Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Australian Bandsters Chat Thread

Hi Jet

Were you banded by Mr Aly at warringal? He was my surgeon and he's an absolutel doll.

:smile2:

Has anyone been banded at the P.A in brisbane? I know it's a public hospital but was wondering. Or has anyone been banded by a Dr. Ian Martin?

Has anyone been banded at the P.A in brisbane? I know it's a public hospital but was wondering. Or has anyone been banded by a Dr. Ian Martin?

Hey Sarah,

I haven't heard of anyone being banded at the PA, and I haven't heard of Dr Ian Martin. Is this through medicare?

Cause if I were you, I'd go through a surgeon who is better known, with a good reputation. But if it is through medicare, you may not get to choose a surgeon, right?

Annie x

Yeah I know what you mean, he's new but he has done alot of surgeries and I was referred to him by the pa, the pa only does 20 lap bands a year so I'm pretty lucky in that sense - as for medicare, I'm not paying for anything at all which is great, well obviously I have to pay for Optifast but thats only $200 all up for the preop and post op stuff. And he has a clinic at the Wesley so I'm not really that worried that he's a fraud or anything because it is quite hard to get rooms at the Wesley

Yeah I know what you mean, he's new but he has done alot of surgeries and I was referred to him by the pa, the pa only does 20 lap bands a year so I'm pretty lucky in that sense - as for medicare, I'm not paying for anything at all which is great, well obviously I have to pay for Optifast but thats only $200 all up for the preop and post op stuff. And he has a clinic at the Wesley so I'm not really that worried that he's a fraud or anything because it is quite hard to get rooms at the Wesley

All sounds pretty good then! I'm sure that the PA know who they're dealing with and they wouldn't mess you around. Do you have a surgery date yet?

No not yet, they said category 2 so that's 3-6 months, it doesn't bother me that much only the fact that I would like a date so I know when I can buy the Optifast and start it all instead of being in like a mad rush to get everything - I've been looking everywhere at the prices of optifast and wheres the cheapest lol so all I need is the date so I can go out and buy all the stuff I need, hopefully it'll come this month or so

No not yet, they said category 2 so that's 3-6 months, it doesn't bother me that much only the fact that I would like a date so I know when I can buy the Optifast and start it all instead of being in like a mad rush to get everything - I've been looking everywhere at the prices of optifast and wheres the cheapest lol so all I need is the date so I can go out and buy all the stuff I need, hopefully it'll come this month or so

Excellent! Well, optifast doesn't really go off (at least not within the next 2 years or so) so if you see it cheap, snap it up! The cheapest I've ever seen it is two boxes of shakes for $85. That's about as good as it gets, even at the discount pharmacies. Make sure you don't do ALL shakes, have some bars as well because if you're doing two weeks of liquids pre-op, then you won't really start real food until 4 weeks post-op.... you really MISS chewing! So make sure you get some solid optifast, or by the time you're post-op you won't want to face a liquid meal... and you'll have 4 weeks of them!

Hi Guy's,

I am 3 day's into my pre-op diet. Is it just me or something I should be worried about doing wrong. I was told by the dietician that I only have to replace Breakfast and lunch with the opti and have a low calorie dinner and 2 cups of free veges during the day. I am finding it not too bad so far - at least I get to chew something during the day. Even the Optifast is tolerable and I have not felt particularly hungry YEEEEEET. Time will tell.

Deb

Hi Guy's,

I am 3 day's into my pre-op diet. Is it just me or something I should be worried about doing wrong. I was told by the dietician that I only have to replace breakfast and lunch with the opti and have a low calorie dinner and 2 cups of free veges during the day. I am finding it not too bad so far - at least I get to chew something during the day. Even the Optifast is tolerable and I have not felt particularly hungry YEEEEEET. Time will tell.

Deb

Well, if that's what your dietician has told you then go for it. My pre-op diet was very different to that -- replace 3 meals a day with opti, no exceptions. Could have 1 cup of vegies or salad, but no potato, pumpkin, sweet potato or corn. Have they told you not to eat any carbs with your dinner? That was the absolute do-not-break stipulation on my pre-op -- NO CARBS AT ALL.

But if your surgeon has a different take on it, then just go with whatever they've told you. All surgeons are different, trust that yours knows what he's doing (and he will). :lol:

I was the same, Optifast 3 times a day and 1 cup of NON STARCHY veggies a day (I had spinach, bok choy, carrot, onion, squash etc). I had a shake for brekkie, a optifast bar for lunch (easier to disguise at work) and a shake and my veggies for dinner (I stir fried them with some low salt soy sauce, garlic and herbs).

Stick to what YOU have been advised by your Dr's/nutritionist though.....and it WILL get easier after a few days. I was hungry day 3 and 4 and was fine after that. Stick with it :lol: It will be worth it in the end, I lost 7 kilos on my pre op diet.

I was the same, Optifast 3 times a day and 1 cup of NON STARCHY veggies a day (I had spinach, bok choy, carrot, onion, squash etc). I had a shake for brekkie, a optifast bar for lunch (easier to disguise at work) and a shake and my veggies for dinner (I stir fried them with some low salt soy sauce, garlic and herbs).

Stick to what YOU have been advised by your Dr's/nutritionist though.....and it WILL get easier after a few days. I was hungry day 3 and 4 and was fine after that. Stick with it :thumbup: It will be worth it in the end, I lost 7 kilos on my pre op diet.

Thanks for chiming in, She Smiles! I'm a big fan of your blog!

Woo I feel like a groupie! :lol:

Thanks for the input - yeah I was told no carbs so dinners i have just been having a small piece of chicken or fish and salad veges -lunch has been a shake and leaves with a couple of teaspoons of fat free dressing. I would love to make some vege Soup but I dont think it will be the same without the pumpkin and sweet potato etc in it. I went back and checked out the papers that the dietician gave me just to make sure I was doing what she said because I was starting to self doubt. You know the more you read that someone else writes the more you think that what you have been told may be incorrect. But sure enough it's there in black and white so I will just carry on doing what I have been told and hope for the best.

Cheers

Deb

Thanks for chiming in, She Smiles! I'm a big fan of your blog!

Woo I feel like a groupie! :lol:

Awww wow. I feel really flattered. Thanks, you made my day :thumbup: You should comment on my blog - even if its to tell me to harden the f**k up (especially recently)! haha

Deb, sounds like you're doing great! Stick with it and you'll be fine!!

2 for $85 - cheap - if only I could find it for 2 for $60 lol. Yeah my dietician with my surgeon gave me this thing that outlines the foods I can and can't have while on the shakes, they aren't too bad and it says I can have them everyday but I don't think I will - I figure the first 10 days I might have vegies with dinner maybe 3 times but in the last 4 days before surgery I'm just going to stick to the Optifast. It's so confusing tho because she wants me to take all this other stuff like supradyn for Vitamins which is fair enough and then sustagen for Protein and stuff so I'm so going to be over shakes by post op lol

Hi all,

Newbie here! Have finally bitten the bullet and booked in my surgery. July 24. Not too far to wait at all.

I've a million questions and keep wondering about how much pain there will be but mostly I just keep thinking of feeling good again and being able to fit into the loads of clothes I have that don't currently fit.

I've previously done the non-surgical weight loss, Lost about 56kgs some years back and felt wonderful. However over the last few years it has started to creep back steadily so I am going down the surgery path.

One question I have and would love to get some comments on is this. I'm booked in for surgery on a Thursday, I have a positive mind & usually bounce back pretty quickly from illness and surgery. So I am thinking I could have the surgery on a Thursday and am thinking I could return to my desk job on the following Monday. I'm a contractor and don't get paid if I'm not there. So trying to pay for an expensive procedure and minimise the further impact of loss of income. Anyone have any thoughts? Much appreciated...

PS: thanks to everyone for the positive vibe on here and inspirational words..

Liond

weight.png