more info in Dr Fox in Tacoma/Richland. He is the closest to me with an office in Richland. I think it would be easier for follow-up.

Yes, that must be what she ment. Krem 2 did a story on him. I'm in Moses alot, my parents live in Lakeview and I came from Odessa. I'm going to Richland for my fills. Maybe we can carpool, if thats where you decide to go. keep me posted on your journey.

If it is the same Dr Fox, he has been around for 100 years. He was doing what they used to call stomach stapling, before anyone had heard of it. He also used to be on one of the TV news stations in Seattle when a reporter needed to ask a medical question. I think he has a large weight loss surgery practice. When I first started seeking information and Googled weight loss surgery his was one of the first sites to come up. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Thelid-

Hi, I responded to you on the Washington State page before I saw this post. I'm going through Dr Fox. Dr Ross Fox Sr is not doing surgery anymore but he does still see patients. His Son Dr Earl Fox is in practice with him and that is who is doing my surgery. I saw Dr Fox Sr for my history and physical and he did the seminar I attended. Then last week I had my pre-op w/Dr Earl Fox. So far everything has been great. I think they are pioneer's for WLS and their follow up program is great. Dr Fox Sr told me that the surgery is pretty easy and can be done by any surgeon pretty much but it's the follow up program that you really need to be successful. Keep us updated on your choice.

You should also check out Dr. Neal in Olympia. I get my fills done at his office since he is the only doc with a fluoroscope (live action x-ray for better restriction).

I had my band done in Mexico with Dr. Kuri, but have heard great things from Dr. Neal's patients, plus, he has lots of experience.

Dr Earl Fox is my doc. Here I am almost a year out and 75 pounds down. The office staff is pretty nice (in Tacoma). He is a pretty nice guy. I don't have any complaints about him. Good luck.