Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 2 yrs 7 months post-banding. I hit my goal over a year ago, losing 100 pounds. in the past couple months i have had A LOT of stress & have been struggling with stress eating and eating when I'm depressed. I have gained about 20 pounds back. I know I have adequate restriction, as I have not had an unfill & if I don't chew good enough or eat on occasion fast I get stuck…so I know the retraction is there. However, I eat more than I should & my cravings are out of control. I've heard it's possible to stretch the pouch & I think I have done this.

How do I shrink it back? Do I start over with the basics of 1 week liquids, then mushies, so forth?

You can try the 5 day pouch test. It won't hurt to try it

What are you eating too much of?

Wht is the 5 day pouch test?

Go to www.5daypouchtest.com

I've done this twice now but just to cleanse my system. It's actually intended for bypass patients.

The 5 day pouch test is just some one's clever protocol to lay off food and do straight liquids to give the band a rest....returning the pouch to it's normal size....

I do straight liquids every 4-6 weeks, can usually tell when it's time because things start to get to the point where my portion sizes start to increase...and I am able to eat more than usual...or foods I usually cannot tolerate...

When a stretched pouch - dilation is suspected, a Dr. will empty the band, giving it a rest from eating solid foods...the Dr. can just as easily instruct the patient to stay off solids for a while, but seeing it was overeating that may have caused the dilation in the first place, he/she cannot rely on the patient following his/her directions...so it is easier and more assured to just empty the band...

Based upon the OP, from what you say, it must have been very tough to over eat regardless of stress, etc...you must have endured much pain and discomfort doing so....if you say you had the restriction you say, and not will power....

If you did force food beyond what the bad was telling you to stop, then yes...you should give things a good rest....

I find it impossible to overeat, no matter what is happening around me...the band is the band is the bad...period.

but just from normal everyday eating, I feel my pouch does start to enlarge to the point my portion sizes also increase.

So I say go ahead and try it...what do you have to loose, can't hurt anything.....see if it makes any difference for you or not...and let everyone know your findings.

Edited by B-52

B 52 how long do you stay on the straight liquid food plan (hate the word diet)? I think I may need to to this a I am feeling some pain when I eat and maybe even need to weight and measure a bit better. Don't want an unfill if I can avoid it. Love this new me, even though it scares me sometimes when I look in a full length mirror. Bought a new suit yesterday size 40 jacket and 34 pants. Never dreamed that would ever happen. Got to laughing the other day. them back on!

B52...I have never had pain when I eat. Over time my portion sizes have increased to a point I am able to overeat too large of portions. Because I did have adequate restriction to control my portion sizes prior to my overeating, I'm sure that my pouch is stretched out & just needs to be "reset". After 2 years of doing this, I know what adequate restriction feels like & I have not had a fill or unfill in over a year. I am good at taking small bites & chewing so I don't ever have a problem with being stuck. From time to time when I overeat I feel uncomfortable...like I ate too much...but no pain.

I did not exactly do the above pouch test, but This last week I did 3 days liquids & 2 days soft foods & that seems to have done what needed to be done. My portions are under control & I am feeling full faster, with the smaller portions. It worked great & I'm back on track!!

B52...I have never had pain when I eat. Over time my portion sizes have increased to a point I am able to overeat too large of portions. Because I did have adequate restriction to control my portion sizes prior to my overeating, I'm sure that my pouch is stretched out & just needs to be "reset". After 2 years of doing this, I know what adequate restriction feels like & I have not had a fill or unfill in over a year. I am good at taking small bites & chewing so I don't ever have a problem with being stuck. From time to time when I overeat I feel uncomfortable...like I ate too much...but no pain.

I did not exactly do the above pouch test, but This last week I did 3 days liquids & 2 days soft foods & that seems to have done what needed to be done. My portions are under control & I am feeling full faster, with the smaller portions. It worked great & I'm back on track!!

That's great to hear...my belief is that laying off food for a day or two will allow the pouch to come back to normal state, providing it is not severely dilated....

Also, it will only bring you back to a point where you were previously....it will it give you something you never had in the first place...

I say this because I have read posts from people who are just starting out looking for that "Restriction", and say there going to do this in hopes of achieving another level...when really what they need to do is follow the Dr.'s protocol in getting their band adjusted...and learning how to live with it.

I believe this practice of going liquids for a a day or two really only applies to veterans, those who have reached that point where fills are no longer needed and they know how to live day to day with their band....it is also then, as you say, when you can begin to tell subtle differences...as with your portion sizes....and experienced enough to tell when little things like this make a difference.....

I have a few days off of work this week...I think I am going to try to do this liquid fast or whatever you call it...so know I am so off program! thanks for the input B-52 and TMF...needed a kick in the butt for sure!!!

Yes, that's what I always do when I feel I've stretched my pouch. Always start from the beginning. Good luck.