Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are nut butters too sticky?

So, I'm 5 days out and feeling pretty good. My recovery this far as been among the easiest I've read about on here. I was sent home yesterday and I'm allowed to eat small amounts of purees (my surgeon said I should aim for three tablespoons or so).

I'd been craving something salty so I mixed about two tablespoons of almond butter with some pumpkin seed Protein Powder. Over about fifteen minutes, I ate about half the mixture (probably just about a tablespoon). I'd been eating purees already, but this makes my sleeve feel... odd. It's not unbearable pain, but it's a pain I hadn't felt yet, a sort of rhythmic clenching like every 20 seconds maybe? I was wondering if maybe I made a mistake with the almond butter. Could it be too sticky? It's basically the consistency of runny all natural Peanut Butter if you need a point of reference.

Did anyone's surgeon explicitly mention nut butters? In Germany, where I live, they're not such a staple so if they are verboten during purees, my surgeon wouldn't have mentioned anything.

My NUT recommends to stay away from all nuts and nut butters for the first 3-5 months because they're so high in fat and calories. All diets are a little different though, so some might have been given the ok to have those things earlier. That said.. given your reaction to it, it's something I'd stay away from until your stomach heals a little more for sure. Whenever I wanted to get away from all the sweetness of puddings and popsicles and Protein shakes, I had salty scrambled eggs or cream of celery Soup.

I've been consuming so few calories lately, I figured if it was "healthy" fat and if I mixed in more Protein, it wouldn't be a problem, but you're probably right about my reaction to it. I ordered some PB2 from Amazon yesterday, so that'll be nice. Long term though, like once I get to maintenance, I hope I can get most of my calories from "whole" foods. In any case, I guess I won't be eating any more almond butter for a while.

I'll make a thing pureed black bean Soup tonight (also with some pumpkin seed Protein mixed in) and hopefully I'll handle that better.

I agree that, regardless of how healthy the fat choice is, nut butters have not been part of my plan because of the extraordinary fat content. Even nuts may slow down your fat loss in the first six months. You want to use IP your boy's own fat stores for now, and protect your very delicate tummy!