Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bowel Obstruction 18 Months After Surgery

I had to get emergency surgery for a bowel obstruction. Cause: I ate too much Fiber too quickly. That cause the small bowel to kink.

I did get a naso-gastric tube. It was truly not big deal. Just remain calm when it is going in and follow the instructions. Don't fear it. It made me feel so much better after one hour.

I am sharing these experiences in hopes of helping others.

Do go to the emergency room if you feel bad. Bowel obstructions, left untreated, can be particularly dangerous.

Lesson to me: achieve more balance between high-fiber and lower-fiber foods.

Wow! Glad it turned out okay. That must have been scary for you.

Amazingly it was not that scary. I had full confidence in the surgeon and hospital staff. I was discharged from the hospital today. Surgery took care of the obstruction. Surgery was laparoscopic and it really was not that painful afterwards. I was in the hospital for two nights. The lesson I learned is to be sure to go to the emergency room if you ever suspect a bowel obstruction. Taking care of it early is key. It turns out that the complicating factor was that I ate too much high-Fiber food too quickly. My instructions upon returning home were to follow a high-fiber, low-cholesterol, low-fact, low-salt diet, which is what I have been following anyway.

Even with this complication, getting gastric bypass was one of the best decisions I ever made in my life. I remain grateful for the privilege of having this surgery.

I'm glad you're doing fine. If I may ask how did you know this was different from just a bad case of Constipation?

Edited by Cherryhair

I'm glad you're doing fine. If I may ask how did you know this was different from just a bad case of Constipation?

I was able to distinguish from constipation based on the fact that food and Water would come back up. I would belch and Water or other stomach contents would come back up. Obviously this is not a pleasant topic but I share the information in hopes of helping others. It was vomiting but not high-pressure vomiting. Everything just slowly came back up.

Another distinguishing factor was the pain - far beyond constipation pain. I experienced pain that Left me sweaty and clammy. I felt sick all over. It was the same intensity as a Migraine.< /p>

By the way, I still have no regrets about the surgery. Life is so much better post surgery. One of the best decisions I ever made. The complications I experience are so much less difficult than the pains of being obese.