Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wow! What am I doing wrong.

Ok so heres the problem, not a big one to most, but to me its big. I'm following my post op diet as instructed, watching the fat and carb content and I gained 2 pounds. I'm just barely eating 800 cals a day, cant hardly force myself any more than that. So what am I doing wrong. I was losing about 1 lb a day, I expected it to slow down but to go the other way has got me really really REALLY upset. I don't get my first fill until May 5th, 3 weeks away. I do know I'm not exercising much yet, due to years of not and bad knees and still very sore in port area, but I am doing a small 10 minute all body routine each day. I know give up the excuses and get off your a**. Help me get back on track.

the most important thing is to heal first, you seem to be doing just fine. Don't weigh yourself everyday, it could be just fluids. After your first fill you should start the road on losing weight.

You are only a month out, so be patient. Are you getting all of your Water in? It looks like you have already lost 28 pounds, which is great. 2 pounds can be from Constipation, PMS, etc. Don't fret! Exercise and a fill should help. Try taking your measurements, you may see a loss there when you don't see it on the scale. There are so many non-scale victories out there for you- have your cholesterol and blood pressure checked, try on an old pair of pants or look at some fat pictures! Life is getting better everyday, even if the scale disagrees! Hang in there.

I found that I started losing intermittently. I'd plateau and then drop. Plateau and then drop. I figure my body is taking time to adjust...or it's waiting for my skin to catch up and shrink. :-) Who knows. I know it's hard not to sweat it, but don't sweat it! Weight loss won't be steadily steady! :-)

within any given week, I can jump around 7 lbs or so. I'm between 195 and 202 right now (I wont say I'm in onederland until I never see 200 again!). I assume you are weighing every day; keep in mind that each day, your weight will vary, even if you are losing 'fat'. There will be times when the scale doesn't move at all (or in my case, up and down), but you're still shrinking. I've been the same weight for about 2 months now, and just a few weeks ago I went from a 16 to a 14.

I weigh myself ALL THE TIME, but I only let myself do that because weighing myself doesn't color my mood; ie: I'm not a raging b**** if the scale goes up and a happy person if the scale goes down, lol. I just take in the information and move on... in doing that, I've been able to see trends with myself, and so I have a better idea of my 'cycles' with this weight loss thing. I lose 10 or 15 lbs and then nothing for months at a time, then I drop another 10 or 15 lbs. *shrug*

And also remember....muscle weighs more than fat...if you are moving around, that can figure in as well :)

Thanks for your replies. I try to weight about every three days. I do this because I'm afraid if I weigh less often then it will sneak up on me and instead of being a couple of lbs it will be 10. Thanks for reminding me that muscle weighs more and to measure myself, I forgot about all the other whys and just focused on the scale. Thanks again for being there.

Thanks for the replies. I try to weigh about every three days because I'm afraid of the weight sneaking up on me. I would rather see 2 lbs than 10 lbs. Thanks for reminding me that muscle weighs more and to measure myself and that there are other reason. I forgot the possible whys and focused on the scale. Thanks for being there.

Also, something that I've noticed on myself....seems like I do better if I switch calories around a bit. Was trying to stay between 900 - 1000 a day, worked really well but I noticed that by the end of a week the weight would slow down. Then by Monday morning I would drop 3 # or more! The dietician told me that sometimes if you stay at an exact amount of calories your body can detect that. Switch up and eat 1200 one day and then back to 800 the next once or twice a week. Good luck and don't let it bother you! You're weight loss is great.....and it's not all about the weight, it's about your health and how much better you're going to feel even if your scales don't show it!

I agree a calorie range can be helpful, I do 800-1200 and that seems to help a lot. It averages to about 1000 a day. Keep in mind that on 800cal per day there is no way you can gain fat! Your weight will fluctuate with Fluid retention changes. Don't get frustrated, to gain a pound you need to eat approximately 3500 extra calories! If weighing makes you frustrated at times try weighing in less often. You don't have to worry about the weight creeping up on you as long as you keep track of what you are eating everything will be fine.

Also, something that I've noticed on myself....seems like I do better if I switch calories around a bit. Was trying to stay between 900 - 1000 a day, worked really well but I noticed that by the end of a week the weight would slow down. Then by Monday morning I would drop 3 # or more! The dietician told me that sometimes if you stay at an exact amount of calories your body can detect that. Switch up and eat 1200 one day and then back to 800 the next once or twice a week. Good luck and don't let it bother you! You're weight loss is great.....and it's not all about the weight, it's about your health and how much better you're going to feel even if your scales don't show it!

I have found the same thing to be true. I average 600 a day, but if I mix it up and do 400 one day and 800 the next, it seems to make a difference when I'm stuck.

Also, low carbing is VERY constipating. Keep that in mind.

One pound is 3500 calories, unless you've eating 7000 calories it is NOT fat, it could be poop, edema, additional muscle, etc. But not fat.

Thanks All, I tried mixing up the calories and carbs and this morning the scale is on its way back down again. Thanks for the support. I guess I panicked a little to soon. As I said, Thanks All, for the support.

YOUR THE BEST