Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've pretty much maintained for the last 5-7 months at or around 8-10 lbs from goal, which I still have yet to reach. (I was once 2 lbs away).

I travel a great deal for work, so eat out a lot and don't usually deny myself much. Overall I eat somewhat healthy for the most part, even when eating out, but bad habits can sneak back in. Where I still could not tolerate certain foods at 14 months, I can now eat anything and everything with no problem. I can also eat more than I could in the past. Though I will probably get fussed at, I do drink alcohol when I want (craft beer, wine, mixed drinks), snack, don't measure food, don't count calories, don't exclude any foods, skip Breakfast, occasionally drink a few sips with meals, don't always eat enough Protein, and I never exercise. With all of that said, I am still stabilized on average around 8 lbs from goal with indulgences.

Last week I decided to regain some measure of control over my relationship with food and the bad habits that I have been allowing to become more and more a normal part of my eating habits. My first thought was a lot of fear. That I couldn't do it. That I would fail (again!). Those old fears from a lifetime don't just vanish. If I never reach "goal" I'll be ok. It isn't an end all and I don't know if I could realistically maintain it considering my lifestyle and choices. But I do want to address creeping gains. 3 lbs become 5 lbs become 6 lbs become 8 then 10.

Changes I have made are focused on protein and Fiber, small portions of lean meat and good fats (chicken, eggs, olive oil), fresh vegetables (spinach, kale, cucumbers, celery), and some fresh fruit (frozen banana slices, frozen grapes, watermelon juice), and a few random carbs (Beans, Stacy's pita chips ....yeah, I know....). So mostly protein, fiber, a very small bit of good fat, and some carbs. I also allow myself a few teaspoons of ice cream at night. Maybe two. Ben and Jerry's.

Outside of the Ben and Jerry's and pita chips, I'm averaging around 850 calories a day easily. Not saying this is good or bad or what anyone should do. I'm no nutritionist and have no medical expertise relating to proper maintenance nutrition. But I will say that it has been surprisingly easy, which would have been impossible pre-VSG. I attribute most of it to the reduction in ghrelin. The added fiber has brought on a lot of stinky gas and I'll take that any day. I am not going to eat like this every day. I plan on doing it for around 80% of the meals I eat during the month of June, with the other meals more relaxed in composition. In 3 days I've lost 1 lb, so far so good.

Just a share for anyone interested.

Hi I am only 5 months out and I fear this as well as time goes by. For now I am very strict on myself and what I eat. I am just afraid if I allow that one yummy carb I will not stop. I will be so glad when I get to my first goal of 135 at that point I will decide if I want to lose 10 more (which I know my ideal weight should be 125).

Good for you for finding what works for you. For some of us it's the all or nothing thinking that got us to the point of needing surgery. I applaud your ability to make eating in moderation work for maintenance.

Edited by Cherryhair