Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Experienced bandsters I need your help!! Please :)

Guest seattlecindy75

Guest seattlecindy75

Okay let me explain. I was banded a year and 9 months ago and have only lost 50 pounds now. I had lost 90 but have recently gained back 40 because I had to have a 2nd surgery to fix my band when it slipped. Now i didn't have a fill for a couple months and went right back to my old eating habits and gained that back I am trying to get back on track. I only have 1cc in my band but I do notice restriction and definately don't want to be how i was before the 2nd surgery throwing up everything when I was way too tight at 1.8 Im just not feeling in a good place. I feel like I have failed my band and failed myself. I was even thinking of switching surgeries to the gastric bypass and today it was like it hit me. I expected this all to do the work for me. I just wanted to see if anyone else has fallen like I have. I realize now that I need to work this band and quit being a baby about it. I am wondering though since it has been so long since I was eating right. Can you please give me an example of your daily meals. Today this is what I have had

Breakfast

Cereal ( cocoa krispies ) I know i know

soy milk

luncch

chicken salad taco time

snack

pudding fat free chocolate

snack

94% ff popcorn

no dinner yet.

Can someone please give me some advice. I've been so down in the dumps that Im having a hard time getting back on track.

Thanks in advance

Cindy

I'm sorry to hear you are struggling but in My opinion is you are having too many carbs. I do not see much Protein in your daily intake. I was told 60 grams of Protein a day.

Also for me if I start my day wit any carbs I'm starving allday long. NO carbs for me in the morning!Try starting your day with protein only and see if it keeps you satisfied longer. Cereal w/ milk loaded w/ sugar is easily passed through the band since you are eating it with milk. pudding is a soft food that goes directly through the band. You need to focus on hard Proteins like chicken, tuna, turkey. pop corn is all carbs..no protein. This could be why you are hungry all day long. I do not see any Water intake either ..are you drinking your daily Water? Here is an example of my daily intake

6:00 am 2 cups of coffee & 20 oz of water

8:00 am 2 scrambled eggs with spinach & a slice of turkey ham

10:00 am 20 oz of water

12:00 scoop of tuna w/ wheat crackers or sliced cheese with sliced turkey

2:00 20 oz water

3:30 20 oz water

5:00 whatever I make for the family for dinner which since banding have been much healthier dinners and I eat Proteins first then veggies, then fruits then carbs if I have room.

7:00 20 oz of water

during my PMS days I will have 1/2 cup of sugar free fat free pudding maybe once a month

Its clear to me that you know what to do..you hjave had success with the 90lbs , maybe its as simple as an food adjustment More proteins less carbs

I hope this helps

Hang in there~

Guest seattlecindy75

Thanks michelle, That is what Im looking for. I know i have been making the wrong choices lately. I do drink fluids but I have a hard time getting in my Water. I do drink a lot of the sugar free crystal light though. I figure that is good or better than nothing at all. I just started working out at curves. Im thinking of doing a modified type Atkins plan with a few fruits. Do any of you eat fruits or do you mainly stick to Protein and veggies?? Thanks so much for writing me back. I really need to hear other ideas to keep me motivated.

Thanks

Cindy

You are Welcome Cindy

I do eat fruits. I eat cantaloupe, honeydew & banannas but not too often. More veggies and Protein then fruit & carbs for me works best with my hunger. Well you look like you are off to a good start, Curves and a lower carb foods should both help you. DOnt get discouraged just keep telling your self "I can do this" becauseyou all ready have. It is a mental thing we all know this otherwise none of us would be here if it was that easy. Good Luck ~

Hi Cindy,

First, let me say WELCOME and I'm so glad you came here and posted. I've been needing the same sort of wake-up call that you came here asking for, but have been hesitating about posting it. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I'm not gaining, but I have been very much slacking off on even remembering that I am trying to lose weight! The good news about that it that it shows it IS possible to not be constantly aware of oneself as a WLS patient--simply take a vacation, as it were. And when we're ready to take the bull by the horns again, to refocus and reapply ourselves, the band will still be there ready to help. So I'm ready!! :)

I'm going to agree with Michele wholeheartedly about Protein for breakfast. I think if you make that one little change you'll be amazed immediately at what a difference it makes all day long. If you like the sweet stuff go for a Protein Bar and try to eat it slowly. I break the no-liquids-with-food rule for breakfast and eat my Protein Bar with coffee sips to cut the sweetness, and by the time I'm done my stomach is really FULL. And it really sticks with you MUCH better than cereal.

So try to do that at most meals. Just think "protein first" as often as you can. I can't tell you to avoid carbs, but I think you'll find yourself doing that naturally as you fill up on Protein and denser foods.

It's a first step, anyway! :D

Cindy,

You and I are in similar situations. I've been banded for almost two years, lost 80 pounds, get reflux, got unfilled, got refilled, got unfilled for a Tummy Tuck, got refilled...now down about 60 pounds.

Less than ideal food choices and way too much seat-warming going on here. Oh...I was talking about me, not you. I'm going to read the responses and learn a lot.

HOWEVER, :::insert drum roll::: I actually fit into a shirt at Old Navy...a tad snug, but hey.

Hi Cindy,

So glad you posted and have to echo what Michelle and Alex said. Protein, Protein potein. I do one egg and a vegetarian sausage for Breakfast, often 2 chicken legs and 1/4 cup of cottage cheese for a lunch or dinner, I also do cheeseburgers with all the fixings but no bun, etc. I still like my carbs but find I eat them much less often. I might have a bread product every few days rather than several in one day. I do still allow one sweet chocolaty treat a day but I try hard not to eat beyond that. Best wishes to you and keep us posted, Teresa

Cindy,

The key is Protein, Protein, protein. THese are some of the things I do to get my protein in and keep the carbs low:

Morning:

Carb Countdown Low Carb Fat Free Milk

70 calories and 12 grams of protein.

I make a latte with the Carb Countdown and my coffee

Low carb sugarfree yogurt

90 calories and 10 grams of protein

Carbolite Protein shake

21 grams of protein and only 100 calories. Also packed with Vitamins

lunch

Can of tuna (33 grams of protein for 6 oz) or a ham and cheese rollup or some turkey chili (25 or 30 grams of protein for an 8 oz serving) Omelettes made from Eggbeater with some lean turkey or ham and a little salsa

dinner

Some kind of chicken, fish or turkey with several veggies like sauteed mushrooms, broccoli, eggplant or zucchini

Small salad with lettuce Tomato, avocado, cucumbers and some fresh parmesan cheese

Snacks

Beef Jerky, airblown popcorn sprayed with artificial butter ( about 3 cups equals about 60-70 calories, low carb chocolate bars or a skinny cow ice cream bar. low fat sugar free yogurt soft serve, low carb tortilla chips (about 10 chips have 10 grams of protein) , soy chips, vanilla Protein Shake with 6 strawberries mixed in the blender with ice, two teaspoons of Peanut Butter on wheat thins

I hope this gives you some ideas. I eat about 1100 calories on an average day. Drink lots of Water and sugarfree non carbonated drinks like Fruit20, Propel Water, Decaf iced coffee, decaf ice tea, etc.

Babs in TX

334/198/170

6/23/03