Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op diet: What is the easiest diet that still makes the liver shrink?

Hello good people, :)

Ok, first I want to make sure my question is not taken the wrong way. :) I fully understand that the pre-op diet is both to shrink the liver and also to see if we can commit to the post op diet. I am not going to second guess my doctor and I will follow his/her recommendations.

However, that doesn't mean I can't present another possibility to my doctor and see if they approve it if I find their diet is very stringent, right?. They can say yes, or they can say no. I will do what they tell me to do.

So, what it the easiest diet one can follow to get the results of the liver shrinking. What exactly is the goal? It is supposed to use up stored glycogen, right? But also to deplete fatty deposits? So it needs to be low carb, low fat? Is it possible to get the proper results following like an Atkins diet for a month rather than a liquid diet for 2 weeks?

Edited by Travelmego

My doc had me on low carb Atkins induction style for a week. One guy had 2 weeks. He said that is strictly to shrink the liver. It's easy. My favorite meal is always chicken wings (without a sugary sauce, they are 1-2 carbs per dozen).

Hi @@lylabelle - What was the difference between you and that guy that did 2 weeks? I love chicken wings. They weren't considered too fatty? Congratulations on getting your sleeve! How are you feeling?

Edited by Travelmego

Atkins induction isn't about fat, it's about carbs and getting your body into ketosis and glycogen out of your liver. I had bacon and an omlet for Breakfast one day and I was good all day because of the fat.

No fruit, nothing with sugar, under 20 carbs total a day.

The guy that had 2 weeks was bigger, higher BMI.

I'm feeling so so. This morning was rough. The iv came out yesterday, and with it, the drip meds. Woke this morning in pretty bad pain, the wonderful nurse was quick to give me some morphine and it was night and day. I still have the drain in. My doc does 3 leak tests and today is a blue dye test. After that, the drain comes out and most say I'll feel much much better. I leave tomorrow, so I hope so!

@@lylabelle Wow so you are kinda PUI (posting under the influence)...and making sense!

I thought the pre-op was also to reduce fat deposits, no? If not, that makes it even easier. I am diabetic so I am already used to low carb.

Not much influence. Lol. Not getting loopy or anything.

Either way, low carb puts you in ketosis which does is job. Keep the Protein up over 65 at least.