Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Healing with a 2 year old?

I've read on this forum that may take weeks or months to feeling normal again after surgery. Can anyone offer advice what that's like with a toddler at home begging to be played with?

Hi I want to follow!!! I have a 4 1/2 yr old and a 2 1/2 yr old I am nervous about not being able to hold my 2 1/2 yr old!! Tentative Surgery date august 11!!!

Hi! I had surgery when my daughter was 2 (almost 3) and my son was 4.

I had surgery on a Thursday and had internal bleeding and a clot so had to have re-operation on Friday. Even with a complication and blood transfusions, I was up and totally fine by Sunday and I am not a tough person AT ALL.

I went back to work and my normal routine on Tuesday and it was tiring but totally ok. I didn't lift my kids for about a month, but they could climb on my lap and everything. As long as your little one can climb in the car seat, you'll be fine.

I have had an appendectomy and a gallbladder removal--recovery was easier than either. The worst part is making kids dinner when you're on pre-op liquid diet, lol.

My surgeon was Dr Illan and he and his patient liaison Omar (who is kind of like your assistant/boss/jedi weight loss master) were so great with following up with me. Best $4500 bucks I ever spent.

I am six months out and I am so happy to model a healthy lifestyle for my kids--hiking, sports at the park--all the stuff I would have been too embarrassed to do when I was heavier.

I lost very slowly at first and regretted the surgery, but then it just kicked in, and now I'm loving it. Good luck to you!

Definitely told not to lift, and with a toddler hard not to lift and love on them. But you can hurt yourself - even I lifted a laundry basket of clothes about a week after the sleeve and felt the effects about 24 hours. You can plan little picnics and fun things with your kids, get on the floor and play. Crockpots are awesome for one pot meals, so are rotisserie chickens to feed your little ones without much planning and time in the kitchen. This will be the best thing you ever did for your children. Good luck!

My kids are 1, 3, and two 4's. I had to have help for a week doing just normal stuff for them. After that I took over except for putting my 3 year old to bed because he's still in a crib. No lifting for three weeks or you could get a hernia.

keep a pillow on your tummy whenever you are sitting or lying down. Never know when there could be a surprise hug...or visit from a cat or dog.

I have a one year old and recovery was really tough. The first week I had a lot of help. But after that hubby had to to back to work and I had a ton of pain when bending for diapers etc and lifting. And she had a hard time not understanding why I wouldn't get on the floor with her. Everyone has different recovery experiences but I almost felt like mine took so long because when I would feel a little better I would try to do what I could with the little one. Then had setbacks from pain again. I wasn't pain free until 4 or 5 weeks. Good luck and take all the help you get offered is my advice.

My little was 15mo when I had surgery, and still nursing! She's small, under 20 lbs at the time ... The worst part for me is that we co-sleep to nurse and she'd kick my belly. I started putting a pillow between us, and after 2 weeks it wasn't an issue. We are still going strong with the nursing too... My milk supply hasn't dropped too badly.

The nurses and doc told me I could pick her up if I was sitting down - so I did. And if she fussed a lot or flailed, I'd just go with a calm "honey that hurts mama, let's calm down..." And set her down.

Now, the first week I couldn't particularly get up and care for her myself - certainly couldn't have done it without a ton of support from my partner and best friend!! I slept a lot (pain meds) and had to be careful getting up and such... But as the weight started sliding off, my ability to play with her and be active with her has increased dramatically!!! Now I'm dragging her out canoeing (poor kid hates her life jacket) and she loved cuddling my very warm squishy tummy.

So yeah, for the first week it's pretty hard. For the first month it's a learning curve (and you eat less than your kid!). And after that... You've got it. :)

I think the hardest thing about having a toddler and surgery is all the snacky foods she gets that I shouldn't have. ;)

Btw the surgery is easier than a c-section, if that helps!! :)

I've always heard not to lift until 6 weeks or so.. I am pre-op sleeve June 18th and I have a 13 month old. I asked my surgeon and he said not to lift more than 20=30 lbs!! That sounds crazy to me so I guess it wont hurt anything to lift her (she's small 20 lbs) but Im sure will cause pain. Im doing it over the summer so my older kids will be home to help 12, 10, and 5 but I don't like putting that responsibility on them..so hoping after the first week of not lifting...I will be able to do it myself..fingers crossed

My surgeon said no lifting more than 25 pounds for 3 weeks.

I had two c-sections back to back. I had my daughter in January of 2010 then my son in January of 2011 at ages 39 and 40, respectively. I would rather do that again than this. This was far worse to me than the c-section.

I have to agree with Tonya on the C-section comparison. For me personally c-section recovery went very smoothly, I was active pretty quickly. I heard that recovery from WLS was different for everyone so I was kind of counting on being one of the no-big-deal people ... no such luck lol.